Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which smart phone for a dinosaur?!!

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭

I've has a nokia 6300 for the last million years and am thinking of going for a smart phone, a type of iPhone that's not an iPhone, iykwim. I haven't a clue and all they want to do in the phone shops is sell sell sell, so any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sudzs wrote: »
    I've has a nokia 6300 for the last million years and am thinking of going for a smart phone, a type of iPhone that's not an iPhone, iykwim. I haven't a clue and all they want to do in the phone shops is sell sell sell, so any advice appreciated. :)

What do you want from your phone? What do you intend on using it for?

And of course what's your budget? And will you be going for a bill pay plan, and if so are there any networks you are tied to??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in the UK first of all, and on O2 pay as you go at the mo. Any of the providers seem to offer more or less the same deals for pay monthly so really just want pointers for a whch phone!

Intend using it for a bit of internetting and email, but none of yer facebook carry-on!! And not too big a device either. ....see, I said I hadn't a clue! I think I want an iphone sort of thing that's smaller and not an iphone!!! :D

or should I just stick to my 6300?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

I got my first smart phone last April - a nice, shiny Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. A bloody nightmare of a thing it turned out to be. Broken screen, numerous factory resets & lost data, poor signal strength, etc, etc...

Got fed up with it a few weeks ago and dug out my previous phone - a Sony Ericsson K800i - which is the best phone I've ever had.

I went for an Xperia because I wanted something that wasn't an iPhone. The Xperia, when it worked, was great for internet use but ended up being such a pain in ar$e I'm just glad I don't have to use it anymore.

I'm sure many would disagree but think twice before opting for an Xperia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Basically, you need to decide whether you want to have a smartphone first. Do you really think you'll be browsing the web, using twitter, facebook, email etc on a portable device?

If you do, then you'll love it, if you won't ever use any of those functions it will basically be a heavy phone with a fancy display that burns batteries so fast that you will hate it.

As for ease of use:

1) iPhone. It's just very easy to figure out and it generally works and is very well supported.
    2) Android, particularly HTC's implementation of it, is extremely user-friendly and easy and robust.
    3) I'd look at Windows Mobile, but the range of apps is limited and ... eh, it's windows :D
    4) Nokia - Nice hardware, not so nice software. Symbian is just getting very old very quickly and Nokia will be changing path towards Windows Mobile soon. So, it's a bit of a dead end to go with a current-generation Nokia smart phone.
    5) Blackberry if you're primarily only interested in instantanous email notifications. In general their handsets are pretty old-fashioned and not pleasant to use and the range of apps is quite limited compared to Android and iPhone.

In short : iPhone or Android (HTC particularly) is the way to go if you want something easy to use.

Btw: If you've loads of music already in iTunes and intend to use the phone as a music player, your decision's basically made for you : iPhone

If you live in Gmail and google apps .... Go with an Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Solair wrote: »
    Basically, you need to decide whether you want to have a smartphone first. Do you really think you'll be browsing the web, using twitter, facebook, email etc on a portable device?

If you do, then you'll love it, if you won't ever use any of those functions it will basically be a heavy phone with a fancy display that burns batteries so fast that you will hate it.

As for ease of use:

1) iPhone. It's just very easy to figure out and it generally works and is very well supported.
    2) Android, particularly HTC's implementation of it, is extremely user-friendly and easy and robust.
    3) I'd look at Windows Mobile, but the range of apps is limited and ... eh, it's windows :D
    4) Nokia - Nice hardware, not so nice software. Symbian is just getting very old very quickly and Nokia will be changing path towards Windows Mobile soon. So, it's a bit of a dead end to go with a current-generation Nokia smart phone.
    5) Blackberry if you're primarily only interested in instantanous email notifications. In general their handsets are pretty old-fashioned and not pleasant to use and the range of apps is quite limited compared to Android and iPhone.

In short : iPhone or Android (HTC particularly) is the way to go if you want something easy to use.

Btw: If you've loads of music already in iTunes and intend to use the phone as a music player, your decision's basically made for you : iPhone

If you live in Gmail and google apps .... Go with an Android.

That's really helpful Solair, thanks for taking the time! :)

I'll have to have a good think about it. I have a lot of musc in iTunes but also use google mail a lot! But hate my iPod so maybe I'll check out Android!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're not locked into Apple just because all your music in on iTunes.....

I have an iTouch and (obviously) an iTunes music library but was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the HTC Sync s/w would send music (individual songs and/or playlists) from the iTunes library to my HTC Desire running Android!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

coylemj wrote: »
    You're not locked into Apple just because all your music in on iTunes.....

I have an iTouch and (obviously) an iTunes music library but was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the HTC Sync s/w would send music (individual songs and/or playlists) from the iTunes library to my HTC Desire running Android!

It won't if your music was purchased on iTunes and is subject to Apple's DRM system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It won't if your music was purchased on iTunes and is subject to Apple's DRM system.

Apple haven't DRM'd music tracks for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Errrm tbh it offers the most use friendly experience out there. Big icons and easy to use NUI. 15k apps and growing fastly every week and it got all the most popular apps.

You can use Zune to manage all your music and pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

sudzs wrote: »

if you are a 'dinosaur' stick to what u have.

I don't want a hand set that is cleverer than me; just a plain basic phone with no ridiculous trimmings. Essentially a 'thick-phone' if u want to call it that ha ha. i do, its the profile name i inputted into it )

• Advertisement
Advertisement