Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Ideas

Options
  • 03-05-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I'm at a bit of a loss recently. Its getting a bit too warm for porridge in the mornings and I just dont know what to have instead!

Cereals dont really fill me up as much and I rarely get a chance to eat again until about 1. It also needs to be relatively quick to make.

I used to be a slave to scrambled eggs on a sunday morning but theyre not really a midweek go-to . Or are they?

What do you have for breakfast?

Cereal? Toast? Buckets of caffeine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Porridge FTW. I'm convinced it's a panacea.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I'm a porridge through warm and cold type of guy, I find eggs, especially scrambled/omelette are very quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I have scrambled eggs (2/3 with a knob of butter) daily, on the hob if at home and in the microwave when in work.

They keep me going until lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

At weekends I usually have a couple of boiled eggs & Mrs Billy's homemade brown bread toasted.

During the week I have coffee & a schinken gipfeli (sometimes I have two). These are one of the true marvels of Swiss cuisine - a croissant stuffed with chopped ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Hill Billy wrote: »
    a schinken gipfeli (sometimes I have two). These are one of the true marvels of Swiss cuisine - a croissant stuffed with chopped ham.

That sounds amazing! Yum.

I thin I might stick with the porridge a little while longer.

Olaola - I fully believe it was porridge that kept the flu away this year! That and the lashings of honey with it.

I don't understand the people who have some fruit and a yogurt, tried it today and was STARVED by 10.30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Quite like having a poached egg on top of spinach with some brown toast. Or just cheese on toast. Or mash an avacado into some toasted wholemeal toast and then melt some cheese on top. Nom. Of course, that's when I have time, otherwise it's no brekkie for me. :o

At the weekends I feed my hangovers with the King of all breakfasts, Mexican eggs.

Edit: Actually it's not no brekkie, it's strong coffee and a cigarette which is really really bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Scrambled eggs, Smoked Salmon and brown Bread - yum scrum !

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

diddlybit wrote: »
    At the weekends I feed my hangovers with the King of all breakfasts, Mexican eggs.
    I'm not sure but I think its something like
    Fried eggs on corn tortilla, topped with salsa, and refried beans

Shame I can't eat tortilla or beans, refeed cheat meal maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

I've started making my own granola out of porridge outs. I usually have it with some youghrt and a load of fruit. Its fills you up just like porridge.

Try this recipe - http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/recipes/homemade-granola-with-maple-yogurt-and-berries-2372436.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

I eat porridge for 8 months of the year. The other times its Shredded Wheat Bitesize as they have no added sugar in them, unlike most of the crap you get out there

For a treat I agree with sakani. Muesli (sugar free) or Granola with yogurt and some fruit. Dont do any of the cooking on that recipe though, just have it cold, takes 2 minutes to make.

On weekends it bagels for breakfast all the way. Fill them with whatever takes your fancy

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think its something like
    Fried eggs on corn tortilla, topped with salsa, and refried beans

Shame I can't eat tortilla or beans, refeed cheat meal maybe :D

No Tortillas? :( I just eat mine with cheese and sour cream.

I've eaten them a good bit when out to brunch, but most places fry the eggs (love fried eggs, but just not for breakfast.)

I follow a Jamie Oliver recipe where the eggs are poached in a spicy tomato and pepper sauce. They turn out lovely and soft, and if I get my timing right, runny middles. Nom.

Recipe can be found here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article6816965.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

olaola wrote: »
    Porridge FTW. I'm convinced it's a panacea.

Gives me heartburn every time, guaranteed.

Prefer eggs. Or having lunch at about 11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Homemade smoothie made with alpro soya milk with granola whizzed though it is hearty but not heavy....and its delicious! I use pineapple, raspberries, alpro, apple juice, honey, cinnamon and granola.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Breakfast Fajitas!

Sausages, rashers, pudding, - chopped up, and stirfried.

Scrambled eggs

Tomatos

All in a wrap with mayo and ketchup...

I reccomend you add Fajita seasoning too, (although its not really a breakfast thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Korvanica wrote: »
    Breakfast Fajitas!

Scrambled eggs

Tomatos

I reccomend you add Fajita seasoning too, (although its not really a breakfast thing)

Tasty I'm sure but it wouldn't be something to have every day.

Scrambled eggs mixed with some chopped up chorizo is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Korvanica wrote: »
    Breakfast Fajitas!

Scrambled eggs

Tomatos

Oh my god, my boyfriend would swap ME for that. I must pray he never finds out it exists!

I'm all for savoury breakfasts just like that but I always find they take longer!No matter how 'quick' its meant to be! Maybe because i associated them with a leisurely weekend morning?

Scrambled eggs with pesto is pretty good too. Stops them getting too boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Before you go to bed the night before, hardboil some eggs, peel them and pop them in the fridge. Next morning, mash them up with some mayo and a chopped spring onion, wrap in a slice of ham - and there's a quick and easy breakfast that'll keep you going for hours.

Alternatively - make a crustless quiche by mixing 4 eggs, 250ml cream, a handful of grated Cheddar, a couple of slices of ham or smoked salmon, chopped - pour into a dish, bake for about 35 mins at 180 degrees, cool, put into the fridge an have a slice for breakfast. You can vary the fillings - broccoli and salmon, mushrooms and peppers, even spuds and chorizo for a Spanish take on it all. This 'quiche' should feed you for 4 days :)

Advertisement