Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Furniture - replacing/repairing chairs

Options
  • 03-05-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I bought a patio furniture set a number of years ago. It is outside all year round due to the fact that my shed is very small.

The table is marble-topped with cast iron legs and is fine. The chairs are hollow tubing with the seat part made out of plastic strands woven together.

Anyway, at the end of last year, the seats of all of the chairs have started to break - the plastic has become dry and brittle.

I have had a look around at replacements, but I generally only see full sets of furniture - not separate chairs.

Is it possible to by new decent chairs separately? Or, do you think it would be possible to have the seating parts of the original chairs replaced?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Where are you located and how much do you want to pay? Anything here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Ikea have lovely furniture at a very reasonable price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

B&Q often sell the sets as separates, you'll get packs of 2 chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Can you post a pic of one of the chairs? I wove the top of 2 stools with something similar to sea grass only it was a nylon or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks Woodturner - that was kind of what I was thinking about for a repair.
    Pic attached.
    Let me know what you think.
    D

• Advertisement

Yep , thats it exactly. I'll post a pic of the stools i done tomorrow and see if i can remember how i done it. They were done a good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Any luck with this? Would love to see how it was done and then maybe give it a go.

Sorry, been kinda busy. I'll get the photos up now in a minute.

Sorry again for the delay. I'd have to do it again to remember how i did it. I still have the hook tool i used when the strings got tighter and closer at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Away you go!

Or you could try the bottom option here.

• Advertisement

I'd use a more durable material than the one in the video for outside use.

Advertisement