Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Dips

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Hi Mark

I pm'd you yesterday on something else but over the weekend my connection had been up and down every 30 or 45 seconds or so - only since the the NGB was enabled on my line. I contacted support who mailed back there with the standard "unplug everything else" spiel even though it bore no resemblance to my original query. for the record there is a DSL only plug point in my house built in with the eircom phonewatch etc so I have no splitters in place, phone points are used in other rooms.

So anyway, it seems to be fine again this morning, so not sure if I would like this followed up or whether I just wanted a moan :) is there any guidelines on the noise levels you should be looking to get on the up and downloads (not sure what the correct terminology here is )

Thanks.
    Robert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark

I pm'd you yesterday on something else but over the weekend my connection had been up and down every 30 or 45 seconds or so - only since the the NGB was enabled on my line. I contacted support who mailed back there with the standard "unplug everything else" spiel even though it bore no resemblance to my original query. for the record there is a DSL only plug point in my house built in with the eircom phonewatch etc so I have no splitters in place, phone points are used in other rooms.

So anyway, it seems to be fine again this morning, so not sure if I would like this followed up or whether I just wanted a moan :) is there any guidelines on the noise levels you should be looking to get on the up and downloads (not sure what the correct terminology here is )

Thanks.
    Robert.

Hi jaggiebunnet,

Thanks for the additional info:

As per the PM I sent to you earlier -

I will look int the slow speeds you have been getting and I will get back toi you with an update by tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Thanks Mark - never got a PM from you earlier though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks Mark - never got a PM from you earlier though?

Apologies,

Just insuring you I have logged the issue and I will investigate your connection and get back to you soon.

Thanks, Mark

np -thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I've the same problem today in Sligo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Offy wrote: »
    I've the same problem today in Sligo!

Hi Offy
    if you PM your tel no. I can have this investigated for you.
    Tony

hi - just wondering if the tech guys were able to find anything out about my line? thanks.

Hi Tony / Mark

Thanks for the call I got yesterday - quick update on how I got on. Tried the various tools to trace what was going on and nothing obvious was showing up. Tried turning off firewalls, switching routers, cables still no difference. different computers no difference.

Then a strange thing happened. Went to run the speedtest after having ran it a few times already and I was suddenly getting > 5MB on my line. Hadn't done anything so i was confused but settled in to watch the football. Anyway, my wife came in after getting off the phone and went to use the web...no connection - connection kept dropping off and reconnecting. Clicked that it was working ok when she was on the phone (the phone is plugged in to a separate room in a different socket btw). So dialled the home number and got the phone online again...sure enough internet access was back at 5/6 mb. I hung up again and it was gone.

Next step, unplug the phone - worked perfect. Then I unplugged the sky box, which I had forgot about being plugged in but I saw the comment in the other thread about access only when phone in use. Worked ok, better than ok in fact, getting up to 7.2mb. plugged the phone back in and it is still working ok, checked this morning and still getting around 6.5 - 7 mb.

Now I have no idea why these different phone points were affecting things, I did note that the capacity of my line changed when the phone was in use as did my IP address (that last one could be coincidence).

The upshot is that the line is now working (touch wood) my phone is plugged in and sky can go whistle (getting rid of them anyway :D).

Again, thanks for the help guys -I have some of the specifics of the details if you would like a look - just thought I would post what I tried in case it helps others.

Cheers
    Robert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Tony / Mark

Thanks for the call I got yesterday - quick update on how I got on. Tried the various tools to trace what was going on and nothing obvious was showing up. Tried turning off firewalls, switching routers, cables still no difference. different computers no difference.

Then a strange thing happened. Went to run the speedtest after having ran it a few times already and I was suddenly getting > 5MB on my line. Hadn't done anything so i was confused but settled in to watch the football. Anyway, my wife came in after getting off the phone and went to use the web...no connection - connection kept dropping off and reconnecting. Clicked that it was working ok when she was on the phone (the phone is plugged in to a separate room in a different socket btw). So dialled the home number and got the phone online again...sure enough internet access was back at 5/6 mb. I hung up again and it was gone.

Next step, unplug the phone - worked perfect. Then I unplugged the sky box, which I had forgot about being plugged in but I saw the comment in the other thread about access only when phone in use. Worked ok, better than ok in fact, getting up to 7.2mb. plugged the phone back in and it is still working ok, checked this morning and still getting around 6.5 - 7 mb.

Now I have no idea why these different phone points were affecting things, I did note that the capacity of my line changed when the phone was in use as did my IP address (that last one could be coincidence).

The upshot is that the line is now working (touch wood) my phone is plugged in and sky can go whistle (getting rid of them anyway :D).

Again, thanks for the help guys -I have some of the specifics of the details if you would like a look - just thought I would post what I tried in case it helps others.

Cheers
    Robert.

Thanks for the comments Robert and for the detailed response.

Checked sync and attainables on your broadband connection this morning. This looks good - at 8Mb. I would expect your download speed to be in around the 7Mb. I can see where you were testing last PM. This is showing up on our radius (authentication) server, though I put down to your own testing on your different phone sockets - over the evening time.

From what you say, it appears the connection improves when you unplug the Sky box(s) and possibly try the modem directly on the master phone socket.

Please monitor and try a few more checks on your internal wiring system; with /without adsl splitter, etc.

Really appreciate you checking this yourselves. Let me know if you have further problems or if you need any advice.

All the best and take care.

Ant

Advertisement