Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathcore GC

Options
  • 03-05-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm a relative beginner but I'm playing twice a week at the moment and improving pretty quickly. I'm thinking about joining a club and Rathcore is close and I've heard very good things about it.

I have a few questions though if anyone can help me out.

Is it too hard for a beginner/improver?

How much is the greenfee for someone playing with a member? Say if I join and my brother/mate want to play with me?

How does one book teetimes? Does it tend to be busy during the week?

Could one rock up and play 9/18 holes without booking?

Any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Obsessed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bazzmundo wrote: »
    I'm a relative beginner but I'm playing twice a week at the moment and improving pretty quickly. I'm thinking about joining a club and Rathcore is close and I've heard very good things about it.

I have a few questions though if anyone can help me out.

Is it too hard for a beginner/improver?

How much is the greenfee for someone playing with a member? Say if I join and my brother/mate want to play with me?

How does one book teetimes? Does it tend to be busy during the week?

Could one rock up and play 9/18 holes without booking?

Any other advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Its a tricky enough course but dont let that put you off, it'll improve your golf. Mix of short and long holes and water. You dont need the driver on every par 4. The greenfee was €20 playing with a member. You can book teetimes on line once your a member, you'll need to get your handicap first to access this. Not overly busy on weekdays, opens tend to be on on Wednesdays and Thursdays during summer months. Usually no issue turning up to play to play 9/18, never usually waiting to long to get out. Its a lovely lovely course that you'll enjoy, the staff are always very friendly and Austin is always a good laugh. Was a member myself but unfortunately due to the recession i have had to let my membership lapse

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

Thanks Tang1! I very tempted I have to say. My other option is Moyvalley which has a driving range and playing rights at New Forest aswell but I'd be a bit concerned about some of the things I've read about Moyvalley's financial stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

tang1 wrote: »
    You can book teetimes on line once your a member, you'll need to get your handicap first to access this.

Are you sure about this? I'm a member of teetimes and have no handicap!
    You're right though, it is a nice course.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I'm a member of teetimes and have no handicap!

Maybe i'm wrong, but think O.P was enquiring how to book teetimes on Rathcore website. You need your G.U.I number or handicap for this.

• Advertisement

No Tang1, you're spot on. That's what I was looking for. Might play it on Friday and then make my mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

its a great course has a lot of risk reward holes which I think is what makes it such a good track, I played down their on good Friday and the course was in great nick the greens are tricky not many flat puts fairways immaculate and the tee box's were exceptional

If it wasn't such a spin away I would join in a heart beat as its great value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Maybe i'm wrong, but think O.P was enquiring how to book teetimes on Rathcore website. You need your G.U.I number or handicap for this.

Ah I see.
    Bazz, if you don't have a GUI handicap,best thing to do is ring them up and book a time. I've no GUI handicap and I've rang them a few times and got playing no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

its a great course has a lot of risk reward holes which I think is what makes it such a good track, I played down their on good Friday and the course was in great nick the greens are tricky not many flat puts fairways immaculate and the tee box's were exceptional

If it wasn't such a spin away I would join in a heart beat as its great value

Unfortunately that seems to be the very problem that Rathcore are facing in increasing their membership numbers - "if it wasn't such spin away.."

It's a really good track - difficult but enjoyable and at it's current offering is very good value.
    But it has no real catchment area and faces massive competition from other quality golf courses in Meath (closer to towns with large populations).

In any case OP - I would suggest that you phone the course and arrange to call down when Austin (the owner) is there.
    You will get all the info you need from him as any time I've played there - he's been more than welcoming and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Any past members out there wanna big the place up it knock it down?

I'm close to joining. Finally I think we may have found our home after a long exhaustive search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

I'm a former member.

Only negatives for me were lack of practice facilities (though no hassle getting out on course), lack of team golf (not in barton, metro, pierce purcell) and one bigger gripe was their fondness for stroke competitions (5 hour rounds that numerous threads in numerous courses have been dedicated to). Anyway I raised these issues and recieved favourable comment from the captain that they would be addressed. Due to financial reasons I had to leave so i am not in a position to comment on 2011.

All that aside, it is a fantastic challenging course, very highly maintained, and in my opinion the best value course in the North Kildare/Meath region. Ifthe above don't overly concern you then join asap, you wont regret it.

ASBO

Played and joined today. Delighted!

Played and joined today. Delighted!

Great stuff there pal. I'm close to joining myself. Will play it next week I reckon.

Might see you around the place!

the lawman wrote: »
    Great stuff there pal. I'm close to joining myself. Will play it next week I reckon.

Might see you around the place!
    Thanks man! Great course - looking forward to it a lot. We might hook up for a round maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Half day today so am teeing off this afternoon with a mate, played it twice before and really enjoyed it, roll on lunch time...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Is Rathcore a hilly/flat/undulating course? Out there in July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Bit of everything, greens are very undulating. It's a very enjoyable course, try not to lose your partners at the spaghetti tee box junction...

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

1916 wrote: »

Very hilly golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

1916 wrote: »

Fursttimer says it's a 'very hilly course' - it's not in the Delgany/Stackstown category - not even close, but there are a couple of short climbs around the place. Take a look at some photos to give you an idea:

Rathcore photos. I thought I had more than 5, but these will give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Fursttimer wrote: »
    Very hilly golf course.

What? Rathcore has one "furze covered natural hillock" in the middle of it where someone called it "tee box spaghetti junction". Bit of a pull from 4th to 6th but I wouldn't call it a very hilly golf course at all.

• Advertisement

What? Rathcore has one "furze covered natural hillock" in the middle of it where someone called it "tee box spaghetti junction". Bit of a pull from 4th to 6th but I wouldn't call it a very hilly golf course at all.
    It's not flat but it's not Slade Valley hilly either. It's undulating to hilly I'd say.

Of course, go ahead and compare it to some of the most-hilly golf courses scattered around and you can comment it isn't that bad. It's a hilly golf course.

It's not flat but it's not Slade Valley hilly either. It's undulating to hilly I'd say.

How you getting on Bazzmundo? What are you first impressions and did you make the right choice?

It's a hilly golf course.

I'm a past member there and its nothing like hilly, Esker Hills, Muskerry and Slade Valley are hilly courses. Rathcore is undulating as already said.

I'm a past member there and its nothing like hilly, Esker Hills, Muskerry and Slade Valley are hilly courses. Rathcore is undulating as already said.

Of course it's undulating.

But, you are trying to make out that you don't walk up hills? Just mere undulations? Pull the other one.

Of course it's undulating.

But, you are trying to make out that you don't walk up hills? Just mere undulations? Pull the other one.

Each to there own i suppose. You think its hilly its hilly.

Let's just agree that it's somewhat hilly.... and quite undulating.... Can't we all just get along:)

the lawman wrote: »
    How you getting on Bazzmundo? What are you first impressions and did you make the right choice?
    Love it! Delighted with myself. Course is in amazing condition. Struggling a bit at the moment but I can see myself getting it together. Brother joined too. Next step is to get my Handicap.

Love it! Delighted with myself. Course is in amazing condition. Struggling a bit at the moment but I can see myself getting it together. Brother joined too. Next step is to get my Handicap.

Great to hear. My joining partner is playing tomorrow and then we will make the final call on whether we join. Hopefully I'll be a fully paid up member by next week!

• Advertisement

Let's just agree that it's somewhat hilly.... and quite undulating.... Can't we all just get along:)

Apologies Bazzmundo, didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope you enjoy Rathcore. As i told you to begin with its a great course that will improve your golf no end.

Advertisement