Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Raised The Height Of My Piers...Now It Looks Like A MESS!!

• 03-05-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I've just increased the height of the piers at the front of my house. I've increased them by about 8 inchs. The thing is that i'm not an expert plasterer and what i have now is a pier (extended in height) but with an ugly obvious horizontal line going across where the new plaster of the extension of the pier meets the lower down older plaster of the original pier :o

I've tried sanding it with an angle grinder and a drill with a sander bit attached but all to no avail:confused:

Can anyone give me any tips on how to improve the appearance of this line between the new and old plaster? Is there any such thing as a purpose made concrete sander that i could use for this and hire somewhere. I know there is concrete sanders for floors but one of those would be too big to lift horizontally to sand a pier.

Any advice??

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sandblasting? Painting?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

yop wrote: »
    Sandblasting? Painting?

I've tried painting but the line is so bad paint simply won't do it. In fact painting makes the line look even more obvious for some reason. i really think it needs to be sanded to blend the two in together. But i don't know how to sand them. I don't think sandblasting will work tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How big are the piers... if you plaster the whole pier in one go it would look better and shouldn't take too long, probably less time than messing about (no offense) trying to blend them in..

bbam wrote: »
    How big are the piers... if you plaster the whole pier in one go it would look better and shouldn't take too long, probably less time than messing about (no offense) trying to blend them in..
    They're only about 4 feet high now with the extensions. It did occur to me before i began the job that to get it right the whole piers (2 of them) should be plastered in the new. But i thought it would be a big job to remove the existing plaster and do them in the new...especially as i am not used to plastering.

I'm probably not going to take off all the plaster now. Whats the best way to blend them in do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're looking to take the plaster off, then a kango hammer and a chisel will do the job nicely. Shouldn't be too much work if they're only 4 feet high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Mix a bucket of grout and stipple it onto the freshly ronofix-painted pier. It can be done with a sponge while the Ronofix is still tacky. This can then be floated after 24 hours. This saves hacking off the old render.

Spread wrote: »
    Mix a bucket of grout and stipple it onto the freshly ronofix-painted pier. It can be done with a sponge while the Ronofix is still tacky. This can then be floated after 24 hours. This saves hacking off the old render.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

You could try a diamond grinding disc on a 4" grinder, sometimes they can be fairly costly, though like everything in this range can also be bought fairly keenly, it will grind the joint down, though the new coat will grind much more easily than the old one, I used this item to tidy up an old floor with decent results........maybe worth a try.......

ronofix-painted pier
    I went into 2 hardware stores in my area, and they never heard of ronofix. I told them what i was planning on doing with and thought it was a good idea but had never heard of ronofix paint?

Does it exist?:D

Presumably it does, but where would i find it do you know? I'd only need a small amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

All the running round.. you'd have two 4 ft piers picked and re plastered in the same time;)

It's the only way to be sure of an even job... no matter what you do the texture of the different plasters will show through when painted...

It's at the front of your house...you'll be looking at them everytime you get home and so will visitors... do it right and you'll be happier...

What's the cost of these special products??... if you're not confident at plastering bung some handy bloke €50 and get it done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I went into 2 hardware stores in my area, and they never heard of ronofix. I told them what i was planning on doing with and thought it was a good idea but had never heard of ronofix paint?

Does it exist?:D

Presumably it does, but where would i find it do you know? I'd only need a small amount.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Post a picture... go on...... :D

PM sent
    Thanks Spread.

Heres what i did for anyone you cares. Ronofix paint is next to impossible to find here in ireland but you can get something called seikebond. However this is €35 a gallon and seeing how i only needed 5 or 6 brush strokes of the stuff for my piers, was not an attractive price.

So heres what i did - bought some grout from B&Q for less than 10 euro. Its the adhesive and grout mixture together stuff they sell ie you can put it on the back of tiles to stick them down and in-between the tiles too. I put this on the piers and it did the job perfect. Looks great ;)
    Only one problem - the grout isn't supposed to be used outdoors but i said i'd try it anyway. Painted over now anyway and i don't think it's going anywhere even if it's not meant for outdoors or held on with ronofix paint. I think the fact that its a grout and adhesive all in one should be more than enough to hold it on :)

Advertisement