Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price for 2 1/2 year old apple mac

• 03-05-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, could somebody please help me. I fell and broke a 2 and a half year old apple mac last week. The guy is looking for me to pay towards a new computer. Would anybody know the type of money I should pay him. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

What did you break on it (what type of Mac is or was it)
    http://www.mac2sell.net/ will give you a decent idea of the price, also look at adverts.ie for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Hi Hearney, thanks for the reply. I spilt some wine on it and it has a bit of moisture at the bottom but the keyboard does not seem to respond to commands either. The mac shop apparently said its un repairable.

Which of these models (if any) is it.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro

I've seen spillages on the macbook pro but yet to see a machine unrepairable.

Try to get a report on the parts that are affected by the mac shop.

If nothing else you could strip the laptop and sell the working parts to recoup some of the money.

Hi Hearney, sorry for the late reply, Thanks alot for those links.The mac was brought to compu-b in grafton street. They have said because of water damage the computer is beyond repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do you know him well,would he try to do you out of money?

If yes ask for you to bring it to repair shop yourself.

• Advertisement

I would have to look at it to be sure but I reckon eBay or adverts.ie could help you recoup some of you losses as the mac parts can be expensive.

The same link above will give you a list of parts with prices.

If you are sure the laptop is not repairable I will take a look to see what if anything can be saved. If you want to send it to waterford that is.

Be sure to check out the refurbished laptops here
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro?mco=MjEwNTY3ODE
    They come with a 12 month warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Send it to apple themselves?

Sorry I forgot to mention that you could claim on house insurance if it covered. Worth checking it with the insurance company.

Hi Dave/Hearney,

Its actually a mate who has a german guy living in the house with him. He had us over for a few drinks and I managed to trip over aload of wires going across the ground and land on the laptop. The computer had what looked like moisture on the part where you have the icons of your computer at the bottom of the screen. The tracker pad did not work to well either. I take his word that its broken and compu b of grafton street said its un repairable.

Now my friend and his mother, who gave me a right earfull today because the german has not paid them the rent seem to think I should just fork out for a new laptop. There is no way Im buying a new computer, Its 2 and a half years old. So i suggested id give money towards a new one. He just spent 990 or something on a refurb Hearny. I checked out that site and $300-350 was around the price I got back.If thats fair I have no problem paying as I accept responsibility. Below is the spec

Model Family: MacBook
    Processor: 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo (T7200)
    Manufacturer: Intel
    # of CPUs: 1
    Codename: Merom
    Display:
    Size: 13.3"
    Finish: Glossy
    Resolution: 1280x800
    Backlight: CCFL
    Memory: 1GB PC2-5300 SODIMM
    Brand: Apple
    Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
    Color(s): White
    Original OS: Mac OS X v10.4.8
    Battery: 55-watt-hour removable lithium-polymer
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950 (64MB RAM)
    Storage: 80GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"
    Optical Drive: 6x DL Superdrive
    Model Number: A1181
    Sales Number(s): MA700LL/A
    Machine Number(s): MacBook2,1
    Dimensions: 1.08 x 12.78 x 8.92 in
    Weight: 5.2 lb

Production: Nov 8, 2006 - May 15, 2007
    Factory: China
    Production Year: 2007
    Production Week: 07 (February)
    Production Number: 8167

• Advertisement

Your Computer is a
    MacBook 13 inch Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz 256 / 80 GB / CD-ROM reader
    The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
    280 €

Learn all about your Mac - any Mac - at LowEndMac.com.

Would either of you think this is fair, I put the details I was sent into that link you sent hearney. mac2sell.

The more I hear about this the more its annoying me, if the house is rented the landlord should have insurance for these sort of things.

I dont know why you are even entertaining an earful off your mate and his mother you are accepting responsibility, but there is a big difference in accepting responsibility and being treated like a mug. Him holding back on rent is not your problem.

Why was a laptop he seems value so much left lying around when there are people drinking in the room.

Was the wine yours / if not where was it left / who owned the cables and why are they running across the floor.

It seems you are not the only one at fault here so unless you were very drunk I would not put up with the situation, you made a mistake and are trying to pay your part in it not give someone a free laptop upgrade.

Regarding the valuation a quick look on adverts shows a few options for very similar models:

http://www.adverts.ie/laptops/macbook/534303 better spec than the one you broke for 450.

http://www.adverts.ie/mac/macbook-2ghz-core-2-duo/551820 dropped to 310

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/computers/2091244 for 440

If you keep looking you will find a good deal on one and offer him the value of the deal you find if you are still willing to do that.

I know its very annoying but im sure they wont be willing to go through the insurance. Would you need to provide receipts and already have the computer down in the household contents. Thats what I was arguing about in relation to him not paying rent, Its not my fault and he is not justified to not pay them rent. To be honest I was very drunk and we had the wires draped across to play music outside as we were having a bbq. I cant even remember the accident but I believe the guy because he was sober, believe me it was a shock the next day. Thanks again for all the information ill let you know the outcome of macgate.

Now im getting threatend with the small claims court. This lady is mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That Macbook is about 4 years old if not more, not 2 and half. I'd be a bit wary of this guy. Offer to pay him the current second hand value of the machine (300-350 sounds about right) and possibly a bit more given the inconvenience.

Advertisement