Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Religion 2011

• 03-05-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I think I speak for everyone when I saw that were all screwed for this exam. But, lets not think about that & think about how we can do well in this mutha. So . . . What the eff do we study? Theres so much & my entire class hasnt got a clue. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

FTS wrote: »
    I think I speak for everyone when I saw that were all screwed for this exam. But, lets not think about that & think about how we can do well in this mutha. So . . . What the eff do we study? Theres so much & my entire class hasnt got a clue. :confused:

I agree with you 100%. It is an awful subject. I started it this year because I dropped to pass maths and thought religion would be an easy subject to get points in but i was greatly mistaken. The material is not that difficult but the course is just so broad. There is no way of narrowing it down as it is only a new subject and very few past exam papers. The books we use are the whole syllabus as outlined by the department so i guess we have no option but to learn each book cover to cover off by heart because basically they could ask us anything. I am seriously considering just dropping it..

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I just hate it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Aifric1

Religion is killing me. Our teacher put together his own mock after handing us "revision sheets" featuring everything that ended up on the mock, before marking it himself (rather than sending it to an external marker) so our results were utterly skewed. We've never done a proper paper, and for all Christmas/Summer exams he's given us every single question in advance. His notes are obscure and irrelevant. It's going to be an absolute joke when that Friday morning rolls around... Sorry I don't have anything that can help you, I'm at least as screwed as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hogwarts

How much I'd hate to do theology/religion on top of everything else...difficult? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Its nice to hear that other people are screwed too... we'll all be screwed together! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Framble wrote: »
    Its nice to hear that other people are screwed too... we'll all be screwed together! :)

+1 to that! Only handed in my project the other day, so far behind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

oh my god this subject is actually terrible....its near impossible to do it. the first book is alright.. my religion teacher had that down to a T..she knew how to lay it out. then we got this newbie teacher coz my good one is preggers and took a year off..im so screwed for the morality section and religion and science....does anyone have any tips?!? also the books i have are utter sh1te, they don't give enough information!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coneill

hi,

im going through the same as you guys, the 24th of june 2011 is going to be hell but i think that the sophist are a good bet this year as they haven't been asked since the first exam so you can incorperate socrates into that. i also think that once you know differences between 2 world religions you'll be fine eg the different rites of passage between two world religions,

hope this mite help!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 keeirs

coneill wrote: »
    hi,

im going through the same as you guys, the 24th of june 2011 is going to be hell but i think that the sophist are a good bet this year as they haven't been asked since the first exam so you can incorperate socrates into that. i also think that once you know differences between 2 world religions you'll be fine eg the different rites of passage between two world religions,

hope this mite help!

Strange enough both of those questions came up in my mock so good possibility i guess! Fecking hate religion lads :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I wonder will the religion of the person marking the paper have any affect on the points/grade the candidate will be awarded? At the questions subjective in nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

psni wrote: »
    I wonder will the religion of the person marking the paper have any affect on the points/grade the candidate will be awarded? At the questions subjective in nature?

i don't think it will, they aren't allowed to mark you based on your belief and they have to acknowledge your personal opinion. And I think like every other leaving cert subject its more of a case of what you know and how you answer the question that will determine your grade..

• Advertisement

At least for Sec A we'll have a choice thats all I can say, other than that i'm totally screwed, I probably would be good at the subject if i studied but unfortunately I don't.
    And I'm also annoyed because for the coursework there were girls in my class who have sisters in mater dei and got them to basically do it for them. I did the whole coursework myself and other people got an immense amount of help off the teacher, i know it'll stand to me that i did it myself but who's coursework will be better mine that i did myself or someone who got loadsa help off the teacher or a college student studying the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Any predictions lads?

I know the only right thing to do is study everything, but still, nice to see what the guesses are. :pac:

Sophists Socrates or something on philosophers thats my guess other than that ya really just cant call it with religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dont make predictions with Religion!...

I remember looking around the exam hall just after we got given out papers and seeing the shocked faces on everyone doing religion >_<

Chances are you'll have a few days off before it, use them wisely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Hey Guys...

I don't know why your teachers don't show you this.. we were showed them in 5th year and we were working on all the questions since then.. we completed them in February.. and we've been revising since them.. these are the exact questions they can ask you... they are so handy!

http://ress.ie/leaving_res_eng_a.html

Then go to "A check list for outcomes" this is for the search for meaning and values.. there's questions for each topic.. I know there's only 3 weeks to the exam so it wud be difficult to get all the topics done but some smart studying will really help.. ;)

Good luck guys..!! :D

These are just in case you can't get them! :D;)

A. THE SEARCH FOR MEANING AND VALUES
    THE QUEST FOR MEANING
    1.1 The contemporary context
    • give two examples from contemporary culture that illustrate the human search for meaning. Examples may be taken from music, art, literature, or youth culture
    • provide two examples of each of the following key questions that emerge in contemporary culture: the goal and purpose of life; the meaning of good and evil; the experience of suffering
    • identify cultural factors in contemporary society that can block the search for meaning
    • give two examples of the contemporary phenomenon of indifference to the search for meaning.
    • 1.2 The tradition of search
    • give a brief definition and explanation of the nature and purpose of philosophy in terms of the search for meaning and values
    • in the case of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle present a summary of two of their main ideas and explain why each idea was important in the development of philosophy
    • outline the place of the Sophists in the society of ancient Greece and their importance in the development of philosophical thought
    • on the question of the search for meaning: identify and briefly explain three key moments in the development of philosophical thought from the classical to the contemporary period.
    THE RESPONSE TO THE QUEST
    2.1 The language of symbol
    • explain why symbol emerged in the formulation of responses to the questions of life in each case, give an example of the power of symbolic language on
    – individuals
    – groups
    – societies.
    2.2 The tradition of response
    • outline three myths from ancient cultures which attempt to answer key questions
    • provide evidence of religious behaviour in ancient societies from each of the following: rites of passage and initiation; rites of burial and sacrifice; sacred art and artefacts
    • provide evidence of the sense of the sacred in contemporary culture
    • provide evidence of spirituality in contemporary culture
    • identify three key people in the humanist tradition. In each case, briefly outline one key idea of their teaching
    • define and explain atheism and agnosticism
    • briefly outline two cosmologies of modern science
    • briefly explain each of the following non-religious responses to the questions of life:
    – the secular humanist tradition :– atheism :– agnosticism :– reductionism.

CONCEPTS OF GOD
    3.1 The gods of the ancients
    • give two examples of the gods in ancient myths
    • explain and give two examples of polytheism
    • describe briefly the emergence of monotheism
    • explain the concept of God in each of the monotheistic traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
    3.2 The concept of revelation
    • explain the concept of divine revelation
    • explain the significance of divine revelation in two different religious traditions
    • show the impact of the concept of divine revelation on religious practice and on the interpretation of religious texts in the two religious traditions
    • outline the understanding of the transcendent in two religious traditions.
    3.3 Naming God, past and present
    • name and explain three traditional and three contemporary images of God
    • explain and give an example of each of the following religious interpretations of contemporary human experience: the prophetic, the mystical, the holy, the poetic, the aesthetic
    • outline the traditional proofs of God in the writings of Anselm, Aquinas, and two others.
    RELIGION AND THE EMERGENCE OF VALUES
    4.1 Religion as a source of communal values
    • outline the relationship between the understanding of the transcendent/God and the concept of the person in two religious traditions
    • give two examples of how these connections determine behavioural norms in religious traditions.
    4.2 Secular sources of communal values
    • identify three key moments in the emergence of an independent secular value system
    • show how communal values can be shaped by sources other than religion
    • describe three different ways in which religions relate to secular culture.

B Christianity: Origin And Contemporary Expressions
    THE RETURN TO ORIGINS
    1.1 The Pattern of Return
    • provide two examples of the contemporary trend of returning to origins in secular and religious traditions
    • in the examples above
    – state the purpose of returning to the founding vision
    – explain the effect of rediscovering the founding vision
    • briefly outline returning to origins as a pattern in Christianity as expressed in two of the following:
    – Céli Dé
    – the Mendicant Orders and their founders
    – Luther
    – the Evangelical movement in early 19th century Protestantism
    – the Second Vatican Council
    – liberation theology.
    1.2 Jesus and his message in contemporary culture
    • give one example of an image of Jesus from two of the following: contemporary music, art, film and literature
    • provide a brief analysis of these images in terms of their inspiration and relevance for contemporary culture and society.
    THE VISION OF JESUS IN CONTEXT
    2.1 The impact of Rome
    • identify one way in which Roman rule impacted on each of the following:
    – the political system in Palestine at the time of Jesus
    – the social system in Palestine at the time of Jesus
    – the religious system in Palestine at the time of Jesus
    • briefly outline the responses of the following groups to Roman rule:
    – Zealots
    – Sadducees
    – Pharisees
    Essenes.
    2.2 Evidence for Jesus of Nazareth
    • outline the key points in the religious evidence for Jesus from two of the following:
    – any two of the evangelists
    – Paul
    – Josephus
    • outline the key points in the secular evidence for Jesus from Tacitus and Pliny the Younger
    • evaluate the evidence according to the following criteria:
    – primary or secondary source
    – authoritative source.
    2.3 The teachings of Jesus and their impact on the community
    • outline the Jewish understanding of the Kingdom of God at the time of Jesus
    • outline four key characteristics of the Kingdom of God as preached by Jesus
    • provide an example of each of these characteristics from the preaching of Jesus.
    2.4 Jesus as messiah
    • briefly explain each of the following expectations of the messiah at the time of Jesus
    – priestly
    – davidic
    – prophetic
    • provide one piece of evidence from Jesus’ words, and one from his actions that shows his awareness of these expectations.
    THE MESSAGE IN CONFLICT
    3.1 Conflict with establishment
    • identify two key elements of Jesus person and message that were perceived as a threat to Roman imperial values
    • identify two key elements of Jesus’ vision of renewal and restoration that threatened the Jewish religious establishment.
    3.2 The death and resurrection of Jesus
    • explain why Jesus was put on trial
    • give an account of the sentencing and death of
    • Jesus as a historical event
    • outline the faith response of Jesus’
    • contemporaries to his suffering and death
    • outline the impact of the Resurrection on the
    • disciples using evidence from
    – the Gospel accounts of the resurrection
    – their new understanding of Jesus and their
    • search for suitable images
    – their sense of mission
    – their new awareness of community
    – their understanding of Jesus as the mediator of salvation
    THE FORMATION OF CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY
    4.1 The first Christian communities as seen through one of the writings of Paul
    • give an account of an early Christian community from either Corinth, Thessalonica or Philippi that includes
    – its geographical location
    – the main features of Christian belief and how that belief impacted on the lifestyle of believers
    – tensions within the community and any tensions with others outside the Christian
    • community.
    THE CHRISTIAN MESSAGE TODAY
    5.1 Interpreting the message today
    • select one of the following to show how the teachings and work of one Christian denomination carries on the mission of Jesus
    – give an example of a contemporary Christian response to violence or intolerance or sectarianism
    – give an example of a contemporary Christian effort to create a just and inclusive society
    – give an example of a contemporary Christian vision regarding the use and sharing of the earth’s resources
    – give an example of a Christian response to dying and death – give an example of the structures and authority of a Christian community.
    5.2 Trends in Christianity
    • outline some of the key achievements and key difficulties in the search for Christian unity OR explain the ways in which two rites of Christian worship remember Jesus
    • explain two contemporary understandings of Jesus and name the writer with which each is associated.

C WORLD RELIGIONS
    THE PHENOMENON OF RELIGION
    1.1Religion as a world-wide phenomenon
    • list different types of religion
    • give an account of the global distribution of religion
    • give examples of religious traditions in Ireland
    • describe, with relevant evidence, three major
    • trends in religion in contemporary Ireland.
    1.2 Primal religion
    • present a portrait of primal religion, and give an account of its important influence on all religion
    • write a brief paragraph on each of the following:
    – mana
    – tabu
    – totem
    – shaman.
    1.3 The holy
    • explain what is meant by ‘the holy’
    • outline what is meant by ‘sacred’ and ‘profane’ and discuss briefly their relationship
    • using examples of objects, discuss the relationship of the ‘sacred’ and ‘profane’ in religion
    • using examples of people, discuss the relationship of the ‘sacred’ and ‘profane’ in religion.
    A CLOSER LOOK AT THE MAJORLIVING TRADITIONS
    2.1 A vision of salvation
    • compare and contrast the vision of salvation/liberation proposed
    • compile a profile of ‘the human person’ as presented in each tradition.
    • describe how the transcendent and the human relate to one
    2.2 The community of believers
    • give an account of the place of community in each of the traditions
    • describe the organisation of people in the tradition
    • give an account of the structure and organisation at local and global levels
    • define ‘authority’, stating what it means and where it comes from in the traditions
    • describe how members of the tradition relate to and understand the world, and vice versa.
    2.3 A celebrating tradition
    • describe any rites of initiation associated with the traditions (or where none exist, another rite of significance)
    • describe how the tradition marks and celebrates time and or seasons, using examples
    • present key elements of the human life cycle and show how the tradition celebrates each.

2.4 Challenges to the tradition
    • report on the contemporary experience of the traditions, particularly in the Irish context
    • discuss possible future developments for the traditions.
    2.5 Inter-faith dialogue
    • outline clearly what is meant by ‘inter-faith’ dialogue and give examples of its origins
    • discuss the importance of inter-faith dialogue
    • name two contemporary conflicts where religious beliefs play a role and explain the nature of the relationship between religion and the conflict.
    NEW RELIGIOUS MOVEMENTS
    3.1 Cults and sects
    • define ‘cult’ and give examples
    • define ‘sect’ and give examples
    • discuss why these definitions are contested
    • list common characteristics/features of cults
    • describe what elements cults and religions share, and how they differ.
    3.2 Some new religious movements
    • provide a profile of two new religious movements focused on
    – foundations
    – major beliefs
    – lifestyle and customs/practices of members.
    OTHER LIVING RELIGIONS
    4.1 A living tradition
    • research and present an introduction to and overview of one living tradition from list, including
    – distribution graph/map
    – description of lifestyle
    – origins
    – persecution/conflict.
    4.2 Traditions in Dialogue
    • compare and contrast the living religion chosen and one major world religion under the following headings
    – origin
    – development
    – contemporary context.

I RELIGION: THE IRISH EXPERIENCE
    PATTERNS OF CHANGE
    1.1 Patterns of change in religious belief
    – identify the main trends in religious belief and practice in Ireland today
    – identify the patterns of religious belief and practice among young people in the locality and in Ireland as a whole
    – establish whether there is a difference between the patterns found locally and the patterns found nationally
    – identify the main trends of religious belief and practice in contemporary Europe
    – explain the difference between secularisation and secularism, and give a contemporary example of each
    – name a religious movement new to Ireland and give a brief description of it under the following headings: central beliefs; forms of worship; moral codes.
    PRE-CHRISTIAN IRELAND (Students study 2.1 OR 2.2)
    2.1 Local evidence
    – name local evidence of pre-Christian religion in Ireland
    – describe the religious beliefs and/or practices associated with this archaeological evidence
    – describe any local devotional practices that may have their origin in pre-Christian times. Outline the original form of these practices and describe their current form if they still survive.
    2.2 National evidence
    – name a pre–Christian site of national significance
    – briefly describe the religious beliefs and/or practices believed to be associated with this site
    – give two examples of Irish myths and sagas that give insight into pre-Christian religious beliefs and/or practices. Briefly describe these insights.
    CHRISTIANITY IN IRELAND (All students study 3.1. Ordinary level students do ONE of 3.2 to 3.6. Higher level students do TWO of 3.2 to 3.6)
    3.1 The coming of Patrick
    – describe the pattern of Christian belief and practice in Europe at the time of Patrick
    – give two examples of the inculturation of Christianity in Ireland
    – identify two key moments in the development of ‘Irish Christianity’ and explain their significance
    – name two characteristics of ‘Irish Christianity’.
    3.2 Religion, spirituality and land
    – explain the significance of the cultic marriage between the Rí and the land
    – give an account of the relationship between religion and the land in Judaism at the time of Jesus
    – give one example of the relationship between religious affiliation and patterns of land confiscation after 17th century
    – show how land ownership and landlessness was associated with religious identify in Ireland and among the Irish abroad.

3.3 Religion, spirituality and monasticism
    – identify the origin of the hermit tradition in Ireland
    – outline the lifestyle of one follower of the hermit tradition in the early Irish church
    – account for the regard given to the hermit tradition
    – describe the significance of community in monastic Ireland
    – describe the role of the monastery as they became centres of learning, worship, and healing, naming a monastery associated with each activity
    – explain the reasons for the move into Europe
    – name three Irish founders of monasteries in Europe and monasteries they founded
    – give a brief biography of one Irish founder of a monastery in Europe, outlining the significant moments of his life and work.
    3.4 Religion, spirituality and reforms
    – explain how reform movements in Christian traditions were and continue to be inspired by a desire to return to the origins of Christianity
    – show how the Céli Dé and 12th century monastic reforms were largely internal reform
    – show how the Protestant reforms of the 16th and 17th century were largely external reforms
    – give an example of a contemporary reform movement and indicate whether it is an external or internal reform.
    3.5 Religion and the ideas of the Enlightenment
    – explain how the new ideas of the Enlightenment
    – influenced thinking about civil and divine authority
    – discuss how the Enlightenment in Europe influenced thinking about authority in Ireland, with particular reference to the ideas associated with the Belfast Enlightenment and the work of Cardinal Cullen
    – give an account of the main features of post-Enlightenment religion in Ireland.
    3.6 Religion in contemporary Ireland
    – identify, giving two examples, the changes that have taken place in the sphere of influence of the Christian churches in Ireland
    – identify, giving two examples, how religion continues to impact on the lives of people in Ireland
    – outline the place of religion in the Irish constitution
    – define the term pluralism
    – explain how pluralism can affect the social, cultural, political and spiritual dimensions of life
    – explain the term “ecumenism” and outline its aims
    – give examples of how the Christian churches in Ireland have responded to ecumenism.

J RELIGION AND SCIENCE
    THE SCIENTIFIC AND THEOLOGICAL ENTERPRISES
    1.1 Questioning in context
    – explain the human drive to question and to ask why
    – compile and present a 'list' of ultimate questions
    – give examples of the questions common to religion and science
    – demonstrate an understanding of 'God of the gaps' and of science's critique of this view
    – present two alternative images of God and their use in the debate between science and religion.
    1.2 Community
    – define community and outline reasons for its importance in theology and science
    – define 'objective' and 'subjective' investigation, and discuss the merits of each
    – describe the elements of scientific method and interpretation
    – outline the methods of interpretation available to theology.
    THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN RELIGION AND SCIENCE
    2.1 Science and religion go their separate ways
    – present a portrait of the world from which Galileo's ideas emerged
    – describe the methods Galileo used
    – present an summary of Galileo's main findings and ideas
    – explain the various sources of modern science
    – show the various reactions of religions to the rise of science.
    2.2 Science versus religion
    – outline Descartes’ theory and explain its importance for science and religion
    – explain the importance of Newton’s discoveries in mathematics for the relationship between science and religion
    – describe one major development in science and one major development in religion at the time of the enlightenment.
    2.3 Science and religion in tension
    – explain the influences on Darwin's thought
    – outline Darwin's theory of evolution, and highlight the major areas of conflict with religion
    – describe the reaction of one major world religion to Darwin’s theory at the time of its development.
    2.4 Science and religion in dialogue
    – outline the understanding of creation in one of either
    – Buddhism
    – Christianity
    – Hinduism
    – Islam
    – Judaism
    – contrast two understandings of creation from two different religious traditions
    – outline the contemporary ecological crisis
    – present a theologian’s perspective on the crisis
    – present a scientist’s perspective on the crisis.
    CURRENT ISSUES FOR RELIGION AND SCIENCE: ORIGINS (Students study either part three or part four)
    3.1 The debate about origins
    – explain the importance of reflecting on and studying origins
    – give a summary of the main features of current debate on origins
    – explain the term “cosmology”
    – present two contemporary and two ancient cosmologies and identify similarities and differences.
    3.2 The new physics and religion – emerging questions
    – explain the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and its importance for science today
    – outline two of the key ideas associated with 'new physics' and the importance of these for theological reflection.
    CURRENT ISSUES FOR RELIGION AND SCIENCE: LIFE AND DEATH (Students study either part three or part four)
    4.1 The life questions
    – present scientific and religious accounts of the beginning and ending of life and indicate areas where science and religion share the same concerns.
    4.2 The genetics debate
    – outline the ethical issues that arise in science and religion in two of the following
    – cloning
    – genetically-modified life
    – artificially created life
    – the prolonging of life
    – the ending of life.

They seem like a lot.. but once you go through them you'l see that you might already have a load of them done.. ;)

oh my god..iv seen some of these sheets before..our teacher gave them out to us!! but she never told us about the website.. wow..

Yeah they're really handy.. they're the exact questions that come up on the exam!.. I went back over every paper and all of these are on them.. like obviously not all of them but you know what I mean.. so they can't throw a spanner in the works or anything like that.. its a pretty easy exam to prepare for.. but for people who haven't got most of the questions prepared by now.. its gonna be pretty difficult.. :P

Cardor wrote: »
    Yeah they're really handy.. they're the exact questions that come up on the exam!.. I went back over every paper and all of these are on them.. like obviously not all of them but you know what I mean.. so they can't throw a spanner in the works or anything like that.. its a pretty easy exam to prepare for.. but for people who haven't got most of the questions prepared by now.. its gonna be pretty difficult.. :P

ya..i was lookin through the questions..and my teacher has pulled the questions from the website!! but then she went on materunity and so i dont have questions done on religion and science and some of the morallity so i suppose im half way there..wow im really at ease at this exam now!! i thought i had a load of work to do!! if only someone told us this a 5th year..ho hum.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

I took up Religion as an extra subject cause I didn't think I'd be good enough to count Irish... why didn't anyone tell me it was completely ridiculous... Every class my teacher is like "now pay attention to this cause it's never come up"... but that's the problem! Hardly anything has ever come up!

• Advertisement

why do people take it as an extra subject!! i know so many ppl who have..and its just ALOT of extra work. i know someone who took it as an extra subject a week b4 the project was due..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭cal4nia

does anyone know of any leaving cert grinds?

Advertisement