Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[question]how do I train for faster recovery?

• 03-05-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

So here's the problem, most of the time I can drag my arse up pretty much any hill. The problem is it takes me a couple of minutes to get over that and back up to speed again. Worse still if there's another hill before I do, causing me to loose the will to live.

So my question, obviously, is how can I help to bring this recovery time down? Is there specific things I can do on my spins?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lose weight. lighter = less effort needed to haul yourself up.

slow steady pace up the hill, less exertion overall, less recovery time

miles = the more miles in your legs the easier it gets.

type of training: maybe try and do one evening a week which focuses on climbing rather than anything else. Do a lot of climbing, up and down the same hill even. The more you do it the more used to it and fitter you'll become.

physically stop for a couple of minutes and concentrate on slow deep breaths at the top of a climb, though not long enough to start to cool down.

keep well hydrated throughout your spins, being dehydrated makes everything seem harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

IMO fitness is all about recovery i.e. the fitter you are the less time it takes you to recover from exertion. That's how I sometimes measure my fitness, a) how much effort I have to put in to reach close to my max HR which I find harder the fitter I become and, b) how quickly my HR can return to relative normal after exertion. Maybe also the fitter you are the faster you ascent the hill and recovery time is the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sustained work between tempo and threshold (somewhere from "steady breathing, concentration required" to "heavy breathing, chewing the stem").

Decent cadence (90rpm+), as fast as possible for as long as possible, e.g. 2 hours three times a week.

The pain should be in the mind, not in the muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Sustained work between tempo and threshold (somewhere from "steady breathing, concentration required" to "heavy breathing, chewing the stem").

Decent cadence (90rpm+), as fast as possible for as long as possible, e.g. 2 hours three times a week.

The pain should be in the mind, not in the muscles.

Nicely said Lumen!

As Yoda said "Try not. Do or do not"!

As Mark Hammill (Luke Skywalker) said to Homer Simpson "The forks. Use the forks"!

And no, before you all start asking, I'm not a star wars nerd!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I should add that whenever I've attempted to train like this for any significant period of time I've found myself becoming very interested in anything that isn't cycling. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's hard to get a balance alright, some days I feel like going right back out and doing it all again, other times I couldn't look at a bike for a two days afterwards.

I've a decent enough cadence, easily 90+ and can chip along like that for a good while. Getting back to that after the handlebar biting sessions is the difficult bit. I guess it's just a question of overall fitness.

I can definitely work harder before getting to what I reckon is my max heart rate, than before. But it still seems like an age before I'm ready to get to that again, and I'm definitely not fit enough to be reaching any sort of plateau yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

To quote Greg LeMonde 'training doesn't get any easier, you just get quicker'.

Advertisement