Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble with maths

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I tutor Introduction to Maths and Stats for Business courses in a number of universities in Ireland and I would like to organise tailor made online exam revision courses for university students who need additional help in these types of subjects.
    I have found that there is big demand for such support by students having to repeat maths-related university exams or where the subject is a compulsory module in the degree program.
    Does anyone know, based on their experience or through hearing from friends, of universities where there is a demand for this type of support. It's very diffcult to obtain this information from the university websites.
    Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tony Grant

You see a need and you have the ability to develop a training program online. In my experience the best way to do it is to go ahead and develop it yourself and put it online and then advertise it among the students and hope that it is successful. I have done this with the electricla apprentice courses. When you have it up and running then you approach the lecturers in the colleges, they will support you. Do not expect to get any official support. Eventually they may buy you out if you want that.
    Good luck with that and I found MOODLE a great way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mabrophy

Hi Tony

Thanks for your advice. I was looking at Moodle and it has a lot of different uses. It don't know if online live tutorials can be given through the site.

I have a website for the registration but I was thinking of using Adobe Acrobat Pro as the platform for delivering the online courses. How did you find Moodle beneficial for your courses?

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

A tool that gives maths support for 3rd level students would be very valuable. Maths grinds for engineering students can run any where from 30 to 40 euros.

If you developed a really really good program you could sell it and maybe develop mathematical support for engineering students and then there's 2nd level maths, how many kids fail maths in the leaving cert every year? What parent won't spring 30 euro for a program that will help there nearest and dearest. After all education is the only ticket out of poverty and to a better life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tony Grant

my last message was cut as I was a bold boy. My point was that I know someone working on building a virtual classroom using Moodle and Adobe Pro. and making it cost effective be pay as you use ideas for small numbers and small training bodies could use for startup.
    If you have a curse for maths or other subjects like mine, electrical science and electrical Craft Practice for apprentices, then that would be ideal, with Pro you can save a session and put it up for use in the future. That is much better than Moodle, I use Moodle as I only need set pieces again and again. My students keep me on my toes and ask me to do more and correct my mistakes. This would even become harder with Pro. If I put in my phone number here I may get cut off again. google me if you want to contact me directly.

Advertisement