Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MapMyRide

• 03-05-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, this has nothing to do with cycling, but I was directed here. I'm looking for a GPS tool to measure the surface distance of a rout and take into account gradient. (I want to measure a 20KM cable run)

Someone suggested MapMyRide and directed me here to look for further advice. Here is the original thread.

Not a typical question I know, but I would like some info on the followng if possible please.

Looking for a GPs device that can give an accurate measurement, from point to point, but not a straight line,

I want to measure a cable run over about 20KM so using a wheel would be a very long walk. I have a bearing application on my android GPS phone, it will mark a point and tell the distance to the next point from that bearing, but I want to be able to take into account the height changes etc.

We can drive the route and I want to measure a cable to span the route,

So bacically is there a GPS device or application that will measure the surface lenght of a road and take into account the bends and gradient of the journey.

thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mapmyride.com
    ridewithgps.com

both have maps that you can put points in on and they will follow the roads and give elevation and distance detail.

Example: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/127251

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Or you could cycle the route using a bicycle computer, you never know maybe a helpful boardsie would do this for you :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

You could try the my tracks android app. It gives elevation + distance based on gps rather than map. I've used it cycling off road and it seems to work well. If you don't want to cycle it you could stick your phone on the dashboard of your car and drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone. Works perfectly.

e.g. http://runkeeper.com/user/johnlong/activity/33952411

PS: Unsure of the gradient factor you spoke of though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There's also www.gpsies.com

Maybe someone has already ridden the stretch you're looking for data on. Are you able to post up the start and end points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well its for someone else in the job do I'm not sure of the start and finish data, those initial sites are fine and work on an area up to and around the cable run but not on the tracks he wants to measure, its a pity as it was perfect info.

Will get him to try the android app as he has a desire HD. Thank you everyone for the help.

Advertisement