Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lately my new desktop has been been very loud, what is wrong with it?

• 03-05-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

The inside of it, the motherboard revs up and works overtime for a while and then stops. Lately the sound has been stopping I have go to go into control panel and sound, then in the "playback" tab disable and then enable my "speakers- 2 USB Audio CODEC" and the sound works.

What is happening with it? I assume the loud noise could be the fan? Am I possibly right??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Do you mean the fan on the motherboard or the fan in the PSU? The PSU fan outlet is at the back and top of the desktop tower, its probably that making the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Could be. If you want to you could open up the case (just one side usually) and either tip the dust out or blow. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area depending on the amount of dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Sound comes from internal little speaker not fans? because you are enabling/disabling it from Control Panel - Sound playback options right?

Re-installing sound card drivers might solve it. or chipset drivers if the sound card is intergrated into motherbaord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Make sure none of the fans are blocked? If the PC is heating up it will scale the fan speed up to try and compensate.

As suggested it would be wise to open the side of the case and clean out the dust taking care not to knock anything loose...

Also are you getting any crashes or anomoalies on the screen?

Could you give us more details on the desktop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Do you mean the fan on the motherboard or the fan in the PSU? The PSU fan outlet is at the back and top of the desktop tower, its probably that making the noise.

Yes, I say it is the PSU.
    freestyla wrote:
    Sound comes from internal little speaker not fans? because you are enabling/disabling it from Control Panel - Sound playback options right?

Re-installing sound card drivers might solve it. or chipset drivers if the sound card is integrated into motherboard.

The "fan sound" as I interpret is definitely from the fan, not the small internal speaker. Though sometimes I get little continous beeps, but it is hard to read them. The beeps are there sometimes, but not all the time. The fan is there most of the time, more than the little beeps.
    fionny wrote: »
    Make sure none of the fans are blocked? If the PC is heating up it will scale the fan speed up to try and compensate.

As suggested it would be wise to open the side of the case and clean out the dust taking care not to knock anything loose...

Also are you getting any crashes or anomoalies on the screen?

Could you give us more details on the desktop?

I only got it 2 weeks ago. The video card crashes sometimes, the card is Nvidia Geforce GT 320. I have a 3d ready TV and I had to upgrade to the latest driver version for 3d to work, and I did that. But the crashes have been happening since. Lately the "fan noise" has turned into more of a "chopping sound". It is not hitting anything, but I can hear it a lot more. Whereas before I heard the fan because it speeded up, now I can hear the fan piece itself moving it's pieces around.

BTW here is my comp: http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/desktops/HPCA07W6H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I would suggest backing up all your important data and getting it in for repair asap.

There is something badly wrong there whether a cable has fallen into a fan or the bearings are gone or whatever. As it will be well under guarantee id take advantage, you might even have a repair at home option.

Advertisement