Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up for engineering???

• 03-05-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Almost all my cao choices are engineering, all of which require a HC3 in maths.
    Now it's probably unlikely but there's a chance I mightn't get the C3(stupid project maths pilot school).
    I'll (hopefully) get the 400-450 needed, hoping to reach around 500 points.
    What would be the best way to organise my cao choices? Should I put a science course down incase I don't get the maths requirement?

What science course would be best to get into engineering eventually? Was thinking along the lines of a general science degree in somewhere like UCD but I don't know what the points are like.:confused:

Basically, if I don't get my first choice (UCD) it will probably be because of the maths requirement which will knock the rest of the choices off the list for the same reason.

Thanks in advance!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Almost all my cao choices are engineering, all of which require a HC3 in maths.
    Now it's probably unlikely but there's a chance I mightn't get the C3(stupid project maths pilot school).
    I'll (hopefully) get the 400-450 needed, hoping to reach around 500 points.
    What would be the best way to organise my cao choices? Should I put a science course down incase I don't get the maths requirement?

What science course would be best to get into engineering eventually? Was thinking along the lines of a general science degree in somewhere like UL but I don't know what the points are like.:confused:

Basically, if I don't get my first choice (UL) it will probably be because of the maths requirement which will knock the rest of the choices off the list for the same reason.

Thanks in advance!:D

+1

Same boat as you mate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭breadmond

I'm doing engineering now but I remember my career guidance teacher advising me to put down applied physics in DIT or DCU (can't remember which) as a backup as it's not a million miles from engineering. I was in the same situation as you, bricking it about the maths result but ended up with a B3 somehow so you never know. To be honest, if your heart's set on eng you can always just repeat maths, it's not the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

UL offer a maths exam in august for those that dont get the grade recquired in maths for their course. More so for those who might possibly fail the honours maths paper but i'm sure you could still do it if you didnt get the c3. Plety of engineerin courses in UL!

Advertisement