Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Meat bought on expiry date home frozen on the day

Options
  • 03-05-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just enquiring on behalf of a friend, who recently bought fresh meat at a reduced price on its expiration date, when she got home she froze the meat. She took it out of the freezer about a couple of weeks later to defrost, but she was nervous about using it, so dumped it in the bin.

The question she wanted me to ask is, is it safe to eat such meats? Especially since the meat was on its expiry date and put in the freezer as soon as she got home.

Cheers :)

PS: I hope I have posted in the right section, if not please move it to the correct one. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yep should be perfectly fine. She should use it on the same day as defrosting it though

Or maybe the following day once it's kept in the refrigerator

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

for me it depends on the look of the meat and type, but I think once it defrosted and eaten on the same day it should be ok...........smell the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Please OP..the rule is.."if in doubt throw it out"
    You can not go by what the meat looks like or how it smells. vacpac meats may appear brown and unappealling due to the lack of oxegen in the meat...nothing to do with spoilage. Meat that can cause illness may not smell "off".
    Be careful...never gamble with foods that may make you ill...its not worth it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Hi,

Just want to say Thank You for all the replies and information of which I'll pass on to my friend.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

I used to be a Butcher, so fairly well up on this kind of thing. The meat on this occasion should have been okay. Another thing to consider is the type of meat.
    (i) Beef or Mutton (Lamb) tends to improve the "Staler" it gets. But within reason - if it's really smelly, throw it out.
    (ii) Pork or Poultry (Chicken/Turkey) is another thing. Salmonella breeds like crazy here. These meats should be frozen as freshly as possible and when de-frosted (in fridge) used as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement