Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Slim question

• 03-05-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I have looked around but could not see any relevant info on this but sorry if i missed any threads on it.

My 360 slim has got rather louder over the past few weeks. Its running grand so no issues there.

I think it may just be dust in the vents?

If so how do you clean them. I'm not sure getting the Dyson to it is the safest option!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Stick the Dyson to the vents, I've been doing that for years. Even then, you'd be amazed at the amount of dust that builds up over time. I recommend to everyone who has an out of warranty 360 to open the case up and clean everything, especially the fans! I use cotton buds and alcohol... the alcohol's for me ;)

If you're 360 S is near an open fire, you could find it's getting clogged up with fine ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

I have looked around but could not see any relevant info on this but sorry if i missed any threads on it.

My 360 slim has got rather louder over the past few weeks. Its running grand so no issues there.

I think it may just be dust in the vents?

If so how do you clean them. I'm not sure getting the Dyson to it is the safest option!

Cheers!

How long have you got the Slim because it seems to me that it couldn't be old enough to have got that clogged up.Moose is right in that the environment would have an affect on it.Still if the dyson doesn't work there's always the Guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

punk77 wrote: »
    How long have you got the Slim because it seems to me that it couldn't be old enough to have got that clogged up.Moose is right in that the environment would have an affect on it.Still if the dyson doesn't work there's always the Guarantee.

Had it nearly a year now. Every week I give the outside of it a wipe and there is a good bit of dust on it. But I will try the Dyson and see how it goes.

Don't really want to send it off to MS just for them to clean it when I could do it at home in 2 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Opened my now deceased launchy and cleaned it out, the amount of dust in it was unreal even from hovering it once in a while. Surprisingly doing that and clearing it out staved off RRoD recurring for a whole 6 weeks before it finally died for good :)

As said though if its in warranty don't open it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Had it nearly a year now. Every week I give the outside of it a wipe and there is a good bit of dust on it. But I will try the Dyson and see how it goes.

Don't really want to send it off to MS just for them to clean it when I could do it at home in 2 minutes!

Hey OP,could you let us know here if the dyson solves your noise problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The console for me is quiet but the fan in the PSU is very load. Would it be worth taking it back to gamestop under warrenty for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It work and made a wee bit of an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

edit. scrapped the pictures fromt he post as they were way to big. links to them are still below
    youd be suprised how much dust is left inside the xbox even after you clean it. i opened my xbox recently and the above are the results. the fans were then cleaned too which were covered in dust.

my xbox still sounds like a chainsaw though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

That usually happened on the old 360 before they bit the bust and got rrod.
    I'd be keeping and eye on your warranty if I was you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm having noise issues with my 250gb slim but it's due to the disk drive, not the fan. The noise when playing Fable II (installed) is insane, but you can't hear a thing when L4D2 is on. The disk spinning is so loud it overpowers the sound from the television.

I only bought the console last week; I returned the first one because I thought it was faulty but my second console is the exact same. I've no such problems with the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Never had any trouble with my 250gb Slim, although I do always install my games. It's not whisper quiet like some people would have you believe but it's a massive improvement over the old 360 and around the same noise level as my PS3 Slim.

Notorious wrote: »
    I'm having noise issues with my 250gb slim but it's due to the disk drive, not the fan. The noise when playing Fable II (installed) is insane, but you can't hear a thing when L4D2 is on. The disk spinning is so loud it overpowers the sound from the television.

I only bought the console last week; I returned the first one because I thought it was faulty but my second console is the exact same. I've no such problems with the PS3.

Sounds like it's the disk. Could be warped or unbalanced in some way and that could be causing the noise from the drive.

Advertisement