Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yungwan Versus 10K

• 03-05-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I have decided to start a new thread concentrating on my new aim which is to achieve a sub 60 10K. I know this is a small achievement when compared to others on here, but for me it would be amazing.

I have struggled lately to focus and stick to a concrete plan but I have decided to put my all into the next 5 weeks in the lead up to the Mini Marathon 10K on June 6th.

Summary
    Female, 26, 5" 7, 10 stone

Trying to run for the last 14 months or so, but at a snails pace.

Races To Date
    Mini Marathon 10K 2010: 1:17
    Galway City Half Marathon Aug 2010: 2:48 :o
    10K Kilmovee 2011 April 30th 2011: 1:08
    10K Roscommon May Bank Holiday 1:08:00

I will be using a plan based on Hal Hidgons Intermediate 10K Plan.

I may not get my sub 60 in the next race, as 8 mins is alot to shave off, but I would like to get a few minutes off it. Average min per mile for my last two races has been around the 11 mark so if I could knock a min per mile or a little more I could achieve this. And it would be all the more sweet as this was my first ever race in 2010 and I would love to finally be proud of my time.

I think I have it in me I just have to believe this and push myself. I have a habit of "keeping something in the tank" for the whole race and not pushing myself. Then I see 8k marker and take off too fast and get too tired to finish strong!

Any advice would be appreciated, and a kick in the ass too.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Week Commencing 2nd May 2011

Monday: 10K Race
    Wednesday: 4 Miles
    Friday: 40 Mins Tempo
    Sunday: 6 miles LSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Think positive... it could be worse, you could be getting slower!
    There are loads of Galway races coming up over the next few months. My first two 10ks were 1:08 ish before I broke the hour mark. I'm going backways now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

yungwan wrote: »
    I have a habit of "keeping something in the tank" for the whole race and not pushing myself.

I do this too, I hope someone posts some advice on it! Best of luck with the new log, you sound very focused. I'm doing the mini-marathon too so will be keeping an eye on your training plan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have a habit of "keeping something in the tank" for the whole race and not pushing myself.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I think you have to get used to pushing yourself further in training - not allowing yourself to drop the pace on that interval or tempo run - and then get to race day knowing exactly what you have to do in the first few miles, so you don't reach halfway thinking "well, I feel fine, but I've no hope of reaching my target any more"

The Mini Marathon sounds like a bad race to use as a target though, isn't it terribly crowded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I think I have it in me I just have to believe this and push myself. I have a habit of "keeping something in the tank" for the whole race and not pushing myself.

This is a tough habit to break. I was doing this for a while after a really rough race. For months I had disappointing results until I figured out that I was running way too conservatively. I was so worried about "blowing up" that I kept selling myself short. You've got this figured out which is more than half the battle. What cured it for me was telling myself two things a) if I blow up it is ok - there are other races and so long as I learn something it is ok - you have to take some risk for the reward - and b) fear of pain is much worse than pain itself.

I have a fixed set of mental excercises/checks that I do when I find myself starting to focus on discomfort. - relax the shoulders, the next, control the breathng, check the stride and get back on rymthm .... stop worrying about the next mile just run this one. Focus on the "process" not the goal. I actually practice this on long runs...

Ok ... I know this sounds a bit like "new age" bs .... but it works for me (well ....most of the time ... sadly it has let me down at mile 23 in the marathon:)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck

As usual some pointers.
    1. Leave out the Tuesday run if tired and skip the cross train. You are coming from a base of 3 days a week training and going straight to 6 days will most likely lead to an injury.
    2. On the Mon/Tues and Thursday run no faster then 13min/mile
    3. Tempo Pace between 11:30 and 11:00 min/mile
    4. 5k Pace 2:35 to 2:40 per 400m
    5. Sunday runs between 12:30 and 13:00 min/miles

Again do not beat yourself up if not making the times/paces or break the 1hr on your first attempt.

Enjoy your training and smile their are others who cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Niceone on starting the log! Its a great motivator to have a time in mind for the race, but remember to enjoy the training since you spend more time doing that than racing. Dont worry too much about the time yet, you've already dropped 9mins off your 10k time so there's no doubt you'll get under 60mins if you keep the training going consistently. g;luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the new log, the training and the sub 60 10k.
    I'm with Ray though, the women's mini marathon is probably not ideal for a race goal. It is a flat enough course granted, but it is so conjested and not just at the beginning.
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Best of luck with your new log and long term goals!

Its something I would love to do too getting a sub 60 in a 10k, I'm long way off but hope to get there too. Done my first 10k in 1.17 too but got 1.21 in my second! :confused: Only running since last Aug/Sept so still learning.

Hoping to do better in the mini marathon. If weather and my enthusiasm keeps up I'm hoping for 1.10, will work from there.

Your getting great advice here so I'll be popping in to rob it and see how you are doing.

Not stopping is something I'm struggling with when it was something I didnt do when I started, all mind over matter for me too, need to push myself more and not step back once I begin to feel uncomfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think I have it in me I just have to believe this and push myself. I have a habit of "keeping something in the tank" for the whole race and not pushing myself. Then I see 8k marker and take off too fast and get too tired to finish strong!

Any advice would be appreciated, and a kick in the ass too.....

I used to get into a bit of a comfort zone in races to and best bit of advice I got was once you start to feel you are getting inot it dont be afraid to put in a little surge (of maybe about a min or so) this can help kick start you once again as you start thinkin "okay I actually do have good bit in the tank" Nothing crazy just push it a bit for a min or two can be all you need in races or tempo runs

Thank you all so much for the advice.
    I am so thankful, you are a great bunch.
    ger664 wrote: »
    Best of luck

As usual some pointers.
    1. Leave out the Tuesday run if tired and skip the cross train. You are coming from a base of 3 days a week training and going straight to 6 days will most likely lead to an injury.
    2. On the Mon/Tues and Thursday run no faster then 13min/mile
    3. Tempo Pace between 11:30 and 11:00 min/mile
    4. 5k Pace 2:35 to 2:40 per 400m
    5. Sunday runs between 12:30 and 13:00 min/miles
    Again do not beat yourself up if not making the times/paces or break the 1hr on your first attempt.

Enjoy your training and smile their are others who cant

Thanks so much as ever for your advice Ger.
    I should have made it clear that I wont be doing more than 3/4 runs a week.
    Also to me those paces seem very conservative to me? If I want to get 9.30-10 min/miles should I not be aiming to closer to 10/10.30 in training? Also I would have thought my tempy should have been faster?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    a) if I blow up it is ok - there are other races and so long as I learn something it is ok - you have to take some risk for the reward - and b) fear of pain is much worse than pain itself.

I have a fixed set of mental excercises/checks that I do when I find myself starting to focus on discomfort. - relax the shoulders, the next, control the breathng, check the stride and get back on rymthm .... stop worrying about the next mile just run this one. Focus on the "process" not the goal. I actually practice this on long runs...

Thanks a million, this sounds like great advice and something I will definately use.
    RayCun wrote: »
    The Mini Marathon sounds like a bad race to use as a target though, isn't it terribly crowded?

Yes I have heard this. I might re-evaluate.
    I have signed up for another 10K locally on 27th June so this may be the target instead, with the mini marathon as a race for "Some type of PB"?

4 miles became a 3 miler unfortunately. :(

Hit off for this planned 4 miler, and to be honest I wasnt feeling too hot before leaving, kind of clammy and weak. Ate a slice of toast and took on some water thinking I wasnt hydrated or fed enough.

First mile was sluggish enough and by the end of it my calves were aching. Stopped and stretched and they were quite painful.

Took off again and this one wasnt as bad.

Third mile was torture and unfortunately I got an excrutiating pain across my stomach and had to call the OH.

Basically I have developed a bug :(

Pity but my average pace was 11/mile so Im happy enough with that all considering.

Tempo tomorrow depending on how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Regarding the paces I posted.

Currently your 10K race pace is 11 min/mile. You cannot run any faster over this distance. The paces I gave are based on your current ability, not on your goal pace. I firmly believe that you train at your ability, and as you train you will improve.

Your current 5K pace is 10:30 min/mile. There is no way you should be running any run over 3 miles at this pace in your training. You will get your speed improvement from the interval work. If you run to quick on your 3-4 mile runs your body will be fatigued for the interval work which is tough enough, and this is the workout that will have the most effect on your speed. Tempo runs and Sunday run build your endurance. To complete a 10K you need both.

It took me a long time to realise that the key was to Run my long Runs slower and my short Runs faster.

Not running ever session at the pace I wanted to race at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ger664 wrote: »
    Regarding the paces I posted.

Currently your 10K race pace is 11 min/mile. You cannot run any faster over this distance. The paces I gave are based on your current ability, not on your goal pace. I firmly believe that you train at your ability, and as you train you will improve.

Your current 5K pace is 10:30 min/mile. There is no way you should be running any run over 3 miles at this pace in your training. You will get your speed improvement from the interval work. If you run to quick on your 3-4 mile runs your body will be fatigued for the interval work which is tough enough, and this is the workout that will have the most effect on your speed. Tempo runs and Sunday run build your endurance. To complete a 10K you need both.

It took me a long time to realise that the key was to Run my long Runs slower and my short Runs faster.

Not running ever session at the pace I wanted to race at.

+1. This is great advice. Tempos should be at the pace you can currently run a 10 mile/Half Marathon at. That is significanlt slower than current 10k pace.

Best of luck with the training yungwan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the training and new log yungwun :)

As above I had a dodgy tummy after run during the week so unfortunately I didnt fit in a tempo as I was feeling crap until yesterday :(

Sunday 8th May
    Local 10K Race

I wasnt going to do this as this would be my third race in as many weeks, but as I had planned a 6 miler in training, and the route for the race basically passed my door and went along a regular training route, I said feck it Id do it! Decided to treat it as a regular training run though rather than a race, as my hip is a little niggly.

BTW, When I say a local road race, its literally a "Fun walk" with about 30 people mainly walking. No road markers or anything fancy! There were three or four "runners" though, including our local TD Luke Ming Flanagan.

Pretty enjoyable run, which I completed in 11.30/min miles.
    Happy enough with that, seen as it was a training run really.
    Have to say being that it was mostly walkers I was practically elite by comparison! Lol, first and last time Ill come 5th!!

Training run done, tummy full of yummy tea and a recipe nabbed for a gorgeous lemon drizzle cake. Not a bad day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Fifth - nice one :D Must be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can't mention lemon drizzle cake without making some for the rest of us ;)

Well done today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Well done!

You are racking up a great set of races now (esp for someone who a few weeks ago was talking about not doing any races again!!;))

• Advertisement

maria74 wrote: »
    Well done!

You are racking up a great set of races now (esp for someone who a few weeks ago was talking about not doing any races again!!;))

I know!!! haha But Im loving racing again. In reality we are all competitive souls who love the buzz of race day. I just forgot how it feels.
    Now I just have to get back into actual training LSRs and the associated boredom it sometimes brings.....

Another race planned this weekend, but only a 5k which I am doing with my 7 year old. So I doubt it will be too hard on me! (Although it wouldnt surprise me if he was finished before me!!)

Plan - week commencing 9/5/11

Tuesday 4.5 miles
    Thursday 9 x 400 @ 5k pace (GULP)
    Sunday 5K race - "Streets of Sligo"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your 10k, a race is a race.... :)
    Well deserving of some lemon drizzle cake.

Feeling pretty demoralised as I have taken ill with a bad cold this flipping week.

Have been hoping all week that "tomorrow" would be the day to go for a run, but I still feel crap today. Just 0 energy.

I am tempted to go for a run this evening but I think it would be foolish.

Stupid immune system.... this always seems to happen when I commit myself to a plan, murphy's law?

I am just going to have to concentrate on getting better for Sundays 5k with a view to hopefully getting out for a short run 2moro..... :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Another race planned this weekend, but only a 5k which I am doing with my 7 year old. So I doubt it will be too hard on me! (Although it wouldnt surprise me if he was finished before me!!)

My 9 year old walks beside me as I run!! Her and the dog walking and me trying to run!!

Hope you are feeling better soon. Soon as you have enough energy try get out for short one even. Guaranteed to feel better after. Take care.

Finally felt back to normal today so head out for a slow run to see how I felt. Done 3 between the showers as I thought getting wet is the last thing I need!

Very slow pace, but at least I got some fresh air!

Looking forward to Sunday now, my son is convinced he will get a junior prize... ah to be young and optimistic!

Streets of Sligo 5k

So after a week of zero energy and blocked sinuses, I done this 5k with my son yesterday. Great turn out, over 500 registered, with 460 finishers.

My son was so excited about it, and he was so into it on the start line, warming up and stretching, and never complained about the rain which was constant throughout. Once we started though we didnt even notice it.

We started off grand, of course he took of and was a head of me straight away. I told him to keep going and I caught him again a little bit on where the poor mite got a stitch.

He started to get tired then at about 2.5 k after which we went up a long hill but when we passed the 3k marker we picked up again.

The last km I encouraged him to pick it up again and when we turned the corner and he saw the finish line his face lit up and he took off!! It was so funny I actually couldnt catch him!

We finished in 34 mins or slightly over, which is in or around my 10K pace.

Obviously it was never going to be a PB for me as I was doing it with him for fun as much as anything and we really enjoyed it.

I was the proud Mammy afterwards let me tell you!

He was so disappointed though as they didn't give out medals which he was hoping for. But he says he will definitely do another with me anyway. You cant beat the memories though!

Back to the running though, I have to get out there again now that Im feeling normal again.

Plan to follow for this week.

Week Commencing 16/May 2011

Tuesday 5 miles
    Thursday 9 x 400 5-K pace
    Sunday 6 miles LSR.

No excuses, only 3 weeks left!!

Tues 17th May

5 miles - 11.08/mile

Quite happy with this evenings run.

One of those runs where you are just feeling it and smiling as you go along.

Decided that I would push myself over last mile and was thrilled when I got to the end and watch read 10.38.

• Advertisement

Just wondering what pace I should be aiming for for my 400m intervals 2moro?

Advertisement