Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Ultimate CF

Options
  • 03-05-2011 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Think I'm going to go for the Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0, full Ultegra + Aksium Ksyrium wheels for 1999. 1st road bike!! I've had a couple of these bike advice threads, but enough is enough, gonna buy it in the next 2 days. Start some triathlon training :)

Does anyone here know anything about Canyon sizes? There is a calculator on their website. I've used it a couple of times, and each time it has given me different sizes!!!

For reference, I take a medium in the Giant TCR Advanced and the Wilier Izoard. I am somewhat between sizes (M and L (orM/L)). I am 5'10. Using their calculator, I am a 52 or 54 frame.

What do you reckon would suit me?

On a side note, how do you reckon it would compare with this Stevens bike. Pretty much the exact same spec. A bit of colour (imagine white handlebar tape/saddle), plus I can buy it in the LBS with the bike2work, making the prices pretty much identical. The Stevens frame is around 100g lighter. Pros of the Stevens are that you get it fitted etc, the cons are that there is pretty much no info/reviews on it out there. 2k is a lot to spend on something like that. I dont know if thats because they dont seem to care about breaking the UK market. The opposite pros/cons for the Canyon.

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2011/index.php?bik_id=277&lang=en_US&cou=US&sect=description#inhalt

thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I was under the impression that xenon is the low spec campy?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Went for the CF 9.0 myself recently, seriously nice bike, very light, very stiff, I was moving up from a Planet X sl pro, definitely a big difference.
    The sizing calculator threw me a bit as well, it only seems to take into account your inseam, I was hovering between a 56 and 58, went for the 58 in the end, could probably have got away with either but the 58 feels perfect.

No idea about Stevens so can't compare them I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

I'm 5'10" and I ride the 56cm Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0. I have average-to-short length legs. Fit is perfect. I probably could have got away with a 54cm but previously I rode a 56cm Cannondale R1000. The Canyon online sizing calculator was recommending a 52cm frame for me! Yes, perhaps if I could assume the posture of a professional racing cyclist! The Canyon is a wonderful bike. The CF and the CF SLX framesets aren't that much different. Can't comment on the Stevens, although I believe they also make excellent machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Neverlandland

I was under the impression that xenon is the low spec campy?

The bike is just called the Xenon, it has nothing to do with it's groupset.

karlmyson, Slater: Thanks for your replies. Have either of you weighed your bikes? I have heard that the Canyons can be up to 300g more than stated.

Just wondering, do most people here prefer the white or black? 100-150g more for the white

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Canyons are quite tall at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've had a couple of these bike advice threads, but enough is enough
    One more 'which bike/what do you think of this bike thread' and you're banned;)

I have last years CF frameset. I've built it up with Sram and with a bit of weight weenieism I've got it down to under 6.2kg. Mine is sized 52 although the Canyon bike fit calculator suggested that i go for a 50. I'm happy with the 52.

Lumen wrote: »

Hi Lumen, what kind of affect does that have on the sizing? To be honest, being a newbie, it means nothing to me. I dont know too much about bike fitting

Hi Lumen, what kind of affect does that have on the sizing? To be honest, being a newbie, it means nothing to me. I dont know too much about bike fitting
    I'm completely going against the spirit of this forum in asking this but why are you going for 2k bike when, admittedly, you are a newbie?

Well....bikes are best sized for purchase by length (reach) rather than front end height (i.e. vertical drop from saddle to handlebars), because whilst reach can be changed by altering saddle position and stem length, both of these changes will affect balance and handling, whereas drop can be changed by stem and spacer selection without adverse effects (other than aesthetics).

Whilst it is easy enough in principle to change handlebar height, it gets awkward/ugly when these changes are large.

Canyons are tall at the front, which means flexible riders requiring a racy position may have to source crazy angled stems or thinner headsets. This is complicated by the fact that Canyon use a weird size steerer (1.25 inches) and proprietary headset design rather than the standard 1.125 inch steerer and "normal" tighten-bolt-through-the-top-cap style headset.

Basically, it's best to choose a Canyon size by comparing to a known geometry on which you are comfortable. The most critical dimensions are horizontal TT length and head tube length, although you need to add a bit more to the head tube length to account for the standard tall headset.

Hope that hasn't added to your confusion.

Basically, it's best to choose a Canyon size by comparing to a known geometry on which you are comfortable. The most critical dimensions are horizontal TT length and head tube length, although you need to add a bit more to the head tube length to account for the standard tall headset.

I agree with the point about comparing to a known geometry - horiz TT length in particular. The 56 Canyon had almost identical geometry to my 56 Cannondale which I'd been riding for 5 years, which I was used to and comfortable on. I wouldn't say the Canyon has a particularly tall headset though, I don't notice much of a difference over other brands on that measure.

I ride the black model - I prefer the look of the black - the carbon layups are visible and it's a look that appeals to me. It also looks far better in reality than it does on the website. A friend of mine has the same bike in white, comparing both, I'm pleased with my choice of colour.

Weight wise, it comes in as specced - less than 7kg without pedals; if I recall correctly before I put the pedals and cages on, about 6.8kg.

A great bike to accelerate.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    I'm completely going against the spirit of this forum in asking this but why are you going for 2k bike when, admittedly, you are a newbie?

I'm constantly asking myself the same question :)

One reason is that I had made up my mind on a Wilier Izoard for 1550. During that (lengthy) decision-making process, I ruled out every other bike in that price range. When I went to finalise the deal, I was told that the deal had expired. Now, after previously convincing myself that the other bikes weren't for me, I'm finding it hard to spend 1-1.5k on one of them. It's still a lot of money.

Lumen, the explanation is greatly appreciated!

Worth bearing in mind the Canyon can also be purchased through the Bike to Work scheme, assuming your employer will let you. It's treated as a non taxable benefit in kind for accounting purposes, straighforward enough although this does depend on your employer, they may limit you to certain shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Like this...

5684627753_a56e1c75aa.jpg

Statler wrote: »
    Worth bearing in mind the Canyon can also be purchased through the Bike to Work scheme, assuming your employer will let you. It's treated as a non taxable benefit in kind for accounting purposes, straighforward enough although this does depend on your employer, they may limit you to certain shops.
    Only after the first 1k (with Irish VAT).

karlmyson wrote: »
    I agree with the point about comparing to a known geometry - horiz TT length in particular. The 56 Canyon had almost identical geometry to my 56 Cannondale which I'd been riding for 5 years, which I was used to and comfortable on. I wouldn't say the Canyon has a particularly tall headset though, I don't notice much of a difference over other brands on that measure.

I think my last Scott Addict had a choice of 10mm or 15mm top caps. With a 5mm spacer below the stem, that would give 15mm or 20mm height. My Ultimate AL has a 25mm headset. I'm not sure whether a spacer is also required - I'm not running one; without a spacer that's 5-10mm more...

...however, the Canyon geometry seems a bit short - I'm running a 58 Canyon compared to a 56 Addict with approx the same reach. This means the head tube is 170mm to the Scott's 160mm, and this combined with the headset height add up to 15-20mm, which is quite a lot.

Horses for courses.

Unfortunately my company is lazy and have gone down the bike2work.ie route, so no discounted canyons for me :(

Philippe Gilbert rides a Canyon. Need I say more :)

Indeed, and if you look at this (big pic) you'll see he's running a super-thin headset and -17 degree stem. :)

He's paid to but Lumen and Uberwolf aren't. I hear they're awesome ;) Care to back that up, Lumen?

Lemag wrote: »
    He's paid to but Lumen and Uberwolf aren't. I hear they're awesome ;) Care to back that up, Lumen?

On recent form I'm not sure which of us is crapper TBH.

• Advertisement

Also worth noting, if I go for the Canyon, I may decide to flog either the groupset/wheelset and replace them with something cheaper to try to bring down the cost. 2k is a lot for a 1st road bike, I do realise that. I dont know if its hard to flog the parts or not without making too much of a loss. Its probably the best way to make the bike a bit cheaper, from what people have told me, buying a frameset and building the bike myself with seperately bought components will prove too expensive!

Also worth noting, if I go for the Canyon, I may decide to flog either the groupset/wheelset and replace them with something cheaper to try to bring down the cost. 2k is a lot for a 1st road bike, I do realise that. I dont know if its hard to flog the parts or not without making too much of a loss. Its probably the best way to make the bike a bit cheaper, from what people have told me, buying a frameset and building the bike myself with seperately bought components will prove too expensive!

If you want a cheaper bike, buy a cheaper bike.

The Roadlite 6.0 is a nice bike for under a grand.

If you want a cheaper bike, buy a cheaper bike.
    +1
    You probably wouldn't make much of a saving. You'd effectively be selling a secondhand groupset and would you be confident with fitting the replacement groupset. You'd also need to buy the tools to do this.

As Lumen said, if this is something which you're really contemplating then you really ought to go with a cheaper bike.

Btw, if you do go for a Canyon would you mind chucking a 'Derailleur Hanger No. 14' into your basket for me? And I think that Lumen might be looking for a fork cover which you might be interested to get for yourself also if you go for an Ultimate CF/AL and are offended by the following hole - HvovH.jpg

Do the fork covers serve any purpose other than cosmetic?

Cosmetic only.

Cosmetic only.

Cosmetic only? Get out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Something fell in to my forks the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Something fell in to my forks the other day...

Probably your dignity when you chose to wear that Skil kit with the white warmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Probably your dignity when you chose to wear that Skil kit with the white warmers.

You just can't handle the awesomeness

Advertisement