Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banana Jelly - Does it exist?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,

My wife is looking to bake a different variant of a cake she makes.

But she needs banana jelly. We can't find in any of our local shops.

Is there such a thing? Where can I get it? Would need to be able to order it online as I live in the sticks :)

Hope someone can help me. And if her cake is a success I get the recepie and post it here.

WM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I reckon your quickest solution would be to use gelatin and banana extract.
    Failing that, search for banana cream jell-o on eBay, uk importer has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Hi,

If you google 'banana jelly' this thread is the fourth item on the first page!! So my guess is...No banana jelly doesn't exist, at least it's not in the Chivers range...yeah i checked!.
    Bananas don't have a lot of juice so don't lend themselves to jelly making.
    They do have a lot of sugar though, so you could try to make your own.
    You could try this...

Grill a half dozen bananas, with their skins on, under a medium grill for about 5 mins each side.

Preheat the grill. Score the skin at both ends of the banana (through to the flesh) but not all the way around...i.e. leave the ends on. The bananas should look intact on the grill. Place the bananas on a baking tray with a rim. This way you will catch the juice. There will be about 100ml of juice if you pour off the juice after each side is done (turns black). Don't use very unripe bananas, yellow or with lots of black spots will make quite a lot of rich sweet thick juice.
    Allow the juice to cool and combine with one or two sheets of gelatine.
    Remember to soak the gelatine in water before combining the banana juice.

Most of all, good luck,
    GD

Edit..By the way, bananas cooked this way make a yummy breakfast, they look a bit dodgy when you release them from their black jackets, but smothered with maple syrup and your favorite natural yogurt (killowen for me) served with a freshly brewed coffee...oh yeah... a treat that's hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Banana jelly sounds yum, would making a plain jelly flavoured with banana liqour work..maybe not gerarduffs recipe sounds nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Or adding banana milkshake to gelatine?
    Edit: I just looked back over the thread, what an amazing idea that Gerarduff has!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Do you have an Indian/Pakistani grocers near you? My local one (Moore St in Dublin) has heaps of unusual jellys including 'nana

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Weikfield-Jelly-Crystals-Banana-Big.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement