Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest car rental company?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

In a few weeks my car is going in for an overhaul and I'll need to rent a car for a 3 days

Cheapest I've found have being:

* carhire3000 - punto/polo€58, focus €62

* airportcarhire.net - fiesta €59 golf €64

* sixt.ie punto €60 - focus €61 - golf €64

and all seem to have no problems with me being 23

Has anyone here dealt with these sites?
    they seem to be brokers to me

Hertz seem to be the cheapest of the big companies @€;73
    Avis €82, and enterprise over €100 due to a 'under 25 fee'

thrifty.ie/malone/carhire.ie/irish car rental all seem to be the same company,
    same search results/site template but very different prices with carhire.ie the cheapest,

plus they have a minimum age of 25 so I won't be using them

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Most of them will have an "Under 25" fee in the small print, I'm afraid. Often it's an extra €10 per day for insurance.

/edit: Just checked, and Hertz don't rent to under 25's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

did you try budget?
    im not sure about the age tbh, i rented a car from monday to friday last year for around €120, no problems with them, they didnt even look at the car when i returned it, and it was a nearly new seat ibiza with 2000km on the clock!

edit: are those prices per day or for the 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

bladebrew wrote: »
    did you try budget?

edit: are those prices per day or for the 3 days?

Never heard of them before, good prices but they do say €10 per day for under 25

prices I've been looking at are for 3 days

just seen this too:
    Airport Surcharge
    In common with many car rental companies a standard airport surcharge of EUR € 28.00 will apply to your rental when picking up from an airport location

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Haven't a clue about the price structure, but have you looked at the Go Car scheme provided by the council? You only rent the car for the hours you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The only ones that I've dealt with in recent times are Thrifty - (Oppposite the Airport gates towards Harlequins). I've always found them very reasonable and easy to deal with. Also, as I was using them fairly regularly for a while they 'relaxed' a fair bit and were never too strict on times and costs.

As the previous poster said Go Car might be a decent option too if you don't need a car 24/7, and lets be honest, how many of us actually do??
    http://www.gocar.ie/cms/carsharing/en/4/cms?cms_knschluessel=TARIFE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The last couple of times I've found going to Hertz via Ryanair.com is by FAR the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Used to drive a rented cars for a few months some tim ago - budget.ie was the cheapest. You may also want something like carhireexcess.ie if it's not once-off rental.

I'm not working for the above companies nor I have any benefit - I'm just a happy customer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Whats the story with the amount they block off your credit card - I rented a van last year from Thrifty but did not pay attention - I think they blocked about 1,000 from my card. The rental was cheap at 70 though.

How much do they block and is this stadard practice?

I think the standard is 700-1200 euro - for a cheap 4 door car. And it's good to have much more on your credit card.

A short story: trip to Italy, rented a car (1200 blocked on the card), stolen car :eek:, rented another one, same company (another 1200 blocked on the card).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's usual to have about 1k blocked on your card in the off chance anything happens. You also need to do a visual check of the car your hiring before you drive away. If you spot anything, scratches, kerbed wheels, missing antennae, scuffed wing mirror covers - note it on the form and make the staff aware. They can try to charge you upon your return for damage someone else caused.

They always try this sort of crap on in Italy for some reason.

• Advertisement

PaintDoctor is 100% correct. Ask to mark _everything_ that looks like scratch or you might have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Haven't a clue about the price structure, but have you looked at the Go Car scheme provided by the council? You only rent the car for the hours you need it.

works out very expensive, €55 a day + €50 registration fee

I work very odd hours, filling in for someone too and currently doing 6 days and almost 48 hours a week

think I might go down the donedeal banger > cork metal route
    that or chance the one of the few taxi drivers I know to do an off meter set fee

a fair few hidden things I hadn't taught of

- credit card block off
    - airport collection fees
    - under 25 €10/day fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

You're better off buying an ould banger for a few days by the sounds of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nealwilford

You seem to have some good options there. But just add http://www.pointcarhire.com/ and Hertz to your list. I personally look up at these two car rental companies when I need a rental. This will certainly help reducing your expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

Previously I used to rent from Hertz. Then, I always use www.enterprise.ie . One reason their office is in kinsale road,not far form city center and they offer pick up service. They have a good deal for weekend about 50 - 55 euro for three days in weekend. I am not take the full cover, though.

Advertisement