Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing a module / failing an exam

Options
  • 03-05-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

In one of my modules there was an essay worth about 60 percent and I got an A in it. For attendance (10%) I went to every class and most likely got an A in that too so technically I passed the module already. But the exam worth 30% went absolutely awful and I reckon I failed it. Am I gonna have to repeat the exam this summer if I did or does it matter because I passed the module anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Based on the marks alone, unless you've been told otherwise, I expect you're fine. Why else would the course co-ordinator divide up the marks that way? But we're not going to know exactly what the course policy is, so I could be wrong - the course co-ordinator is the person to ask.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Do students have to pass all components of assessment within a module?
    In most cases, no. Where multiple components of assessment within a module contribute to the final grade, the module will not normally require that any of the components have to be passed separately.
    However, in exceptional circumstances, for specified educational or professional accreditation reasons, a School, with the recommendation of the relevant Programme Board and with the approval of the relevant University Programme Board, may require an individual component of assessment within a module to be completed and passed separately in order to award credit for the module. Such a component is referred to as a ‘must-pass component’.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/faq3.html

I would imagine if you did need to pass all sections you would have been made aware of it as its quite unusual.

Most of the exceptions are in areas like medicine where you can't fail the prescribing drugs test but pass the Heimlich manoeuvre test and therefore pass overall ;)

Check the course descriptor or with the programmes office if you are still unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Thanks guys!! Phew...someone just winding me up so! It was definitely never said (well by a lecturer or tutor anyway) so I think I'm grand so. Just got a bit panicked. :D

Advertisement