Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading Sign

Options
  • 03-05-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

This is something which has bugged me in the last few weeks. A certain filling station in Letterkenny has a sign outside their shop stating ""Fuel Price Drop""......I usually get my fuel there and a few bits and bobs when i'm passing.
    The staff are always very helpful and friendly but what rags me is that the fuel price has increased by 3 cent.
    I dont want to name the shop on the forum, for fear of getting banned but i was wondering should i mention it to staff the next time i am in or will they think i am just acting the p***k.
    I know that the price of fuel has increased but i think the sign is misleading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gavmcfad wrote: »
    This is something which has bugged me in the last few weeks. A certain filling station in Letterkenny has a sign outside their shop stating ""Fuel Price Drop""......I usually get my fuel there and a few bits and bobs when i'm passing.
    The staff are always very helpful and friendly but what rags me is that the fuel price has increased by 3 cent.
    I dont want to name the shop on the forum, for fear of getting banned but i was wondering should i mention it to staff the next time i am in or will they think i am just acting the p***k.
    I know that the price of fuel has increased but i think the sign is misleading.

I can't say as I don't know the place, but the price of Diesel, Coal or Turf could have dropped, if they sell it. Hence "Fuel" price drop wouldn't be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont want to name the shop on the forum, for fear of getting banned
    Not at all. If its factual then fire away. A pic would help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

if its the same filling station Im thinking of, there is always a very low turn-out at the 'Attended Car Wash' they advertise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

There seems to be alot of filling stations increasing Diesel prices to supplement the petrol but people really need to shop around the price difference around Donegal is crazy and some of the more expensive garages are the ones with people queuing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

There's another station on the mountain top which is advertising the lowest price in town. I know of at least 2 others which are cheaper by 1c a litre for diesel. Blatant false advertising. As for the other station mentioned on the Ballyraine road, they may have diesel at 145.9/litre at the moment but that price definitely hasn't dropped down from a higher previous price. Again blatant false advertising. I suppose the real questions are why isn't there real price competitiveness around the town, why are all prices within 1c of each other and why do all prices change overnight everywhere by the same amount? Is there a mysterious overnight delivery of fuel to every station in the town during the dark hours of night???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

if its the same filling station Im thinking of, there is always a very low turn-out at the 'Attended Car Wash' they advertise :pac:

the owner of that petrol station <SNIP>

Mod edit: Please refrain from making speculative and potentially libelous comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

muckish wrote: »
    There's another station on the mountain top which is advertising the lowest price in town. I know of at least 2 others which are cheaper by 1c a litre for diesel. Blatant false advertising. As for the other station mentioned on the Ballyraine road, they may have diesel at 145.9/litre at the moment but that price definitely hasn't dropped down from a higher previous price. Again blatant false advertising. I suppose the real questions are why isn't there real price competitiveness around the town, why are all prices within 1c of each other and why do all prices change overnight everywhere by the same amount? Is there a mysterious overnight delivery of fuel to every station in the town during the dark hours of night???

;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 C81

Name and shame people!! They deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

If it is the filling station I am thinking about, that sign is very dangerous as it makes it very hard to see out on to the road when trying to pull out of there.

If it is the filling station I am thinking about, that sign is very dangerous as it makes it very hard to see out on to the road when trying to pull out of there.

Yeah i think you are on the right lines here.
    In fairness the petrol was 1.489 this morning.

• Advertisement

Is this the Top petrol station by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    Is this the Top petrol station by any chance?

Indeed it is, there is a few petrol stations like this ATM, makes me not go to them when its so difficult to get out again!

Stopped there about 2 weeks ago and got €40.01 of petrol and the tight &^*£%>"s took the 1 cent :mad:

Fags cost 10 cents a packet more in the shop also :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Stopped there about 2 weeks ago and got €40.01 of petrol and the tight &^*£%>"s took the 1 cent :mad:

Fags cost 10 cents a packet more in the shop also :eek:
    I'm guessing you paid by card?
    If you pay by cash they usually don't bother about the coppers.

kiddums wrote: »
    I'm guessing you paid by card?
    If you pay by cash they usually don't bother about the coppers.
    No, funny enough I had cash in my pocket for a change (jesus I just love the puns) and went in and got a paper, 2 packs cigs and paid for petrol and handed over 2 x 50 notes.

I didnt really catch what the young girl said it came to but I heard her say something like so many euos and 79 cents change. I couldnt figure out how I could have an odd amount like that in change so looked at the till receipt and sure enough the 1 cent over on the petrol was taken and the fags were 10 cents a packet dearer than anywhere else.

No laws broken but I can safely say that I will never be in the place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

No, funny enough I had cash in my pocket for a change (jesus I just love the puns) and went in and got a paper, 2 packs cigs and paid for petrol and handed over 2 x 50 notes.

I didnt really catch what the young girl said it came to but I heard her say something like so many euos and 79 cents change. I couldnt figure out how I could have an odd amount like that in change so looked at the till receipt and sure enough the 1 cent over on the petrol was taken and the fags were 10 cents a packet dearer than anywhere else.

No laws broken but I can safely say that I will never be in the place again.
    That is a bit odd.

I usually get petrol there. I've only paid by cash once and I wasn't charged the coppers (which was 6 cents).
    I'm always charged it on the card tho.
    I can't comment about the fags tho, don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ashydol

got Petrol in lk yesterday as it is still 151.9/L here and 143.9 for diesel complete rip off and they can't even use the excuse that they haven't had to refill their tanks as they are the one of the only petrol station for miles around...can only think of one other locally and its not in our town...

ashydol wrote: »
    got Petrol in lk yesterday as it is still 151.9/L
    You were ripped off with that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I didnt really catch what the young girl said it came to but I heard her say something like so many euos and 79 cents change. I couldnt figure out how I could have an odd amount like that in change so looked at the till receipt and sure enough the 1 cent over on the petrol was taken ... No laws broken but I can safely say that I will never be in the place again.

My husband works in a petrol station & when someone buys petrol/diesel all they do is "pull down" the amount charged from the system onto the till. If you're buying a number of things this will get buried into whatever else you're getting and the person at the till may not be able to amend/round the fuel bill without a lot of fiddling.

The lesson being: if you had only bought the fuel, chances are the person at the till would round the transaction down, but by buying a number of things it's quite possible they wouldn't have even noticed the fuel bill or been able to amend it.

Sorry Ayla but I respectfully disagree. I stop off in loads of filling stations/shops who operate the same system and very, very seldom do I ever get petrol only. The rest of the establishments dont charge the couple or few cents worth of petrol that most of us put into the tank.

In all my years of driving (and filing up) this is the first time that this has ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Ok, fair enough. Just trying to point out why it could happen, but you're right, it's probably just that the person at the till didn't think about it or just wanted to rip you off by charging you for a product you purchased. :rolleyes:

I was told by someone a few years back that most places dont charge you that little bit extra if you go over as the fuel doesnt actually go into your tank....it stays in the the pump line.
    Not sure how true that is though.

I was told by someone a few years back that most places dont charge you that little bit extra if you go over as the fuel doesnt actually go into your tank....it stays in the the pump line.
    Not sure how true that is though.

Sure if that was the case you'd get the fuel left in the line from the previous Customer so it would even itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Next time get €19.99 of fuel and wait for your change....:D

Thats what I do too my friends when they tell me "stick in 20", I only put in 19.99 and they come out of the shop laughing....

The filling station which i started this thread about have incresed their petrol price by 3 cent........and yes the sign is still there.

The filling station which i started this thread about have incresed their petrol price by 3 cent........and yes the sign is still there.
    Is that the Top station?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: Misleading signage.

There are plenty of filling stations around the border in the NW that use their big digital neon signs to advertise the price of their fuel in sterling, and put the Euro price in small plastic writing underneath.

So you always see this lower price and it may well attract you. I think a business in RoI should not be allowed to advertise their prices in sterling so obviously. By all means say what allowance you are giving, but to use a foreign currency to make your prices look better is false advertising imho.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: Misleading signage.

There are plenty of filling stations around the border in the NW that use their big digital neon signs to advertise the price of their fuel in sterling, and put the Euro price in small plastic writing underneath.

So you always see this lower price and it may well attract you. I think a business in RoI should not be allowed to advertise their prices in sterling so obviously. By all means say what allowance you are giving, but to use a foreign currency to make your prices look better is false advertising imho.

As far as i know you cannot display the sterling price on its own, you must also include the euro price on the same sign, thus the euro price below. Your right it shouldn't be allowed to be showng the £ price so prominently!

Slightly off topic but a petrol station / shop which is in ROI always ask you sterling or euro when you go to the till, so bloody annoying given the fact the legal tender for the shop is euro! They have often let out a "tut" when you say euro! needless to say i don't go there anymore unless i really have to!

Is that the Top station?

Yeah, thats the one. I'm nearly sure yesterday it was advertised at 148.9.

• Advertisement

Petrol is now 151.9 there this morning, but guess what......the sign is gone.
    I take it they read my thread.

Advertisement