Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yungwan Versus 10K

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What's your current 5k PB?

Just put your 1:08 10k time into the McMillan calculator, it gave 2:20-2:27 per rep for 400m for middle distance runners, and 2:23-2:30 per rep for long distance runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

What's your current 5k PB?

Just put your 1:08 10k time into the McMillan calculator, it gave 2:20-2:27 per rep for 400m for middle distance runners, and 2:23-2:30 per rep for long distance runners.

I haven't really raced a 5k but I think its about 32 mins??

I think ill try the 2:20 - 2:27 and see how I get on as I haven't done intervals before.

Thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

yungwan wrote: »
    I haven't really raced a 5k but I think its about 32 mins??

I think ill try the 2:20 - 2:27 and see how I get on as I haven't done intervals before.

Thanks for that!!

Start at the upper end or even 2:30. The idea is to keep the pace for all the reps or your last one been your fastest. Recovery time is 50-90% of the interval time. Take the 90% as its your first session (~2:10 recovery time)

Best of luck with it.

Great, thanks guys.

Hopefully I dont collapse afterwards!! :eek:

Thursday 19 May 2011

9 x 400m intervals at 2.30 reps pace with 2:10 walking breaks.

As this was my first ever intervals session I followed the advice above, set my garmin and set off.

Started with a 10 min warmup jog and done first interval.

Turns out I didnt set my watch properly and I had thought my watch would display my time per lap, which it didnt, so consequently I had no idea where I was at.

My 400m laps were as follows: (And ALL OVER THE PLACE!!)

01:49
    01:51
    01:55 (realised at this point I was going waaay too fast so slowed it down alot)
    02:11
    02:07
    02:13
    02:12
    02:14
    02:12

At least the last 4 were fairly consistent :rolleyes:
    I dont know whether these are good or bad so advice appreciated but just to point out I was DYING during the first 3. I think a tear might have slipped out too tbh! But I hardened up then and got on with it.

Glad I done them now but I am wide awake now as I didnt finish til 10pm.
    Ill regret this in the morning!! :)

• Advertisement

I was DYING during the first 3. I think a tear might have slipped out too tbh! But I hardened up then and got on with it.
    I could say the same thing myself pretty much every time I do 400m intervals! Good session though :)

Good Session when u finish it like you did.

Hmmm yes it seems times are fairly crap :(

But at least I finished them.

If I keep working at it surely things will improve in time. :rolleyes:

Sunday 22nd May
    6 miles LSR

6 miles - 11.50/m average.

Found this tough at times. I have been very sore and stiff since my intervals on Thursday. Slow they may have been but I have been so stiff all over since. :( (worse than any of the races tbh)

Struggled for the first 2 miles today, my quads were so tight that stretching them was agony but they were ok after.

Dont know how they will be after the Spinning Class I am planning 2moro evening!! :eek:

Plan - Week commencing 23rd May 2011

Monday - Beginners Spinning Class
    Tuesday/Wednesday* - 5.5 miles
    Thursday - Hill Training - 10 reps.
    Sunday: 7 miles LSR

*Depending on recovery after spinning!!

• Advertisement

Time to update this I guess, very busy week this week.... :rolleyes:

Spinning didnt happen unfortunately as the class was full. Name down for next Monday so looking forward to that.

Time constraints led to me having to reschedule my 5.5 miles to this evening.

Nice leisurely 5.5 miles done, and the showers held off too, so happy days. :D

Pretty slow pace tbh but it was enjoyable and nice to get some exercise/fresh air.

Hill reps tomorrow.

Oh and P.S I finally bought new runners and tried them out this evening, - man my old ones were in bad shape! Amazing the difference it makes. Comfy anywho. :)

Ooops I am so busy lately, havent had a chance to update this!

Last week went as planned after last post.

This weeks plan is as follows:

Monday: Spinning - DONE*

Wednesday: 3.5 miles

Friday: 3 miles

And then the Mini Marathon 10K on Monday :D

Really looking forward to it tbh. It was my first event lat year and I done it not knowing if Id be able to finish or how it would go! This year I am practically an expert (:rolleyes: lol)Well maybe not, but I know what I can achieve etc.

Dont think Ill achieve my sub- 60, but Ill be happy with a PB.

As an added perk I won an overnight stay in the OCallaghan Davenport as part of a competition from the race Partners. Absolutely thrilled as its just around the corner from the startline and we havent much money at the moment to treat ourselves, so it is a lovely treat. \O/

*On the spinning, really enjoyed it. I think Ill make it my regular Monday strengthening. Wont be going this coming Monday because of the Mini Marathon but from then on. Wasn't really sore from it yesterday tbh. Thought I would but just a little tender in the ass area! Can only help!

Done 4 miles slow.

It was such a nice evening I decided to do another 1/2 mile.

God, its a sign I am getting old - the coming "heatwave" excites me coz I can get loads of clothes dried... spent the evening washing like there was no tomorrow...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good Luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

yeah best of luck on Monday. Watch out for those walkers though! ;)
    It is a great run in some ways, the atmosphere is great & it's a nice flat route, but you have to have some patience dealing with the crowds. :)

Oh absolutely agree on the walkers etc.

I plan to just enjoy the race. Its a fab atmosphere and day out.

I cant wait. And I am already looking forward to a celebratory cold glass of Pinot Grigio mmmmm

And I am already looking forward to a celebratory cold glass of Pinot Grigio mmmmm
    Priorities :D

Enjoy Monday!

Priorities :D

Enjoy Monday!

Well I am refraining from drinking wine on a Bank Hol in preparation!!

Sorry to hear about your illness, feel better soon.

Done the 3 miles as planned on Friday evening.

Flora Womens Mini Marathon 2011

What a brilliant day out! I done this for the 2nd year but this year I was joined by my mam and two sisters.

We went our separate ways at the designated starting areas (they were going walking/jogging theirs and I was registered in the fast joggers section)

I took my place about 45 seconds from the start line which was bliss, its the only way, last year I tackled the crowds for the entire race, this year it was so much easier.

I had a great run, really enjoyed the craic and the atmosphere there, and the rain even stayed off! It was brilliant.

I pushed myself the whole way, and was conscious not to "keep something in the tank" which I do in every race and end up disappointed.

I knew around the 5k mark that I was actually pretty close to my sub 60 so I just kept on going, wondering could this be possible? 6th and 7th km wizzed by, plenty of mental bargaining with myself ("keep going and think of wine" was one line of thought!!)

Was getting tired round the 8km mark but kept plodding, looking at watch thinking you can still do it. Last 2k dragged and I was pretty tired tbh.

I pushed it over the last 100metres and was thrilled to look at my watch to see 1:01.57! (Watch and official times the same)

Yes, sure I didnt get to the sub 60, and damn I was so close, but I couldnt be happier. In the past I have finished races and thought "I could have given more" but I know I done by best yesterday, I was exhausted at that finished line. But you know what? I know that 2 minutes will eventually be shaved off, and it has given me a much needed confidence boost.

The times are finally going in the right direction, and my aim is to shave them minutes off before the end of Summer!

My sisters finished just under the 1:30 mins and Mam finished at I think 1:34:xx so they were delighted, having never done anything like it before.

Great day had by all, and memories to boot!

Oh, and the white wine was flipping awesome last night too!!

Yes, sure I didnt get to the sub 60, and damn I was so close, but I couldnt be happier. In the past I have finished races and thought "I could have given more" but I know I done by best yesterday, I was exhausted at that finished line. But you know what? I know that 2 minutes will eventually be shaved off, and it has given me a much needed confidence boost. The times are finally going in the right direction

Congrats on yesterday, and that's the right attitude to have. You're a hell of a lot closer to sub-60 than you were before, and you'll get there very soon. :D

• Advertisement

Well done, super time. A bit more work and you'll easily get under the 60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

well done, the white wine was well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Well done Yungwan, thats a big improvement on your last years 10k time. Nicely done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

well done, fantastic time!!

So I have had a very lazy week since my 10k (P.B!! :D haha) on Monday.

Just took a 3.5 mile very brisk walk on Friday, but nothing since. Had half planned to get in a few miles today but I decided to watch the Ros V Leitrim game instead and avoid the horrible weather!

Its not like I needed recovery or anything, but I just felt like taking it easy this week to recharge the batteries and rethink things.

As mentioned above, I really want to get the sub-60 before end of Summer, say Sept.

Im conscious of the fact that the Mini Marathon is a good route for PB (once you overcome the crowds which I mainly managed to do) so Im nervous it will take me a long time to match my current PB, let alone beat it.

At this stage I am just trying to think of a few races to get me there.

I have planned to do a local race - "The Curlew Warrior 10km" in Boyle, which promises to be a "challenging" race, i.e hilly as f*ck! So I will be using it as a hill training session per say, as I feel it will be a toughy.

After that I see there is an 8k in Headford on 9th July which would be a nice distance to race.

Playing with idea of the Claregalway 10k on 13th August... looks pretty hilly though. Could be a goer though.

Other than that I dont know where to go, so suggestions welcome!!

New training plan, going to try to step it up a little with a combo/adaptation of Hal Intermediate and Advanced. Ill see how it goes.
    I will be basing my LSR distance etc on it but with 3 runs a week total.

Plan: Week Commencing 12th June 2011

Mon: Spinning Class
    Wednesday: 6 x 400m
    Friday: 5 miles, 2 at race pace (9.55?)*
    Sunday: 6 miles

*Is this pace too ambitious? I done my PB 10K at 10.02 ave but I want to get down and would like to get to approx 9.55 ave?) Also which 2 would be best to go at fast?!

They changed the course for ClareGalway. Last time i did it it was a awful lot flatter then this course. :mad:

ger664 wrote: »
    They changed the course for ClareGalway. Last time i did it it was a awful lot flatter then this course. :mad:

Yes it doesnt really look like it has PB potential with the hills in it!

And it is perfect time wise. I might still give it a lash anyway, feeling positive!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Yungwan

Just catching up on your thread. You are doing so well. Almost at sub 60 for the 10k....in a year ..thats amazing! Its my dream too to do that sub 60 for the 10k. I'm sure we'll get there!

Great to see you so motivated and raring to go again

See you around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

The Clare 10k is a pretty flat course and might suit an effort at a PB, but it's on in 2 weeks or so (26th of June I think) so it might be a bit soon for your plans.

Advertisement