Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant - what next?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Okay, so myself and the girlfriend just found out we are expecting a baby. Not really planned but not a total surprise and we are both delighted.

We saw our GP and he just referred us to the antenatal dept of the hospital. They don't want to see us for another 6 weeks and our GP said come back in a month. I am sure this is the normal procedure but I cant help feeling a bit underwhelmed by his response, I know people get pregnant every day but I just thought there would be more urgency/drama about the whole thing.

My question is, what should we expect next - what tests should be ran and at what stage of the term?

We are looking to get information on what she should eat, what kind of exercise is she allowed to do etc... but we got no advice from our GP.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Well, for starters, congratulations!

I understand the underwhelming feeling - my gp didn't even want to see me until I was 12 weeks, then I didn't go to the community antenatal clinic until around 20 weeks. It was only once there that I was referred for the scan, which eventually happened around 24 weeks.

Everyone seems to have different experiences, so whatever your own gp does, go with it. Won't hurt though for you both to sit down with the gp & go over exactly what happens when so you're prepared for what's next. No point me telling you what's coming up if your own care will be different :rolleyes:

Over the coming weeks you'll find good online sources for info & to help you track how the baby's growing & developing. Until then, make sure your gf takes it easy as much as possible - she can do whatever she feels up to doing. I was out working with our farm animals even when heavily preg, so don't be worried about "overdoing it"...if it feels ok it probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Congratulations, very exciting times ahead :D

A good pregnancy book can be useful, and now is a good time to do lots of research, if you feel like it.

Your girlfriend might also want to consider taking a good prenatal vitamin/mineral supplement (containing folic acid).

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Thanks for the replies guys..

Yeah she is on the Folic Acid already - just waiting for the morning sickness next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Hopefully for her she won't get any, some people don't get it at all, I didn't. I did however feel like I had a constant hangover for 12 weeks :)
    Just tell her to relax and try take it easy these will be the longest couple of weeks ever when anything could happen so make sure she is looking after herself and you are looking after her too. The best thing I was told is listen to your body ie, if you are tired, take a rest!

Like SarahJ I had no morning sickness at all, hopefully your girlfriend will be as lucky.

I was very tired for the first 10 weeks or so though. Felt wiped out most of the time, spent every afternoon wishing I could take a nap under my desk in work :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Squiggler wrote: »
    Like SarahJ I had no morning sickness at all, hopefully your girlfriend will be as lucky.

I was very tired for the first 10 weeks or so though. Felt wiped out most of the time, spent every afternoon wishing I could take a nap under my desk in work :)

On number 1 I used to come home from work, take a nap, get up for an hour or two and then go back to bed for the night... I pretty much slept if I wasn't in work... oh I also slept on the bus to and from work too!

Yep, that was pretty much me too. I'd sit down to watch some TV with my husband after dinner and be fighting sleep just to try to spend some time with him. Felt like a little kid trying to stay up past bedtime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Its a crappy system alright! I presume you were advised to start taking folic acid etc? If not the best thing to get is pregnacare, its over the counter in an chemist and contains folic acid and 19 other vitimans. Congratulations :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Firstly- congrats!!!

Me too on the tiredness! I was completely wiped out up until week 18, and am still easily knackered!

I was also very underwhelmed by my first GP visit- all they did was check my blood pressure and tell me to pick a hospital, and then call chosen hospital to book myself in!

Even my first hospital visit was quite a non- event!

They seem to be so busy at the moment, that there is an attitude of "if it's not broke, don't fix it..."... as huge as pregnancy is for the parents- to- be, it is a natural, every day occurance, and they're happy enough to let you tip away unless there are problems! I didn't have my first proper appointment in the hospital until i was 17/18 weeks.

I've heard that a lot of hospitals ante- natal classes book out really quickly, so while it might feel a bit premature, it might be an idea to get the names down for those!

A lot of the information you'll be looking for is online or in a good pregnancy book- paticularly with regard to foods to avoid and things like that...

Best of luck over the next 9 months and beyond :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

Congrats boogerballs.

can i ask what hospital you will be attending,
    as this will make a big difference.
    we had an appointment with a scan every 4 weeks at the hospital.

we only saw our local doc once and they referred us to the hospital from there onwards.
    dont expect the world you will be let down, everything is slow.

if you want something simple to read, get pregnancy for dummies,
    also start looking at adverts.ie for baby items like prams and clothes,
    you will spend a fortune if you buy everything new.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
Advertisement