Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling in the Soccer Forum and other problems.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Of course it does and I have stated it does. But not every single post contrary to your opinion is trolling, which some posters seem to think it is.

Distinguishing is the job of the mods, but the point I am making is there is a sense of entitlement with some posters that they are entitled to have posters clamped just for disagreeing with them. That has to stop too.

That does have to stop. However, as has been pointed out, there are plently of instances of trolling too.

You said in relation to previous debates that you should debate and not going crying to the mod. However, in some situations, people are just trolling. They specifically want the debate, and they want it to denigrate into ****. These situations are plentiful at present, and this is what we're talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote: »
    That does have to stop. However, as has been pointed out, there are plently of instances of trolling too.

You said in relation to previous debates that you should debate and not going crying to the mod. However, in some situations, people are just trolling. They specifically want the debate, and they want it to denigrate into ****. These situations are plentiful at present, and this is what we're talking about.

exactly. experienced users know what buttons to press in order to provoke a reaction and cause trouble and know exactly how to get away with it too.
    Hillsboro is an emotive topic, that is understood. But like it or not, there isn't a consensus on some of the issues around the tragedy. If Liverpool fans cannot debate the topic without deciding that anyone who deviates from their narrative is trolling rather than just has a different opinion then one of the following should happen:

- anyone who disagrees with them is reported for trolling and the mods ban them on request (the current state)
    - they grow up and deal with the fact its a multi fan forum and there will be opinions that differ from theirs, or even offends them on occasion(what should happen)
    - the topic is taboo and the mods don't allow any discussion of it (which no-one really wants).

coming from a man that once posted how liverpool fans are murderers (to get a response of course), I can't really take anything you say seriously on the subject of trolling. nothing ive read from you says you've changed since then either so, like it or not, your opinion on trolling is null and void

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PHB wrote: »
    However, in some situations, people are just trolling. They specifically want the debate, and they want it to denigrate into ****. These situations are plentiful at present, and this is what we're talking about.

Nail on the head.

There was an interesting point made on the general feedback thread about the feedback charter.

Should posters who've been perma banned from a forum have an equal say to posters who do behave?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

On my - admittedly brief - scan of this thread, there seems to be a handful of people I would consider to be (or have been) troll turkeys happily voting for the Christmas of preemptive banning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Jazzy wrote: »
    coming from a man that once posted how liverpool fans are murderers (to get a response of course), I can't really take anything you say seriously on the subject of trolling. nothing ive read from you says you've changed since then either so, like it or not, your opinion on trolling is null and void

No I didn't.

And the pot is calling the kettle black here - you are hardly squeaky clean on that front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Can I ask something here. Boards is a community website, the rules are not legally enforceable. I would think being part of boards is discretionary to a degree.

If the likes of The Muppet are continuing to wind up people by smart use of the rules, why do the Mods not just ban him. Reason - because he's a troll / smartarse / anything. It's clear most people and mods see him as such.

Just asking.

No I didn't.

And the pot is calling the kettle black here - you are hardly squeaky clean on that front

yes, you did. you are just lucky a mod deleted it and unlucky enough that a few people saw and remembered it.

and i just looked through all my warnings and stuff there from soccer - i have 1 warning (not even a yellow card) for trolling and another actual yellow card for it. both were from match threads of big games and getting carried away with it and both times i admitted it straight up. i know, im a loose cannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

yes, you did. you are just lucky a mod deleted it and unlucky enough that a few people saw and remembered it.

No I didn't. You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can I ask something here. Boards is a community website, the rules are not legally enforceable. I would think being part of boards is discretionary to a degree.

If the likes of The Muppet are continuing to wind up people by smart use of the rules, why do the Mods not just ban him. Reason - because he's a troll / smartarse / anything. It's clear most people and mods see him as such.

Just asking.

sure if they were to ban everyone that winds other users up the soccer forum would be decimated would it not?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70290423&postcount=21

No I didn't. You are wrong.

you know, in a weird way id have a bit of respect for you and how you post etc. you would stand by what you said, right or wrong, and you are obviously passionate. but just flat out denying a reality is pathetic. is there no weight in your opinion or what you say? am i just making up that you said what you said cos i dunno, im evil or something? what reason would I have to make up that you said such a thing? Im unsure what mod(s) were on the forum at the time but Im sure one of them can clarify for me if they remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

you know, in a weird way id have a bit of respect for you and how you post etc. you would stand by what you said, right or wrong, and you are obviously passionate. but just flat out denying a reality is pathetic. is there no weight in your opinion or what you say? am i just making up that you said what you said cos i dunno, im evil or something? what reason would I have to make up that you said such a thing? Im unsure what mod(s) were on the forum at the time but Im sure one of them can clarify for me if they remember.

He didn't say they were murderers Jazzy. There's no love lost between me and ONYD but what you're accusing him is offside tbh.

flahavaj wrote: »
    He didn't say they were murderers Jazzy. There's no love lost between me and ONYD but what you're accusing him is offside tbh.

he did, it was a good while back. more then 3 years ago. the mods deleted fairly sharpish. he was pretty new to the site at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

OK. This thread has gone from the general to the specific, back to the general and now back to the specific again.

this isnt feedback. This is turning into a trial by popular opinion on who is and is not a troll, complete with posting details of a post that was deleted, most likely for good reason.

The mods are well aware of users feelings about the soccer forum and they are currently discussing how to deal with this going forward. I'm closing this thread as it has gone full circle and it is only fair to give the mods a chance to make a decision based on the feedback that has been given so far.

LoLth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement