Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bo**ocks off singer-songwriters

• 03-05-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Of a morning, I like to listen radio one, from about 8am to 12pm. And usually in the last half an hour of Pat Kenny's show (or whoever is filling in for him) they tend to have an Irish singer-songwriter plodding through their latest crap. I wish they'd bollix off. (The radio is on the other side of the kitchen and I couldn't be arsed getting up to turn it off when I'm forum whoring.)

First off, there's a couple of people I'm not directing this at;
    Blues guitarists
    Jazz guitarists
    Spainish guitarists
    Classical guitarists
    Folk singer-songwriters (they're off in their old little world)
    Guys playing the traditional stuff that dates back decades if not centuries
    And guys belting out a song for singalong (although they can have tendancy to **** up a good party, see Animal House for an example.)

The guys I mean are the crusty feckers who usually have a proto-typical Irish upbringing and the stories to go with it of lots of Catholic-rebellion, guilt and Mammies. They inevitably have a story about how they went to Sweden or Eastern Europe to record in some ****ty studio while getting away from the hassle and distraction modern life that us peons endure blindly. This gives them insight and emotional viability. The play uninspired guitar that a guy with six months experience could outplay while warbling on in terrible singing voice that couldn't be autotuned, even if they wanted to. They tend to idolise guys like Jeff Buckley and think he's the genius who mastered the craft and got the women which they're well on the way to mastering too.

There are **** all good singer-songwriters, i.e. guys with just their voice and a guitar (and maybe a few female backup vocalists doing oohs and aahs.) Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan (and Buckley as I mentioned) were of the very few who could make genuinely hearfelt striking music as singer-songwriters. I've been listening to Radio 1 for a few months and they constantly have these chancers on. Ireland seems to produce these hacks by the bucketload.

I wish they'd bollocks off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

There should be a 'First world problems' forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

They're crap alright, OP, but I don't think castration is the answer in fairness. That would make them MORE whiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

mike65 wrote: »

I'm not complaining about the Pat Kenny show, that's just the biggest example. These crusties also seem to infest pubs in West Cork and other new age havens. Are regularly seen at open mic nights, and sometimes even try and ply their wares on the street. It'd be great if their menace was confined to an immediate geography by getting rid of their presence on the Pat Kenny show. But this will be a prolonged campaign, and we need to start by saying letting them know that they won't get their willys wet by peddling this rubbish, and if they do it'll be with a very low class of women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

OP your biggest error is listening to daytime Irish radio shows in the first place. Of course they are gonna plug the hell of these Glen Hansard type **** heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You're too lazy to change the channel but you can write an essay on boards??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Radio Ranting n Raving forum if you'd like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I'd rather listen to a hundred amateurish singer-songwriters then an hour of the sh.ite on heavy rotation on every station. At least they try to have a bit of passion rather than a two line autotuned chorus and an electro/dubstep/pop fill x5

Although as a singer-songwriter myself, maybe I am a bit biased...but im far from crusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Buceph wrote: »
    There are **** all good singer-songwriters

Absolute bollocks, you clearly have a very narrow view of singer songwriters. There are countless brilliant ones, not just what you hear on the radio. If it really annoys you, turn off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It would be an improvement on Ray Foley or the likes playing 5 Rihanna songs an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

There are so many of them i just see them all as the same. A bit like indie music, its all the same and most of it is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

See? Just do as I do - don't listen to the rat radio. And don't eat toast either. A manifesto is in the offing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Buceph wrote: »
    I like to listen radio one
    Turning on the radio and expecting anything but the blandest of musical tastes, especially on RTÉ, was your first mistake. How old are you that you still think the radio plays music of relevance/quality?

Radio has a place but not as a source of new/interesting music. Now music backed up by a serious amount of major label support that has no artistic merit, that is what you will find on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It beats Spin south west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The first mistake was tuning in to Pat Kenny...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Shyte, dull, self-obsessed, dreary, boring music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Shyte, dull, self-obsessed, dreary, boring

Sums up Pat Kenny alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Pat Kenny's radio show is good. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Absolute bollocks, you clearly have a very narrow view of singer songwriters. There are countless brilliant ones, not just what you hear on the radio. If it really annoys you, turn off the radio.

Really? Countless? does that mean there are none and therefore cant be counted? or did you mean countless ala infinite and while they can be counted one could not complete counting them? haha, that was an hilarious joke not unlike one the great PK might make himsef!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

It's all David Grays fault!

I agree 100% with the OP. The sheer quantity and self confidence of these talentless bores is astounding. Who's been encouraging them? Honestly?

Codding themselves in thinking if they've got an accoustic guitar and a pained expression on their face their song is better or more authentic than the chart rubbish on rotation..... it's actually probably worse.

Paddy Casey scaled unbelievable heights of mediocrity with the turge he churned out until the little ****in hobbit got the message and ****ed off. Lets hope he won't come back. Prick.

Most of them wear terrible shoes, if any at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't think OP listens to Pat Kenny at all.

I couldn't find a mention of a banjo anywhere in his post. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I always dread the moment when the music stops and PK is moved to exclaim, 'Wow. That's a great sound you got there...'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I always dread the moment when the music stops and PK is moved to exclaim, 'Wow. That's a great sound you got there...'

+1

It's very hard to take seriously, but in fairness to him, I think he usually pulls it off fairly well given the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dwellingdweller: 1 week ban for personal abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I think it's probably less of an effort to change the channel or turn the radio off then to start a thread on the subject.

Advertisement