Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a car in Florida on Internatioal licence

Options
  • 03-05-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Could someone tell me if it is possible to buy a car,get insurance and drive on an international licence in Florida.I realise i need to get a Florida drivers licence within 30 days of becoming a resident in florida.I'd just rather buy a car straight away rather than have to rent one for a month, while i am sitting all my test required.:)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You shouldn't have too many issues. When buying a car, you need to have a title & registration and insurance. The title and registration can be obtained without a US driver's license. You might have to call around a few insurance companies though for a foreign license.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Thanks

I think i will just contact some companies before i move over,and make sure i take a letter from my insurance company here with my no claims years.Not sure if it will make much of a differance but will give it a go.Thanks again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hey Lisa I know you're on the West Coast, maybe you looked it up for Florida too but I know it varies from State to State, for example in PA it is not possible to get a title and registration without either a state drivers licence or a state ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well that was the information on the Florida DMV site. They allow you to choose "alien" status when registering.

There's more information here. It seems the only requirement for converting your driver's license is your Non-US license along with your visa documents, social security number and proof of address as outlined here.

OP, the only official advice you should take should be from the official Florida DMV. There seem to be a lot of sites that have nothing got to do with the DMV itself and may give you incorrect information. The DMV site will always have a .gov domain (unless linking to another site from .gov).

To verify what you should do, I strongly suggest contacting the Florida DMV directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

hi i bought a car over there and got reg and title done no problem ,i got my friend to do it for me i had to sign a notre to give him power to do so with no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Progressive will insure you with a foreign driver's license, although they will charge a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Progressive were the only company to supposedly accept my Irish driving experience and insurance history, their quote was still twice what I got from Geico!!

Advertisement