Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beats by Dr Dre

• 03-05-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All

The girlfriend is looking for a pair of beats for her birthday. I've tried to tell her there are far better headphones on the market but she's not interested! Anyway, I obviously don't want to spend more than I need to and I came across the site below which appears to be the beats Ireland website.

http://www.beatsbydreireland.info/

The items on this site seem to be somewhat cheaper than any other places so I just wanted to see if it is legitimate. Has anyone used this? It looks real but I don't want to be caught!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I recently read an article about the amount of fake ones of these so be careful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoE4sbJMMFU

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Can't check out that site for you as I'm not on a proper computer...but as a rule,if a site is named after Product X and Country Y chances are it's a scam/counterfeit site.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

Have to say, I have a general distrust of .info sites.

There's every chance the site is legit, but I'd be very hesitant at using it, especially since it's apparently cheaper than other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Zamp

I think you guys are right. Having looked at the site again it doesn't look so believable. Best to stay away unless I hear different from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

just looking at this post that site is well fake so obvious,

this is the site you should be buying from http://www.beatsbydre.com/

Or the Apple store :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

100% fake !! Monster only produce their BeatsbyDre products in Black, White or Redsox Red limited Editions. The fake site advertises many colors and special editions listed on the Monster warning website: http://www.monstercable.com/counterfeit/

Simple Rule 1. If it seems to good to be true then it most likely is !!

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If you have to buy them the official website lists these as the places to buy them in Ireland.
    Apple
    COMPUB
    Dominic Smith Electrical
    EXPERT Ireland
    Harvey Norman Ireland
    Peats
    PrimeTime
    Runways Ltd
    SOUNDSTORE
    Tower Records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've heard that Fanny Wang make a very similar set of 'phones -- so similar that Monster tried (and failed!) to sue them to stop.

Keep them in mind (unless your g/f is a 'ho for the Dre brand :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I hope she likes bass, at least you tried to get convince her to get something else. They seem to have exploded recently without people actually caring to try better (cheaper) sets. I did see tk maxx selling them in town recently. HAd only 1 pair i think and loads of the gaga in ear ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

A friend of mines has beats headphones and they are brilliant I think I bought a set of skullcandy headphones off ebay for 50 quid and I think they are just as good and there is a lot of cool designs on them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kearney13 wrote: »
    A friend of mines has beats headphones and they are brilliant I think I bought a set of skullcandy headphones off ebay for 50 quid and I think they are just as good and there is a lot of cool designs on them

You're probably right, the beats probably are just as good as a set of skullcandy headphones. A narrow scope to draw an opinion of brilliance from, but if it's between the two you could well be on to something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

kearney13 wrote: »

I always wonder why people who've only listened to a few headphones say brand X are brilliant or some other hyperbole. Nobody in their right mind thinks the car they first learned to drive in is the best driving experience around. It might be the high water mark so far but driving a opel rekord up a boreen won't cut it when you've at least driven more than 2 cars.

I own a pair of skullcandy GI which still retail on amazon for €/£50 depending on the model and I compared it to my re0 which is a little bit more expensive at $79. Here's a little comparison of the two. I stomached 2 songs with my GI and at first I thought it wasn't bad but then after switching straight away I noticed what I was missing. All I hear is just bass which drowns out any of the highs and overpowers the middle. On the re0, I thought I was listening to my music at 320kbps bit rate but the GI half/quartered the quality.

The two songs I listened to were Daft Punk's around the world and Kings Of Leon's true love way purely by chance on my ipod. The start of Around the world has noticeable stepped increments in volume as it progresses but with the GI it's far less distinct as the bass dominated signature overpowers the stepped treble making it seem like a continuous increase. The re0 portions gives you a 3 course meal and the Gi only serves bass. For true love way it was a disaster on the GI as I couldn't hear the Oh Oh Oh Oh chorus and had to stop half way through. Rather than play the music as the artist intended, it decides to ignore parts of it.

Finally on reliability I've broken both of them but that's where the similarities end, the GI(s) broke through plastic failure through normal use (5 replacements), whereas the re0 went in a washing machine and had the jack broken. I managed to glue the re0 back together and solder on a jack to restore sound to both ears.

Just to give skullcandy a good point, if you're getting nostalgic and want to retry your first headphone, most of skullcandy's stuff is plastic so you can see how far you've came without having it turn to rust like the old opel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I've owned one set of Skullcandy IEM's in my time. I bought them when I was at 14 for €30, I was convinced they'd be the greatest earphones ever. When I got them, there was a degree of psycho-acoustics for about a month before I realised how uncomfortable they were and went back to my Creative EP-630 which were better quality and 10 times comfier. The Skullcandy have since broken with the right earphone no longer working.

True story. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've owned one set of Skullcandy IEM's in my time. I bought them when I was at 14 for €30, I was convinced they'd be the greatest earphones ever. When I got them, there was a degree of psycho-acoustics for about a month before I realised how uncomfortable they were and went back to my Creative EP-630 which were better quality and 10 times comfier. The Skullcandy have since broken with the right earphone no longer working.

True story. :pac:

That's what you deserve for buying Skullcandy :pac:. Anyway safe and sound bet is always Seinheisser, PX 100-II are brilliant and cheap. 200s are also excellent, a lot of their in ear phones are top notch and affordable too. AKGs, Shure and others are really good too but I'm finding them hard to come by here (AKGs) or massively expensive (Shure) hence Sennheiser. Good middleground, value for money and far better than Beats which are just awful imo (along with Bose and those Marshall headphone which are made by some rubbish taiwanese company).

Do Bang & Olufsen do headphones? I imagine they'd be spectacularly good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I love Beats, excellent headphones IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Weepsie wrote: »

Why's that? Have B&O suddenly stopped doing style over substance all of a sudden? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 brian807

yimrsg wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind thinks the car they first learned to drive in is the best driving experience around.

This is only true if you havent learned to drive in a Bentley GT continental

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

Have a look at these, heard from a friend they're a lot better and don't break as easy as beats :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHO9561-10-Headband-Headphones/dp/B003YFIU6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324682282&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Weepsie wrote: »

Don't B&O basically take Phillips innards and put them in more stylish outers, so you can basically get the same product, without the "cool" looks, for half the price from Phillips?

• Advertisement
Advertisement