Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer Switch Help

Options
  • 03-05-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Decided to try to fit a dimmer switch for the lights in my living room and not sure if I've messed up:o

The landlord told me its a two way system (one switch beside the kitchen entrance which is beside the kitchen light..both sharing same box and one switch beside the hall entrance.

I bought a Dimmer single 2 way Mains switch with 400w voltage with the intention of replacing the single switch near the hall entrance,

When i removed original box cover, there was 3 brown covered wires...2 sheathed together and one seperate, and the green/yellow wire ending in a little plastic white cube.

I hooked up the wires as they were in the original (one going to L1, one going to L2 and the third which was in the com hole i put in a hole with a symbol on it which looks like 2 wires crossing each other)

I turned back on the mains, and it sounded like there was a humming coming from the fuse box (never noticed it before but maybe its always there:confused:) and also the lights in the room where i'd replaced the switch were faintly flickering.

As i'm a total diy noob I turned off the mains in fear and tried to find answers on the net....now I'm even more confused:o

Anyone tell me if I've done anything wrong? Also anyone know why theres 3 brown wires instead of different colours as I'd expected.

Any help appreciated....especially as it'll be dark soon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Think I may have found the problem. I have energy saving bulbs fitted! Sorry for waste of space:o
    Mods, feel free to delete thread, Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

seems right to me

dimmers do humm

brown wires are the norm

put a bulb 60watt or larger into the light fitting
    make sure it is not the cfl type(use ordinary bulb)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

beat me to it;)

Advertisement