Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Role play games and CTYI

Options
  • 03-05-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I noticed on the 2011 CTYI Student Information Booklet, there was a mention of "Role Playing Game Books (Or other items associated with role playing games)" by which I presume they mean d20s and D&D manuals.

Does anyone know the story behind why this rule exists? Has it always been there or did it spring from some incident?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

What I was told back in my time (01-05) was that it stemmed from an early year, when a bunch of guys had brought DnD stuff and spent large amounts of time in one of their rooms playing it, in lieu of other, scheduled, activities.

This may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

That'd be my guess too - those role-playing games are all-absorbing, which would kind of defeat a huge amount of the purpose the CTYI summer programmes.

In fact IMO - the greatest benefit from going is the social aspect! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vovone

Quest wrote: »
    That'd be my guess too - those role-playing games are all-absorbing, which would kind of defeat a huge amount of the purpose the CTYI summer programmes.

In fact IMO - the greatest benefit from going is the social aspect! :D

Strange really, considering (no offence, I'm one of them too) the people I've been to CTYI with are some of the most socially inept I've met (save myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Quest

Vovone wrote: »
    Strange really, considering (no offence, I'm one of them too) the people I've been to CTYI with are some of the most socially inept I've met (save myself).

lol - good to hear that you are the exception that proves the rule... :p

All I can speak from is my own limited experience - and what I found is that I sent a nervous, lacking in confidence child in at the start of the three weeks and got a happy, confident, disco-going child back at the other end.

And TBH I wasn't very impressed with the 'social eptitude' of some of the kids I've come across in your standard group of secondary school kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Vovone

Quest wrote: »
    lol - good to hear that you are the exception that proves the rule... :p

All I can speak from is my own limited experience - and what I found is that I sent a nervous, lacking in confidence child in at the start of the three weeks and got a happy, confident, disco-going child back at the other end.

And TBH I wasn't very impressed with the 'social eptitude' of some of the kids I've come across in your standard group of secondary school kids...

It seems to be pretty much a rule as far as I can see. I took a "normal" friend to a gathering of ctyiesque people once (I won't go into detail) but anyway he was quite taken back by the number of people as strange as I am he found there =P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement