Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Holidays in Courtown

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bmaxi wrote: »
    Each to their own I suppose, though if you enjoyed Jimmyz you can't be hard to please :).
    I'm surprised you couldn't get a Chinese as there are two Chinese restaurants in Courtown and the ones in Gorey are forever dropping leaflets, I'm sure they wouldn't ignore the mobile sites. Which site did you stay on BTW, Farrells, which is literally 100 yds from Jimmyz or O'Loughlin's which is in Ardamine, both would be first on the left depending on which way you are travelling? I ask, because often posters on here would be looking to hire mobile homes and as far as I knew, none of the park owners allow rentals. Has this changed or was it someone you knew who owned the mobile home?

Traveling from Jimmyz to Kilmuckridge it would be the first on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeh, the people here are great, unfortunately, if you're looking to get out of Dublin, then half of Dublin has done the same and they mostly move to north Wexford. Not exactly 'getting away from it all'

Courtown has become run down over the last couple of years due to some poor judgements by some developers and Wexford Co Co and an ongoing one between the owners of the hotel block facing the harbour and the Co Co and locals. When they didn't get their way with a huge development proposal a few years back they proceeded to knock out all the windows and put up scruffy hoarding. This destroyed the village centre and created a very poor impression, it was the developer's way of giving everyone the two fingers.

Another large developement was built but remains unsold so this left another pivotal area with a dead spot that again detracted from the area.

Courtown needs a full scale assessment and rejuvenation proposal which should be led by need, not by tax-incentives. It's not all down to the recession. People want to spend what little money they have at home locations and Courtown is popular. There is a good community here and an enthusiastic community council with tourism interests at heart.

Sorry for the rant, but it annoys me to see what has been allowed happen to such a lovely village as Courtown, which has so much potential and is looked on with enthusiasm by so many people. Your experience and those of others referred to in this thread are indicative of how Courtown is going if something isn't done soon.

I wouldn't see that as a rant at all, you make perfect sense.

The Bayview Hotel and the Courtown Hotel, both derelicts certainly give the village a wasteland, neglected look.

I thought the harbour looked really nice, its clean and colorful..

I take it your a resident of Courtown, tell you what never to allow there - CLAMPERS!.

It was a joy to be able to park up and not be on the looking out for 'em, they're a scourge which no town looking to promote tourism should allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Traveling from Jimmyz to Kilmuckridge it would be the first on the left.

That's O Loughlin's. It is a nice park, as indeed are most of them but I'm surprised you could rent a mobile home on it.
    While I wouldn't welcome clampers, a few parking tickets wouldn't go astray, particularly for the selfish twats with boats and jet skis who abandon their cars, trailers and 4X4s, often blocking the slip for the lifeboat or taking up the disabled spaces but you'd need to park on the Superintendent's foot for the Gardaí around here to give a fcuk. ( Now that's a rant :))

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭RustyP

Hi guys, me and my family are thinking of going to Courtown for a couple of nights and i'm wondering is there any hotels that any of you guys would recommend; one that'd be family friendly (3 month old and 2 and a half year old)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Amber springs in Gorey is the best hotel around. Loads for kids to do. Has crazy golf, mini farm, go karts, football pitch and loads of slides and swings. Only 5 minute drive to courtown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Not 2 far from Courtown is http://www.seanogs.ie/

Advertisement