Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant cat with weak hind legs

• 03-05-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a lovely cat, about 10 months old, she is very heavy for last month-she appears pregnant. She disappeared for a few days and just returned looking very tired and is dragging her hind legs along as though her back hips aren't strong enough to hold her up.she looks in pain. She is grooming herself a little and just ate some food but she can barely walk. When we try to approach her she gets scared and walks away. What can i do, what is it?
    please help.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Sounds like she got a clip of a car or injured her spine in some way.

This cat needs to see a vet immediately. Is the cat in the house? Does she usually come to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
    She is an outdoor cat. She isn't the bravest cat but would normally come up to us. But if we get any where near her now she runs away as she seems stressed. She is now lying in the bottom of the garden and if we try to catch her, chances are she escapes through the bushes and we wont find her at all.
    After looking at her some more I noticed that the front legs are also very weak... Is there any possibility that she is exhausted from being heavily pregnant and also not eating properly the last few days when she has been missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Cats usually cope pretty well with pregnancy so I'd be doubtful.

Can you ring your vets and see if they have the loan of a cat trap? Other than that I'm afraid I'm not much of a cat-catching expert but I know there's others on here that will be of more help than me. Hope you manage to get her seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Last night she disappeared again (after we tried to approach her) but this morning she was back in the garden, and a lot thinner. She must have had her kittens but we cant find them anywhere and she is still looking exhausted, but possibly slightly better than yesterday.

She lets us come close enough to bring out food to her, and once we have left her she then leans over to eat. She still will not let us come close enough to pick her up. her legs are still VERY weak...
    Any advice on what we can do next? I tried catching her but she was visably distressed and hissed (which she never did before) She will not let us pick her up so that we can bring her to the vet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

beatle wrote: »
    Last night she disappeared again (after we tried to approach her) but this morning she was back in the garden, and a lot thinner. She must have had her kittens but we cant find them anywhere and she is still looking exhausted, but possibly slightly better than yesterday.

She lets us come close enough to bring out food to her, and once we have left her she then leans over to eat. She still will not let us come close enough to pick her up. her legs are still VERY weak...
    Any advice on what we can do next? I tried catching her but she was visably distressed and hissed (which she never did before) She will not let us pick her up so that we can bring her to the vet...

If you'd taken the advice you've been given, and asked the vet for a loan of a cat trap then she would have had the kittens somewhere safe. Now, if there are kittens around, you can't take her to the vets, because they'll probably die. You have to find those kittens. Watch her and try to follow her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

She may die without intervention. Have you tried getting close enough to her to throw a heavy duty blanket over her? If you did that, you could quickly bundle her into a cat box or keep her securely wrapped in the blanket (less preferable) for transport to the vets.

Advertisement