Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Survey

• 03-05-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭

Posting this on behalf of a friend.

She is doing her PHD and looking for people to complete her survey. I have okayed this with moderator Captain Havoc. It would be great if you could take the time to fill it out.

Her research is aimed at creating a personalised cycle route planner for individual cyclists in Dublin. You can find the survey linked below.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/cyclingsafety

The survey will take 7-10 minutes to complete. She would really appreciate your time and contribution to this survey. Please feel free to forward the survey on to anyone you think may have an interest in participating in the survey.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Done

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It won't let me in, so I think this must be a survey I completed a week or two ago when it was circulated by someone from my club

I must question the validity of a survey which targets specific groups such as the cycling forum and cycling club members as it is likely to give distorted results, given a large proportion individuals who are completing it are often like minded, or their views are influenced by what they read on here or hear from their club colleagues

The key to something like this is finding a way to get feedback from a full cross section of cyclists rather than focus on people who may be "tainted" by views expressed in places like boards. Indeed I think the views of non-boardsies and non club members may be far more telling of the wider view and experiences of cyclists

Anyway, just my two penneth ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    The key to something like this is finding a way to get feedback from a full cross section of cyclists rather than focus on people who may be "tainted" by views expressed in places like boards.

Arrest a bunch of red light jumpers and force them to complete the survey as punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

It won't let me in, so I think this must be a survey I completed a week or two ago when it was circulated by someone from my club

I must question the validity of a survey which targets specific groups such as the cycling forum and cycling club members as it is likely to give distorted results, given a large proportion individuals who are completing it are often like minded, or their views are influenced by what they read on here or hear from their club colleagues

The key to something like this is finding a way to get feedback from a full cross section of cyclists rather than focus on people who may be "tainted" by views expressed in places like boards. Indeed I think the views of non-boardsies and non club members may be far more telling of the wider view and experiences of cyclists

Anyway, just my two penneth ...

I know where you are coming form.

My friend said
    It has also been sent out to as many companies and cyclists across Dublin to try gain as many opinions from as wide a range of people as possible.

And thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

Done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just an additional comment regarding the sections of the survey regarding driver behaviour....

It doesn't really matter what 90% of drivers will do in 90% of situations, it's the coming together of ineptitude and circumstance that causes accidents.

For this reason it really isn't necessary for drivers to be extra-vigilant around cyclists, we need all of them to be adequately cautious.

If I could shoot every driver that overtook me on an approach to a blind bend there would be a lot of dead drivers. I guess pre-emptive attacks are only justifiable if you're a military superpower with the UN in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

done previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Lumen wrote: »
    Just an additional comment regarding the sections of the survey regarding driver behaviour....

It doesn't really matter what 90% of drivers will do in 90% of situations, it's the coming together of ineptitude and circumstance that causes accidents.

For this reason it really isn't necessary for drivers to be extra-vigilant around cyclists, we need all of them to be adequately cautious.

If I could shoot every driver that overtook me on an approach to a blind bend there would be a lot of dead drivers. I guess pre-emptive attacks are only justifiable if you're a military superpower with the UN in your pocket.

done!
    you missed out on a gun here awhile back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Did this myself , although I live in Waterford and the survey seems only applicable to youse "jackeens" , maybe some of the culchies input would be of interest ???;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

a large proportion individuals who are completing it are often like minded, or their views are influenced by what they read on here ...

You don't influence me.... I'm my own cyclist! I liked white before I started posting here, I've always preferred Italian bicycles to American ones, I was interested in Euro years ago and.... and.... and..... oh carp I'm a 410 sheep.

At least I still refuse to wear pink, I am an individual!!!
    Though this did tempt me the other day.
    20100409_GI_FAS_SS.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Did this a few weeks ago, was sent it through college email.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Just like a Deisetrek, I felt this survey was just aimed for cyclists around Dublin.

then other little things like for example:
    13. Please rank the following cycle facilities in order of your preference. (Please give each option a different ranking from 1 being the most preferable and 6 least preferable.)

so for one of the options there, Cycle lane on footpath. I have to give a rating yet i never had the opportunity to cycle on a cycle lane. Like my thinking...ya a cycle lane be great and i give it top marks buts thats just me being speculative. should have had a N/a option at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hossbox

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm done, too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

nm: needed to n/a the other answers

issues with Q14.
    answered - commuting 1-20%
    organised racing 1-20%
    training 41-60%

won't accept it.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

some of the questions which should be forced ranked (chose 1-6 in pref) are not, could throw out a few false results

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭corkchef

done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Done

Mini Survey

Did you answer "High skilled" on the question re your basic abilities?

Did you answer "more than 25kph" on average speed question?

Did you answer "not inconvenient" (as in I eat them for breakfast) on the routing question under "steep gradient" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭FatSh!te

done previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

DONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DrGroove

Done - I found that it was hard to describe my comutter route - as there are so many different types of road and cycle way that I use on a daily basis that it is hard to capture that information in this survey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement