Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indestructible Toys for Terriers!

• 03-05-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Ok - at this stage I think I have tried everything that the average pet shop has to offer! But Millie, a really pretty and angelic looking terrier (with the most amazing teeth on the plant), has managed to chew her way through everything:eek:
    My most recent purchase was one of those very hard balls that the shop assured me could not be damaged - but there are now bits of it in her bed! Don't know how we haven't ended up in the vet's A&E up to now!
    The thing is, her brother Max really likes toys but he cant have them because she eats everything that comes into the house! By the way, she's not a pup - she's five years old!
    Has anyone got any ideas on what I could get them to play with? Suggestions so far from my very helpful family have included a concrete block or an iron bar:eek::confused::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Excedion

When i had a terrier i got an old fishing net float for him, still in good shape. Then again its probably just as hit and miss as other stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Old rags with knots tied in them are great terrier toys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Old rags with knots tied in them are great terrier toys :D

Probably not a bad idea! Certainly better than my family's suggestions:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

We used to tie an old towel into a knot and then soak it for one of our foster dogs and he loved it. Lasted him a good while too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Freezing face cloths is another idea, even though it's more of a teething cure for dogs, but it works with chewers in general. I have one he'd chew through his own leg if I let him! Make sure the cloth is well and truly hard then let your terrier at it, should get at least an hour out of it and if you used an old knotted towel, you'd get a few hours out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We soak then freeze old dish cloths for them to throw around. I also love the rope toys for them, they seem to last a while. I prefer the ones with no plastic handle or anything so that there is less to chew on.

When it's hot out I'll mix some nice dog food things like raw mince or tuna, cover it in water in a lunch box and freeze them. They spend ages sliding them around the garden. And about once a week we get raw marrow bones, freeze them and we gets hours of peace. If you don't want to give her raw bones, a frozen kong would work as well. Although the bones are great for their teeth. If it wasn't for my freezer my house would probably be falling down around my ears. Both boys are big chewers, thankfully never destructive.

Neither of them like the taste of citrus fruits, so when we get a bag of lemons or oranges I'll usually throw one down for them, it lasts them just as long as a tennis ball and it's hilarious to see their face when they puncture it. The jumping back and "attacking" it.

And finally - coconuts are brilliant. It should be slightly too big for her to pick up comfortably, so she'll be more likely to chase it than to carry it around. Coconuts last ages in my house and they love when they finally crack it open and the milk spills out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

where do you get those raw marrow bones Whispered? do your guys eat the bone and all?

have you tried kongs and nylabones Shazanne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Shazanne wrote: »
    Ok - at this stage I think I have tried everything that the average pet shop has to offer! But Millie, a really pretty and angelic looking terrier (with the most amazing teeth on the plant), has managed to chew her way through everything:eek:
    My most recent purchase was one of those very hard balls that the shop assured me could not be damaged - but there are now bits of it in her bed! Don't know how we haven't ended up in the vet's A&E up to now!
    The thing is, her brother Max really likes toys but he cant have them because she eats everything that comes into the house! By the way, she's not a pup - she's five years old!
    Has anyone got any ideas on what I could get them to play with? Suggestions so far from my very helpful family have included a concrete block or an iron bar:eek::confused::D

try an eggball.... these are brillant... its hard.... like totally hard... this cannot be wrecked... and its great fun... i have one for my cocker and he gets hours of fun with it... and yes he pierced tones of footballs over the years :P

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/balls_dog_toys/146815

try a kong...

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/kongs/kong/139215

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/kongs/kong/139393

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great suggestions here. I have a destructo dog too who gets through regular balls and toys in seconds. The knotted rope is one of the few things that has lasted. The bone shaped kong works better than the regular one for her though the edges have been nibbled a bit and the first one she had has disappeared presumed buried :rolleyes:. Frozen towels etc sounds great:D.

ppink wrote: »
    where do you get those raw marrow bones Whispered? do your guys eat the bone and all?

In the butchers. They look awful but the boys love them. (http://www.cleanfoodconnection.com/catalog/images/Beef-marrow-bones.jpg yuck!!)

They tend to scrape any meaty bits off the bone, then spend ages trying to hollow out the marrow. We take them then before they can crush and digest the bone itself. Although in saying that we often get rib bones too and I leave them to eat them. On butcher day the two boys look like little monsters carrying their ribs around the back garden!:D

(EDIT: Littlebug - or anybody who knows how - can you please explain how to turn your link into text. I know I should use the "insert link" button, but that just allows me copy and past a link, I don't know how to change the text)

• Advertisement

cool thanks:) I will have to look for them. you will have to post up butcher day pics:D

the ribs- are they beef or does it matter? I dont usually give pork to our dogs.

I assume they're beef, but I never asked. I thought the raw pork danger was mainly in the US. (Aujeszky's disease?) If it's a danger here too I'll have to be more careful to make sure it's only beef.

I don't know a whole lot about cuts of meat, but these are like a line of ribs without a whole lot of good meat on them, more fatty sinewy bits that the dogs pull off.

ppink wrote: »

have you tried kongs and nylabones Shazanne?

I have! The kongs were fine - except the usual problem when you get them a kong each and they both want the same one:rolleyes::D
    Haven't come across the nylabones - unless they're the things that are lying mangled in my garden at the moment:eek:

Just about to order a Eggball - thanks Cocker!

Whispered wrote: »
    I assume they're beef, but I never asked. I thought the raw pork danger was mainly in the US. (Aujeszky's disease?) If it's a danger here too I'll have to be more careful to make sure it's only beef.

I don't know a whole lot about cuts of meat, but these are like a line of ribs without a whole lot of good meat on them, more fatty sinewy bits that the dogs pull off.

Never heard of that disease:o. I dont feed it because of the salt and also because I gave them water from the boiled bacon once and they were really sick from it. Maybe it is another one of my little phobias:eek:, especially seeing as I heard it is more dangerous than raw chicken (to us that is!)

Nylabones are tough as hell Shazanne....if she went through that you have you work cut out that for sure:D

we usually have a row over the kong alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hey shazanne we found the "crazy critters" from jml very good, our terrier destroys all his toys. But this fox we got from jml is still intact six months later.

mav79 wrote: »
    Hey shazanne we found the "crazy critters" from jml very good, our terrier destroys all his toys. But this fox we got from jml is still intact six months later.

Are they soft toys? I bought an "indestructible" soft toy last year, you know the ones that are double stitched and cost nearly €30. I gave it to Harley and by the time I had the rest of my shopping unpacked it was all over the kitchen floor.:rolleyes: I'd love to find a soft toy that could take a bit of a bashing.

Whispered - I know exactly how you feel! That's Millie all over! When I first got her (she's a rescue) I used to love buying her toys - if I had all that money back that I paid for all "the ones she couldn't possibly destroy" I'd have a much better bank balance today!
    O, and by the way, anything that squeaks in any way whatsoever cannot come within an ass's roar of our house!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The soft toy has no stuffing so there is nothing to rip apart, our guy loves it, don't know about indestructable but it was got in november and still fine, doesn't squeak any more but he still loves throwing it around and fighting with it.

Advertisement