Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failing exam in final year

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im in my final year and just wondering what happens if I fail an exam? Im in arts and compensating two E's from the winter exams.

Do I have to come back and repeat in sept?? Any help really appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you fail and its not compensatable (is that a word?) then you have to come back in September I'm afraid.

You can compensate 3 E's in any given stage (as long as your GPA is above 2) so you can afford to get one more E and not have to come back in September. Bit of an unambitious way to look at a degree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

You will also have to pay half the reg fee + the re-sit costs if you come back in Sept. Even for one exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Just don't fail it and save yourself the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I didn't think it was one I would fail until I got the result of the essay back.

He gave me a D, i never seem to be able to get very high in his classes, I do well in all my other modules, I just don't think he likes my style of writing or something :confused:

I'm going to ask him exactly where I went wrong, the exam is two essay based questions hence my worry :(

Is that 3 E's over the two years, the way they've now joined together 2nd and 3rd year? Or is it 3 per semester that you can fail? Quite confusing

I didn't think it was one I would fail until I got the result of the essay back.

He gave me a D, i never seem to be able to get very high in his classes, I do well in all my other modules, I just don't think he likes my style of writing or something :confused:

I'm going to ask him exactly where I went wrong, the exam is two essay based questions hence my worry :(

Is that 3 E's over the two years, the way they've now joined together 2nd and 3rd year? Or is it 3 per semester that you can fail? Quite confusing

You can compensate 3 E's per stage. A stage is essentially another word for year. I'm guessing you're in Arts? The weighting of your degree is split 50/50 between 2nd and 3rd year but they are still considered two seperate stages. So you can compensate 3 E's in 2nd year and 3 E's in 3rd year.

The reason they use the word stage is because of semesterisation, some people's degrees don't really go down the line of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year due to repeats, resits, taking time out of college, changing to another degree etc etc so its easiest if they deal in stages, which is for most people is the same as an academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WeeBushy wrote: »
    You can compensate 3 E's per stage. A stage is essentially another word for year. I'm guessing you're in Arts? The weighting of your degree is split 50/50 between 2nd and 3rd year but they are still considered two seperate stages. So you can compensate 3 E's in 2nd year and 3 E's in 3rd year.
    That's not really accurate. There's only two stages in Arts: Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 2 is usually completed in 2 years/4 semesters. You can't compensate until the end of Stage 2 which would be the end of third year for most people. At which you point you could potentially compensate up to 6 modules, provided you meet the other requirements.

That's not really accurate. There's only two stages in Arts: Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 2 is usually completed in 2 years/4 semesters. You can't compensate until the end of Stage 2 which would be the end of third year for most people. At which you point you could potentially compensate up to 6 modules, provided you meet the other requirements.

My apologies for getting that wrong.

Advertisement