Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article on Dublin's after-hour party/club scene.

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The economic recession coupled with tight nightclub licencing laws has led to a proliferation of D.I.Y., independent after-hour parties, raves and club-nights in Dublin. People have become fed up with being overcharged for alcohol in bars and being turfed out at 2:30am due to the strict licensing laws.

It is still a little known fact that Ireland has the earliest nightclub closing times in Europe. Instead of sitting around and simply complaining, various groups are channelling their anger and efforts into coming together and organising their own events which often bend or break the rules.

The article was written in March 2011, published in edited form in Look Left magazine and is now being published in full on the Come Here To Me! blog.

Available to read here: http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/and-the-beat-goes-on/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

are they still going strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

are they still going strong?
    Pretty much, people are sick of paying the prices and then getting kicked out at 2:30 to be ushered round town looking for taxis. Obviously if one opens up and starts gaining attention, it'll probably get shut down (Coppers not included ;)) but there's money to be made in them so new ones keep openiong and they're getting pretty good at knowing the laws I think. I was at the Wicklow one and the club was going till 6am, there was a garda car outside but just there to make sure everything went okay so not shutting it down.

Even the festival crowd are getting on board the BYOB thing, there's one coming up called something like Down at the Farm or something that the bus drives you to a location with acts playing and you drink your won drink, can't really lose.

So many of my mates left dublin cause there wasn't anything happening here but I'm finding these afters are increasing in numbers and getting much better organised. It'll be a nice summer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mntothat

The better ones don't advertise online for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

There was an explosion of 'after-hour parties' in Dublin towards the end of last year, there seemed to be more than one on every weekend at one stage.

I was at the warehouse in North Dublin on NYE mentioned in that article which got shut down, then I went to the place whose initials are SF that same night and it also got raided. Everything went quiet then for a while but they seem to be getting back going again which is good to see!

The SF crowd started back again in a new venue in town, it was raided on their second night there which is a shame because I thought the setup they had there was excellent and they seemed to be doing everything within the law. Hopefully they'll find a new venue soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

After being to quite a few of these parties over the last couple of years I wouldn't bother with conventional clubs anymore. The vibe is just great at these raves/parties. If they are organised well then the cops have a very hard time shutting them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I still havent been to one (not my mates thing at all) but i get about 2 txts a week from a crowd that do them, seem to be going strong.

I need new friends...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Fair play to those keeping the real vibe alive with these parties and long may they continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the less said on here and other public places, the better.

jtsuited wrote: »
    the less said on here and other public places, the better.

it's not often me and jeff agree but spot on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭DISCOTEKKEN

jonnny68 wrote: »
    it's not often me and jeff agree but spot on here.

yes yes writing articles about it & talking about online is not very conducive to their longevity now is it, surely whoever wrote that article has the cop on to realise that??

ps I haven't read it yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NoUAre

The bars and clubs are struggling so I'm sure the guards have unofficially agreed to turn a blind eye as long as they run the events properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

are these still going on anywhere?? if so could someone pm me??

gambit83 wrote: »
    are these still going on anywhere?? if so could someone pm me??

If you were a clubber on the scene you'd find out ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

jonnny68 wrote: »
    If you were a clubber on the scene you'd find out ;-)

well i've being out of the country for a while and wouldn't be as regular a clubber as in my younger days but still like to party every now and again!
    been at a few gigs and clubs and asked around but most people didn't know, i was told one address, went there and nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Anyone wanna fill me in on where these parties are happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭DISCOTEKKEN

Mahogany wrote: »

not being smart but you won't find out about them on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I agree, we shouldn't discuss this on a public forum. It's just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mongie2k

Mahogany wrote: »

Sure thing officer!!

Advertisement