Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yungwan Versus 10K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Lots of races coming up in the west to pick and choose from yungwan.
    - There's the Annaghdown solstice run (10k) next Tuesday evening (21st). I'll be there myself.... reasonably flat.
    - the Headford 8k in July, a nice route and once you're up the main street it's pretty flat after that. I haven't run the race but have run the route a couple of times.
    - Mayo fit4life 5k series starting in Castlebar on Tuesday 21st (evening), with Ballinrobe and Claremorris on the next two Tuesdays. www.mayoac.com
    - Westport 5k on June 26th,
    - Balla 10k (hilly) on July 23rd.
    - Streets of Galway 8k August 6th (flat) http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/streetsofgalway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Thanks very much for the recommendations guys, very appreciated.

Yes I feel the one in Clare is too soon unfortunately.

I will definitely look into some of the others, I guess Ill just have to harden up and do some hill training!

The plan was:rolleyes:

Mon: Spinning Class
    Wednesday: 6 x 400m
    Friday: 5 miles, 2 at race pace (9.55?)*
    Sunday: 6 miles

In classic yungwan form, I have had to re jig a little!!

Monday: Spinning didnt happen, class was full (Again! And he didnt text me until late in evening when I had already geared to go :mad:)

Tuesday: I had the privilege of going to the bog for the evening! Decided feck it Id give it my all and treat it as my cross for week! And by God are my hamstrings tight as hell today!! :eek: For all you city slickers its one hell of a leg work out if you're stuck for some cross training!! :pac:

Wednesday: Planned intervals went out the flaming window. Couldnt find my Garmin anywhere and I am starting to think I left it behind in Dublin after the Mini Marathon. Hope I get it back, that would suck ass and I cannot afford another one... So I went out and done an easy 3 miler instead.

Having a much needed evening off tomorrow as I had stuff on every evening this week and I am shattered.

5 miles Friday

Chow for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Hey there - have been keeping an eye on the logs but not finding time for posting. Just wanted to say well done on all the great runs you've had lately - you sound like you're really enjoying the races and the times are dropping nicely! Enjoy your race on Sunday!

17/06/11

5 miles - 2 @ race pace

5 miles done in 54.31

2 pace miles were at 9.07 and 9.15 min/miles respectively.
    Happy with those, pity about some of the other miles though :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Overall pace was slow. As mentioned above I have had tight hamstrings all week and to be honest they are taking a long time to get right, despite a fair bit of stretching. They were definitely annoying me this evening too (esp the left one) so I think I may have strained something tbh :( It forced me to walk a good bit of the last mile, as the overall time indicates.

Still, I am happy with the 2 faster miles - 2nd one was slower as it was on a slight incline.

Will have to reassess the race Sunday. A hilly 10k race is the last thing my hamstring needs, so Ill see how it is 2moro evening..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

yungwan wrote: »

5 miles - 2 @ race pace

2 pace miles were at 9.07 and 9.15 min/miles respectively.

They were fairly speedy - faster than your planned race pace by a good 20-30 seconds per mile!

Have decided to give the race tomorrow a miss :(

Pity, but you need to know your own body and I know my hamstring doesnt feel right. Even walking around town today I could find it pulling. So I feel its a bad idea.

There will be other races.

I will get out and get some miles in myself instead 2moro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

I will get out and get some miles in myself instead 2moro

The reason you are not racing tomorrow is a tight hammie, so no need for miles. RICE for 3-4 days, then do an easy run and see how it holds up.

Thanks ger.

Good advice! It felt bad for not doing my 6 miler but I know it was the best thing.

My leg actually feels a lot better today so I am going to do my spinning class this evening (if they dont flipping cancel on me again :mad:)

Hopefully that is the end of the hamstring problems.... good excuse to get out of the bog for a while eh!!*

Yes I am a bogger haha

Plan for week commencing 20th June 2011

Monday: Spinning Class
    Wednesday: Hill reps. *
    Friday: 5 miles - 3 at pace
    Sunday: 6 miles

*Have to figure out plan for this yet. Suggestions??!

• Advertisement

Spinning class done!

This was a TOUGH workout today and because I had missed 2 weeks it had moved on quite a bit from the last session.

Delighted as I managed to keep up and felt good to push myself.

No probs from hamstring (although it felt tired today when wearing flat shoes around the office) Will take tomorrow off, then hopefully ill be back to normality.

Wed 22nd June

Hill Training

6 x Reps - run up, followed by jog down.
    15 second recovery, repeat!

1 mile warmup and cool down.

This didnt seem too hard tbh, I remember doing hill reps on the same hill abot 9 months ago and nearly DYING! Amazing how things change. I could have done some more but I was stuck for time. My life seems to be getting busier every week. I am currenty training for modding on another site (not a competitor of Boards, its a specific needs forum) so busy, but happy.

Hamstrings felt fine throughout thank god.

Rest this evening, and 5 miler Friday with 3 @ pace.

P.S - My Garmin never turned up, so annoyed about it, the old stopwatch will have to do now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You've been busy, the training seems to be going really well. Fantastic

:mad::mad::mad:

Feeling flu like

Hopefully a lie down will help.

Really dont want to miss my 5 miler :(

ffs... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Any halfs planned ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Really dont want to miss my 5 miler :(

ffs... :rolleyes:

Have u seen the whether outside today

ger664 wrote: »
    Have u seen the whether outside today

Well it might clear....

I'm trying to be Ms. Committed. :p

Any halfs planned ???

Not for the time being Elvis.

Have decided to concentrate on my 10K times for now.

But I am registered for Waterford Half in November (?) from last years deferral. So that will be my end of year aim for 2011 I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Not for the time being Elvis.

Have decided to concentrate on my 10K times for now.

But I am registered for Waterford Half in November (?) from last years deferral. So that will be my end of year aim for 2011 I would say.

Great i have 5 and the full in Oct planned along with some tri, i found the best way to do the sub 1h 10km was to split it into seperate 5km races that you aim to do sub 30 and that way it takes the focus off the 60 min number in your head !

I was to do a sub 2 hr half and at the mo in training am about 6 min off it, i use the 5 km trick 4 times with 1km at the end for a victory lap:D

i found the best way to do the sub 1h 10km was to split it into seperate 5km races that you aim to do sub 30 and that way it takes the focus off the 60 min number in your head !

Good strategy!! I might use that suggestion!

Good luck in your half efforts. I think last year I took on way too much, too soon. Got carried away and thought "I done a 10k and never thought I would, so twice that is the obvious next step"!

BIG mistake.

This year I am going to build my mileage up and be consistent in my 10k training, get sub 60 and then concentrate on Waterford Half and DCM 2012.

Unfortunately didnt get my 5 miler in this evening as I feel sh!te all day, my nap didnt solve me.

Hopefully Ill get it in 2moro, though Ive another busy day besides.

There never seems enough hours in the day lately, and all this pushing myself (life as well as running etc) leads to my poor body being banjaxed and letting me down :(

• Advertisement

Ok, I am back and I want to start a new week!

Last weeks plan did not go great :(

Only the spinning and hills done.

I took the weekend to get back to myself.

I really needed it to be honest, and I know I done no running at weekend but I am glad I decided to leave it, as I feel alot better, and less tired. I think it was viral or something, - a busy few weeks took their toll.

Anywho, must start the week as I mean to go on. P.M.A!!

Monday: Spinning
    Wednesday: Intervals 8 x 400m @ 5k pace
    Friday: 5 miles - 3 @ pace.
    Sunday 6 miles.

Oh, and PS I found my Garmin!! Woohoo

Tuesday: 8 intervals

400m with 2:10 rest (walking)

Stuck with the same variants as last intervals I done, just coz!

Time / Pace
    1:47 / 7:18
    1:59 / 7:59
    1:58 / 7:57
    2:14 / 9:02 :o
    2:03 / 8:18
    2:11 / 8:51
    2:27 / 9:54
    2:29 / 10.00

Oppsy.. a little all over the place, but anyways :rolleyes:
    Last two sucked as there was a strong annoying wind facing me.
    Done though.

Thursday: Spinning (couldnt attend Monday for child related reasons!)
    Tough as *u*k this evening... wow my quads were shot.
    Think I was still feeling the intervals in the legs to be honest, still, nice to be pushed anyway.

Friday 1 July 2011

Plan: 5 miles with 3 @ pace.

Actual: I knew I didnt have pace in me this evening. Legs were just too heavy after the spinning. So I decided to head out and do an easy 5 instead.

5 miles at (very) easy pace.

Lesson: Dont do a tough spinning class before a 5 miler with pace laps :rolleyes:

Found this week tough in many ways, plan is to do a 6 mile LSR Sunday, and if the legs allow put in a few pace miles.

Now..... time for vino :)

6 mile LSR done

Very warm out there today, but its done anyway.

:)

Week Commencing 4th July 2011

Wednesday: Hill Reps: 9 reps
    Friday: 5 miles (3 @ pace) *
    Sunday: 7 miles

Plan calls for a 5k race this weekend but there are none around. There is an 8K on Sat in Headford which I am tempted to do but its at 7pm and doesnt really suit. Will think about it.

Monday: Spinning Class

Thursday: 9 hill reps in pouring rain :(
    Didnt feel like going as was wrecked after work but went. Glad I did now, except for the getting soaked!

Last 2 tough but done.

1 mile warm up and cool down

3.5 miles covered total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Are you going to Headford on Sat? It's a nice route.

littlebug wrote: »
    Are you going to Headford on Sat? It's a nice route.

Hi Littlebug, obviously I didn't make it to Headford! How did it go for you?

Fridays 5 miler didnt happen. :(

Im just finding it hard to fit everything in at the moment, and unfortunately my run had to give Friday because of tiredness.

Also, I think the 5 miler is too daunting for me on a Friday. Im just not there at the moment, so I am going to reduce my Friday run to a 3 miler instead.

7 miles done yesterday anyway.

• Advertisement

Plan - W/C 11th July 2011

Wednesday: 10 X 400M
    Friday: 3 miles
    Sunday: 8 miles

Next Races Planned: Lough Arrow 8 Mile 30th July.
    Looks hilly in parts, but I guess I have to suck up the hills some time

Claregalway 10k 14th August 2011

Advertisement