Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 2nd Beagle - any advice?

• 03-05-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We have our 2 and a half year old now for just over a year. We got him from the pound after he was given up because he was given to an elderly man for company by his daughter not realising how much of a handful they can be!

So, we've just about put manners on him (a LOT of work) and we are looking at getting a companion for him. We have a big garden and he gets a lot of exercise thru walks, but with our first baby on the way in November, I'm sure these will dropoff.

A friend of a friend has a 7 month old beagle that they simply can't handle - he's just about ready for neutering. The back garden is already destroyed from the 1st fella so that's not a problem and neither is all of the training - I'm happy to go through it again. I just wonder if anyone knows of any problems that I might face by bringing a 2nd beagle in. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

It could be the best thing ever in that as they will both have company they may become less destructive and I found when I got my second dog my first became less clingy as he has someone to play with now which could be great for you with baby on the way!! I personally think dogs are happier with a pal!! Downside is twice the food bills, vet bills poos etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks CJF. After sleeping on it I'm definitely getting cold feet. Not sure if getting another hyper dog is the answer :(

Need to do some more research...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I agree with you. I think that getting a second high energy dog when you know you'll have less time to spend with the one you have already in a few months is a bad idea.

Advertisement