Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Brigade

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

---Quote---
    Go to your local TD or a Garda someone that you feel will be sensitive about it and ask there advice.Maybe you can get relocated or something.But this i'm sure is happening all over.Its Either Black's or Traveller's
    ---End Quote---

Got banned for using the term Black's. Although it's generally used all over the globe.Here is a article from NOBELPRIZE.ORG

Martin Luther King
    named Man of the Year by Time magazine in 1963; and became not only the symbolic leader of American *blacks* but also a world figure.

PC BRIGADE in over drive In my Opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You're generalising the behaviour of entire classes of people in a negative way. You've received a ban for it. Not seeing the issue here.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The main problem in my eyes is the unwillingness to accept that the original decision was wrong. Generalising certain groups maybe socially wrong,Racist it is not,Which i was accused of.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    The main problem in my eyes is the unwillingness to accept that the original decision was wrong. Generalising certain groups maybe socially wrong,Racist it is not,Which i was accused of.

You're generalising negatively about one group by race, and another by ethnicity. There isn't really another definition of racism.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I am willing to serve my ban,Although i think it is grossly unfair and inappropriate to harbor such ignorance to a valid point and refusal to hold there hands up and admit there mistake.
    Every such thing and person in this world is generalised from the Paddys being drunk to that Pigs are messy.Open your eyes to the big bold world,And stop getting a hissy fit every time somebody questions maybe a risqué topic,Although it's a popular thing to do.

I'll serve my time

Slán

Prop Joe

I am willing to serve my ban,Although i think it is grossly unfair and inappropriate to harbor such ignorance to a valid point and refusal to hold there hands up and admit there mistake.
    Every such thing and person in this world is generalised from the Paddys being drunk to that Pigs are messy.Open your eyes to the big bold world,And stop getting a hissy fit every time somebody questions maybe a risqué topic,Although it's a popular thing to do.

I'll serve my time

Slán

Prop Joe

Racism has always been popular. So has animal cruelty, child abuse, wife beating, war, and a whole long list of other things.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Pointless argument.Popular,so has imposing your beliefs onto others!!
    Wake up to the notion that not every one thinks like you,And forcing your beliefs onto them is very unjust

Pointless argument.Popular,so has imposing your beliefs onto others!!
    Wake up to the notion that not every one thinks like you,And forcing your beliefs onto them is very unjust

It's really not a matter of belief, though. As I said, ascribing characteristics - particularly negative characteristics - to an entire racial or ethnic group is racism. That's what the word means. Whether racism is acceptable or not depends on where you are - on Boards, it isn't.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

The difference there is that growing a beard is optional - it is a choice, and could fairly be held to reflect something in the character of the person concerned. It is also reversible.

Belonging to a particular racial or ethnic group, on the other hand, is neither optional nor reversible.

If I go for a job interview, and am turned down because I have a beard, or long hair, or dress a particular way, I have the option to change those things. If I am turned down because I'm black, or Irish, or a woman, or a Traveller, I don't have that option - I am what I am.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

have the option to change those things. If I am turned down because I'm black, or Irish, or a woman, or a Traveller, I don't have that option - I am what I am.
    - Show quoted text -

Oh my you have used a racist term,Hopefully you will see the error in your ways and ban yourself for a few days.Or are you exempt from the rules.

Also you could change from a woman to a man,From Irish to another nationality or you could change skin colour ala Jacko.So get of your high horse my learned friend.

• Advertisement

have the option to change those things. If I am turned down because I'm black, or Irish, or a woman, or a Traveller, I don't have that option - I am what I am.
    - Show quoted text -

Oh my you have used a racist term,Hopefully you will see the error in your ways and ban yourself for a few days.Or are you exempt from the rules.

Also you could change from a woman to a man,From Irish to another nationality or you could change skin colour ala Jacko.So get of your high horse my learned friend.

OK - I have the feeling you're not learning anything here. To clarify the original ban, the problem is not the use of the word "blacks", the problem is that you were generalising negatively about one group by race, and another by ethnicity. That's racism, and resulted in a ban. If you do it again, it will result in another one.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Scofflaw wrote: »
    To clarify the original ban, the problem is not the use of the word "blacks", the problem is that you were generalising negatively about one group by race, and another by ethnicity. That's racism, and resulted in a ban. If you do it again, it will result in another one.

Going to step in here and agree with the above. Racism is not tolerated here on Boards.
    Prop Joe you are quite new so please take time out to learn what is and is not acceptable. A good hint here is to wait before you hit the return key, and review what you wrote from the readers perspective and see how they would interpret what was written.
    I would chalk this one up to experience.
    The ban stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement