Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pathway along Canal

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows what this new pathway is that's been built along the canal around Leeson St Bridge / Baggot Street area?

It's a bit of tarmacaddan with a kerb on the outside. Is it a bike lane? If so, there already is a bike lane along the canal already.

I work nearby and they seemed to have been working on it for at keast 9 months. Just seems like a bit of a waste of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

If it's the same path I'm thinking of, it is indeed a cycle lane but it's mostly segregated from vehicular traffic so people should feel safer using it. The reason it took so long is because the city decided to move/upgrade some underground services while they were doing it. It was all work that needed doing so they bundled it with the cycle lane construction to save time and money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As markpb points to, there's several things going on at once:
    • Building a two-way off-road cycleway -- it's part of a part planned, and partly built, larger network along the canals and Dublin Bay.
    • Upgrading of pedestrian facilities -- putting in crossing where there were none so people can walk along the canal and cross the roads along it; putting in tactile paving for disabled users; and improving the general quality of footpaths at the junctions.
    • Drainage work on the roads along the canal.
    • Dredging the canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Are they going to tarmac Grand Canal Quay (the street with the low bridge)? Shame if they get rid of cobbles

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Are they going to tarmac Grand Canal Quay (the street with the low bridge)? Shame if they get rid of cobbles

Only a small part of it -- around 2-3meters wide. On the south end, mostly where they are removing parking spaces.

I'm not sure if the street has been blocked yet, but the street is now a cul de sac, with no motorised traffic allowed under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yep it's a cycle lane. And cost €10,000,000. Yep €10 million.

We are broke aren't we?
    there's several things going on at once:

Putting up monster motorway scaffolds for cycling traffic lights and unecessary signs and galvanised poles seems to be most of it.
    Patrick Kavanagh is rotating in his grave...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

MadsL wrote: »
    Yep it's a cycle lane. And cost €10,000,000. Yep €10 million.

We are broke aren't we?

Putting up monster motorway scaffolds for cycling traffic lights and unecessary signs and galvanised poles seems to be most of it.

You conveniently forgot to mention that part of the €10m would involve the construction of 4 bridges, 2 of which would be pedestrian bridges. Also there is a load of cabling and cctv installation that is being lumped in with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

MadsL wrote: »

Really ? I thought he liked cycling

Defo a walker...

Bit of a clue here..

Canal Bank Walk

Leafy-with-love banks and the green waters of the canal
    Pouring redemption for me, that I do
    The will of God, wallow in the habitual, the banal,
    Grow with nature again as before I grew.
    The bright stick trapped, the breeze adding a third
    Party to the couple kissing on an old seat,
    And a bird gathering materials for the nest for the Word
    Eloquently new and abandoned to its delirious beat.
    O unworn world enrapture me, encapture me in a web
    Of fabulous grass and eternal voices by a beech,
    Feed the gaping need of my senses, give me ad lib
    To pray unselfconsciously with overflowing speech
    For this soul needs to be honoured with a new dress woven
    From green and blue things and arguments that cannot be proven.

construction of 4 bridges, 2 of which would be pedestrian bridges

We need more bridges over the canal? Really?

If the lights at Leeson Street bridge are anything to go by I'd say it's going to be a handy way of reducing the number of cyclists. Having a red light just over the bow of the bridge while it's still green coming from Leeson Street Upr is a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement