Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS measuring device

Options
  • 03-05-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Not a typical question I know, but I would like some info on the followng if possible please.

Looking for a GPs dvice that can give an accurate measurement, from point to point, but not a straight line,

I want to measure a cable run over about 20KM so using a wheel would be a very long walk. I have a bearing appication on my android GPS phone, it will mark a point and tell the distance to the next point from that bearing, but I want to be able to take into account the height changes etc.

We can drive the route and want to measure a cable to span the route,

So bacically is there a GPS device or application that will measure the surface lenght of a road and take into account the bends and gradient of the journey.

thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

MapMyRide?

Ask over the cycling forum, they'll tell you how accurate it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

will do thanks.

I dont even know is GPS maps or google maps already have this information in them, meaning that a distance could be measured remotely, thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It can be done on Google Earth by ruling a series of straight lines in a kinda join the dots fashion. Tedious but an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Stoner wrote: »
    Not a typical question I know, but I would like some info on the followng if possible please.

Looking for a GPs dvice that can give an accurate measurement, from point to point, but not a straight line,

I want to measure a cable run over about 20KM so using a wheel would be a very long walk. I have a bearing appication on my android GPS phone, it will mark a point and tell the distance to the next point from that bearing, but I want to be able to take into account the height changes etc.

We can drive the route and want to measure a cable to span the route,

So bacically is there a GPS device or application that will measure the surface lenght of a road and take into account the bends and gradient of the journey.

thank you in advance.

I think the quickest fairly accurate way to do this would be with a good quality GPS data logger.
    You would set it to log your position every so often, and afterwards you can calculate the distance using the log file.

It is important to have a good GPS chipset, good antenna mounted in a good place and a device that also logs accuracy information. I'd recommend a device that logs at 1hz at least but 5hz will be better.

Expect to pay €150 - €250 for such device.

You will have a record of the track, and will be able to import it into Google Earth etc afterwards.

Advertisement