Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Mess

Options
  • 03-05-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,

Just came out of a three hour exam. Your man called time up so I stopped was just flicking through my pages when I noticed I had forgotten to finish one q in short questions section so I just started writing. Invigilator came up and told me to stop so I closed up. Waiting for some more time and I started to correct my spellings and grammar, I have dyspraxia so thats always a major operation and she arrived again and said "this is the second time I've told you to put away your book so your seat number is going to be recorded at the top desk".

Before any howls of condemnation, I know it was stupid but I just wasn't thinking properly after three hours of furious writing. Anyway I asked another invigilator what the story was and they didn't give me an answer and I looked up the exam regulations but couldn't find anything on it. This ever happen to anyone else? What was the result? I am a little freaked out.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

ah she was probably just trying to get you to stop, I wouldn't worry about it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I wouldn't worry about it

I got my calculator confiscated today "because you don't need it"

Clearly i did, i was using the damn thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chet T16 wrote: »

Front of the exam paper said otherwise ;) Seems to be on all the CSI exam papers oddly enough.

I wouldn't worry OP, but you should stop writing when they say so. Its unfair to others around you who may not have got a whole question done and your still writing away, even if its just finishing up. Given your condition, are you not entitled to extra time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 exam88

ironclaw wrote: »
    Front of the exam paper said otherwise ;) Seems to be on all the CSI exam papers oddly enough.

I wouldn't worry OP, but you should stop writing when they say so. Its unfair to others around you who may not have got a whole question done and your still writing away, even if its just finishing up. Given your condition, are you not entitled to extra time?

I know I should have I do actually feel quite bad about it, aside from the terror of having exam cancelled etc. I probably would be but I've never done anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ironclaw wrote: »

Will i know that now :D Was databases (shudder) the same?

I wouldn't mind but i blanked on how to add fractions and that was what i was trying to figure out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

exam88 wrote: »
    I know I should have I do actually feel quite bad about it, aside from the terror of having exam cancelled etc. I probably would be but I've never done anything with it.

Don't worry, invigilators are mostly PHD students and really understand what its like. They won't cancel an exam unless they really had to and in extreme circumstances. They just have to be stern given they're being watched and paid. Just take it as an experience and move on. They would have told you if it had serious implications.
    Will i know that now :D Was databases (shudder) the same?

I wouldn't mind but i blanked on how to add fractions and that was what i was trying to figure out!

Do you think I could remember how to add a fraction? Not a breeze. The 2nd Class primary kids would have run rings around me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

exam88 wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about it, I really doubt that anything will happen. If you are worried you could try emailing your lecturer, explain the situation and see what they have to say. It's probably just the invigilator using their new found power :rolleyes:

But don't stress over it too much now, there are still the rest of your exams left so concentrate on them first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I didn't know they could do that. I usually bring a camera in with me for no particular reason and they have never taken it off me in the past. Weirdos. Them not you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Yeh, don't worry about it OP.
    She was probably doing you a favour by getting you to stop.

If anything ever happened about it and I was in your position, I'd just claim ignorance and that they have the wrong seat number! :D

Just bumping this so people might notice it! If anything like this happened to you or anyone you know, what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

This happened a friend of mine today and he's freaking out because he was told to expect a letter from the admin and his details were written onto come sort of printed sheet! I'll let you know!

aine92 wrote: »
    This happened a friend of mine today and he's freaking out because he was told to expect a letter from the admin and his details were written onto come sort of printed sheet! I'll let you know!

Thanks for replying even though that is bad news:( I'm sorry to be a hound but what details did they take do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

My friend's seat number student number were taken and he took his student card but gave that back to him after a while, I'd just say to deny all knowledge, say you saw you had written and twice and were just scribbling it out or something. My friend said hes gonna email our lecturer and tell him exactly what he wrote after the time was up and just tell him to not correct it and forget he ever wrote it!

Advertisement