Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used to be licensed driver in US -- Do I need an Irish learner's permit?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hallo. I had been driving in Ireland with a US driver's license, but this license has expired, and I need to get an Irish license. Does anyone know how it works if you've been licensed previously in another country?

I believe that if my US license were still in date, it would be a simpler matter of converting it to an Irish license. But since it's expired, do I have to start at the beginning with a learner's permit?

Thanks so much for any advice on this front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You were legally only allowed to use your US license as a tourist, so as soon as you became resident in Ireland, you had to get an Irish driving license.

Yes, you will have to start like a new driver and get a learner permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

You do need to go through the process of passing your theory test and getting your learner permit.
    You do not have to sit the 12 lessons or wait the 6 months. The law has been changed so that people with driving experience / licences from other countries are now exempt. You will need to sent the RSA your full US licence and they will contact the relevant US authority.
    You will however have to pass a driving test here. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Ok. Seems you do have to take the 12 EDT lessons. I guess I did not give that enough consideration.

But don't have to wait six months.

"A holder of a current full driving licence from another country (jurisdiction) for more than six months is exempt from this requirement, provided you forward a current original driving licence and a letter of entitlement from the relevant licensing authority..." from the below link
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

This was brought in retrospectively, the same may happen with the EDT lessons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IMO the lessons still make sense for anyone with a foreign license - it'll accustomise them to driving on the left/RHD cars/ and a variety of other things. Even roundabouts in some cases - not sure on their frequency nowadays in the US, but intersections seemed to be used instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 evilcurls

Thanks so much for these responses. Much help. God bless.

Advertisement