Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity not refunding customers who change from them unless contacted

• 03-05-2011 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Just to let anyone who changes from Airtricity back to ESB (or whoever), that if they are due a refund (this happened to me because my account was in credit) that they will not be given this paid this refund unless you actually contact them.
    Their excuse is that they need the customer to contact them so they know whether to make the refund by check or bank transfer.
    Very sharp practice in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks, I was considering moving, but they've nearly €200 of mine (don't ask) and suspected something like that would happen, so was holding off until I have some free time.

Did you cancel by phone or letter? Was considering writing to them saying "please cancel as of x date, and please refund money to me by y method"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Thats the case with all suppliers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Jemmy wrote: »

True, but they've already told me that it's not their policy to refund me the extra, and it's credited against my account - as they've now got 12 months + records of my usage and still haven't adjusted the amount they're taking, I'm building up quite a savings account with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Jemmy wrote: »

Really? So if you close your account with ESB/Bord Gais you have to contact them to retrieve any credit balance outstanding. Do they make any effort to contact the customer?

Thoie wrote: »
    Thanks, I was considering moving, but they've nearly €200 of mine (don't ask) and suspected something like that would happen, so was holding off until I have some free time.

Did you cancel by phone or letter? Was considering writing to them saying "please cancel as of x date, and please refund money to me by y method"

By phone. Was on hold for ages, so when I was asked why I was changing I said it was because of the long hold times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Why are you in credit? is this another case of DDebit gone wrong?

DanWall wrote: »
    Why are you in credit? is this another case of DDebit gone wrong?

No, was in credit because I was on the budget plan (where they estimate the amount you will use each month so that your bills are always the for the same amount) and they had overestimated my monthly amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

angryInch wrote: »
    Really? So if you close your account with ESB/Bord Gais you have to contact them to retrieve any credit balance outstanding. Do they make any effort to contact the customer?

yes. i was having terrible trouble closing my accounts with the gas company and only got it sorted yesterday when i went into foley street in person and spoke to someone directly. the customer service on the phone was apalling and kept fobbing me off saying that i will take a little longer

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

Thats the case with all suppliers

I know that with ESB if you close your account and the final bill has a credit balance and you do nothing they write to you maybe 5 or 6 weeks later say something like there is a credit balance of x on your account what do you want to do with it, or words to that effect. Dont know about Bord Gais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

When I closed my Gas account with Bord Gais about 18 moinths ago they simply credited me back automatically a few weeks later. I am in the process of closing my electricity account with Bord Gais, so I assume the same will apply (if I am in credit).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thanks for that info OP. I rang them yesterday and was on hold for 45 mins..

ESB have a forum here on Boards so you can speak to the agents directly.:)

Advertisement