Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swords league Garristown - Ardcath

• 03-05-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

first time on this as i missed the first one, looks like a pain fest,how many laps this week ?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 laps plus another 7.5km from the start to the circuit and back again

Good luck to everyone - I'll be at Old Trafford, so giving this one a miss. Looking forward to the reports though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Have to attend a course (that's my excuse anyway :rolleyes:).
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
    Great circuit and nowhere to hide.
    Looks like the weather will be good if a bit windy.
    And Beasty hope you enjoy the match and much as it sticks in my throat good luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Is rain expected?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Is rain expected?
    Don't think so - looks like it might be a bit windy though

Much more importantly, is Irvine expected?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Beasty wrote: »

If so I'm staying home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't think so - looks like it might be a bit windy though

I think he won again.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Raam wrote: »
    I think he won again.

Yes he certainly did ... managed to sprint onto his wheel and hold it for twenty seconds. Proudest moment of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

well that went well sort of rode over to garristown didnt realize it was 20k up hill,
    headed off in group 2 and i was well able to ride in the group and done a fair share of pulls on the first 2 laps even pulled the group over the top of ardcath on the first 2 laps but was feeling it on lap 3 so took a back seat from then but a lot of guys were not doing their bit so it was inevitable that we would be caught as we were on the narrow bit on lap 3,
    the speed shot up and as a first year A4V i just dont have the speed to hang on to those guys as they sweep past im sure they put on a spurt as they catch a group which makes it even harder so out i went on the descent at 60k +,
    we got a nice little group going for the run in to the finish good work out happy with how im going but lads if we all do our bit we could have held them off till ardcath and given ourselves a chance to stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Went off in Group 3. The pace was uneven for the first lap and a half, when we were caught by a couple of breakaway riders. Some of us jumped on and the rest of their group showed up. The pace was high enough but nothing like last week's insanity - there was no-one killing themselves going up Ardcath second time around.

Scratch caught us early on the final lap and there was a crash just to my right. I think four riders went down.

We caught Groups 1 and 2 on the narrow section round the back. A friend of mine gave me a holler as I went up the outside and I made the mistake of looking around. Two wheels in the ditch for 20 metres or so but I managed to stay up, thereby avoiding what would have been a fall worthy of You've Been Framed.

Four or five riders got away just after that but they were well in view. Two others (including honkjelly) also went across shortly afterwards. Things were cagey enough up Ardcath and for the run-in. The group away were playing cat and mouse but I didn't have the confidence to go across, fearing that they would kill me on the final drag and that I might be passed by others in my own group too. In hindsight, I think that was a mistake - I probably would have been last in that group but I think I would have improved my overall position.

I gave it everything up the final drag and got away from most of the group to take ninth overall. I suspect that others in the group weren't all that bothered about putting in a final effort but I was delighted with my first league points nonetheless.

I hope those involved in the crash are OK. Many thanks to Joe, Breda, the ambulance crew and all the marshalls. A particular thanks to the motorcycle lead who looked after our group extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Spun over from Skerries was thinking about scratch and saw a top UCD and Sport Activ Jesrsey there so parked that idea for this week. Then Martyn arrived with a nother full timer based in Belgium as well as one of the top juniors. :eek:

Went semi scratch witha view to trying to stay away as long as possible so hammer fested it from the start. Was fine till second lap coming into village where the legs were shot and then saw car coming round so presumed scratch were on us. They caught us up the hill after left out of Ardcath but we had group 3 with us so was just too big a group for those crappy roads. Crash occured in front of me so got caught and had to chase back on and wheels were being dropped all over as well as traffic causing some issues (Raam any comment here?)

Sat on for rest of way home and didn't even try going up the hill. Fun night plenty of incident and no-one hurt. Fair play to anyone hanging onto the scratch lads or getting near them. Spin over and first two laps killed me but most enjoyable race in a long time and a great workout. The league is all about training for me and open races always seem far easier after that. anyway surviving those race. didi see someone doing a bit of ploughing up the right of the road alright. Well recovered.

Traffic didn't cause an issue for me. I stopped because I had a puncture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

Found this race extremely tough. Wasn't feeling well all week, went up mount leinster Tuesday night and ended up with a chill and night sweats. went with semi scratch and would be the first to admit that i did not do a tap. just wasn't feeling up to it.found it difficult at times to stay on for the first 2 laps, some of the guys were fairly pushing at the front, was a bit annoyed with myself that i didn't contribute more, but theres always another race.was lucky not to go down when the crash happened, someone caught their wheel between my crank and the rear chain stay, had to unclip to keep my balance but lucky enough stayed upright, chased back on and stayed with the group until the last hill, gave a kick to see if there was anything there and i just seemed to have that bit more in the tank than the others, got fourth but i have no doubt that if i had done my fair share then i would have been back further. a good midweek spin before Roundwood. thanks to all involved for putting on a good race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Traffic didn't cause an issue for me. I stopped because I had a puncture.

...goes to Raam for his dedication to getting a close up inspection of the tractor during a race!!!

A massey is classy but a Zetor is better.

well that went well sort of rode over to garristown didnt realize it was 20k up hill,
    headed off in group 2 and i was well able to ride in the group and done a fair share of pulls on the first 2 laps even pulled the group over the top of ardcath on the first 2 laps but was feeling it on lap 3 so took a back seat from then but a lot of guys were not doing their bit so it was inevitable that we would be caught as we were on the narrow bit on lap 3,
    the speed shot up and as a first year A4V i just dont have the speed to hang on to those guys as they sweep past im sure they put on a spurt as they catch a group which makes it even harder so out i went on the descent at 60k +,
    we got a nice little group going for the run in to the finish good work out happy with how im going but lads if we all do our bit we could have held them off till ardcath and given ourselves a chance to stay away

Was in group 2 also. Lots of people hiding which meant we got caught before the end. Took the group up Ardcath the first lap and did a fair amount of pulling from the front. Was disappointed to see that it was mostly the same few people doing the work trying to stay away. Stayed with the scratch boys for a short period but the work put in earlier meant that I got dropped before the last time up Ard Cath.

I think that part of the group 2 problem is that when some people come through (myself included some times), they do so too fast which causes the bunch to split and push too hard and get upset! The young lad from Dunboyne is guilty of this mostly so must have a little word before the next race.

Only the second race so still pleased with myself - esp so as I managed to pass three lads on the last climb before the line after nearly breaking my back to catch them!

Come on group 2 - we all need to work together and get the up and overs working properly!!

If it gets lined out, then the person in second place is the one to get it started again. Just call to the front guy to ease up and then you ride through, not accelerate through, just ride through.

Read this: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/11/rolling-through/

If it gets lined out, then the person in second place is the one to get it started again. Just call to the front guy to ease up and then you ride through, not accelerate through, just ride through.

Read this: http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/11/rolling-through/

Ah I know that but it gets annoying having to keep doing it. Ah well - that's racing I guess.

Thanks anyway!

Yeah we were pretty messy last night too and were doing that but because we all know each other it's easier to make that work.

If you are second and someone shouts at you to go through you're more more likely to trust someone you know to come round you and give you a break (esp after you've just done a turn).

I'm brutal for hammering through and know that sometimes lads are wary to go on my wheel so I end up on my own at the front but as was pointed out to me that does make you stronger.

My personal pet hate id to hear someone shout "Steady" it means slow down so say that. Anyway if they can shout steady they aren't suffering enough. :p

Also pointed out to me last night was that scratch was only riders who don't work or if they do work their job is to ride a bike. :eek: don't feel so bad for bailing to semi scratch now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    My personal pet hate id to hear someone shout "Steady" it means slow down so say that. Anyway if they can shout steady they aren't suffering enough. :p

It actually means stop accelerating and decelerating
    Much easier to shout steady that that though .....;)

Ps who was that poser crossing the line at the end of the you-tube clip :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

Went along this evening with the definite aim of hanging on to the group till the end this week, or at least till things really wound up on the last hill. So that meant no doing extra work or getting enthusiastic (I'm just not strong enough to do that in group 3 and survive). Noticed tonight was a bit quieter then previous weeks, with a small group 1, a very big group 2 and only one big group 3, as opposed to the previous two group 3s. Don't know about group 4 and 5. Thought I might be in trouble when I saw Sam in group 3. Group went of at a much more sensible pace then two weeks ago though it was a bit jerky at times with regards to up-and-overs. We were caught by group 4 (or some of them) on the fast part of the back of the 2nd lap but their speed didn't carry through to going up the hill in Ardcath (thankfully). Was recovering in the middle/back of the group after doing a bit when the bikes went down right in front of me - somehow I missed the impact but saw the two bikes (more?) skid along the ground raising serious sparks. I was still trying to pick my landing point when I realised they were skidding toward the road edge but keeping enough forward momentum that I could brake enough not to hit them - managed to get by with a good inch or two clearance from the nearest downed bike wheel. Apparently it was close to punches after that. Crash caused me and a few others to get dropped - came close to getting back on but never quite made it. We picked up a few droppees from groups 1 & 2 and maybe 3, and pushed on to the finish. Good race, nice to see I could do my share and still stay with the group, so long as I was sensible.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ps who was that poser crossing the line at the end of the you-tube clip :cool:

"I can ride with no hands, ohh la la, look at me with my Iron Man tattoo."

"I can ride with no hands, ohh la la, look at me with my Iron Man tattoo."

Ahem and shaved legs brings it up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Was in group 3 last night and faired better on Ardcath than I thought I would. On the first lap I reckon leading the front at the start of Ardcath I be at the back by he top but ended up still at the front at the top so the going was good for me. I was at the back of the crash on lap 3 and had to swerve onto the grass verge and avoid the ditch. I was handbags at Dawn between the crashees but looked like no one was hurt. That was the end of the race for me and I did the last 13kms on my tobler. I would have been snookered at the final climb to the finish anyway.

Long socks again had a few shouts at him last night on the road. His movements are just too sudden in a bunch. I just try to stay away from him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Seems all of last nights group 3 is on here. Was there myself as well. As has been said, the up and overs weren't great but did work in parts. Difficult to get it going properly as some descend faster and some ascend faster. Was doing a combination of my fair share at the front and hanging on at the back. That and trying to keep as far away from long-socks as I could, he’s going to cause an accident (if he hasn’t already). There wasn’t much of an increase in pace as the other groups caught us. I was behind the crash as well but on the other side of the road. A lot of sparks, both on the road and in the ditch after! With the concertina effect I ended up un-clipped in the rough which was the end of my hanging on. Fought hard to try and get back on, first as part of a small group with abc_xyz and then a solo dig as well, and did get closer but was never going to get close enough. While I wasn’t feeling strong early on in the race I did finish pretty strongly so at least that’s something!

Congrats to manwithaplan on a points finish. That’s some good work, but it obviously took a lot out of you, driving away with a water bottle on your roof!(at least I think that’s where it came from!)

Thanks to all who organise and marshall these races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

driving away with a water bottle on your roof

You'd think I would have learned my lesson the last time I did that with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

That was quite an enjoyable evening. Went off in group 3 again and the up and overs were all over the place. Think we only managed 2 full reps of all people coming through. Legs didn't feel that good at the start but by the time we were caught by semi scratch I was going ok. When scratch caught I got hampered a bit with traffic and 4 got up the road. One guy tried to get across and was in no mans land so decided to try and bridge a decent gap for the first time. Caught the guy ahead and he shouted to go steady which I did. When he came around to do his turn he didn't return the steady favor and dropped me - you live and learn! Thankfully the front group slowed up soon after and i got on. When I recovered I went to the front to keep the tempo going as I knew there was no way I'd be out sprinting the lads. Finished up with 6th which was a nice return for the effort i put in. No better training.

Nice one on 9th manwithaplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Long socks again had a few shouts at him last night on the road. His movements are just too sudden in a bunch. I just try to stay away from him now.

i think their is i bit of pellaton snobbery go in on here just because you dont have a pair of NW carbon shoes and a pair of giant ankle socks doesnt mean you can ride your bike :rolleyes:

what group is he with haven't had the pleasure of riding with him yet just seen him briefly hanging on the back as i was been shelled out

i think their is i bit of pellaton snobbery go in on here
    If only - however there have been comments about him from different riders after every race, all about the danger he is causing. He is clearly a strong rider and I guess his socks and lack of cleats make him easy to pick out. It's clear someone needs to have a word with him

• Advertisement

i think their is i bit of pellaton snobbery go in on here

We bitch about everybody equally. There is some foreign dude who wears the loudest jerseys known to man. I've tried talking to him but it's had no effect what so ever.

On the up and overs someone needs to take charge of this in each group - inexperienced racers need educating, and some of the experienced ones need to perhaps say something before everyone sets off

Next week will see some long flattish sections (along with the Nags Head:rolleyes:) - this will be the ideal opportunity to try and get the groups working. The other thing is, because the finish is on the flyover, rather than the Nags Head, if groups can work to stay clear (and together) until after the second ascent, they will either stay ahead, or should be able to keep up with the faster groups to the finish if caught. The limit group won one of these last year (through working bloody hard, I might add, or at least that's what I am advised)

It's about 22km round the circuit, so there's also an opportunity to give Martyn Irvine a real handicap if he turns up again (hope you're reading this Joe;))

There is some foreign dude who wears the loudest jerseys known to man. I've tried talking to him but it's had no effect what so ever.
    Banish him to the back of the group - don't want to embarrass the Club with photos of someone like that doing all the work at the front

On the up and overs someone needs to take charge of this in each group - inexperienced racers need educating, and some of the experienced ones need to perhaps say something before everyone sets off

It's the experienced ones who are more than strong enough to work but who choose to sit on which annoy me. Treating me like their bloody lead out train, mumble mumble...

We bitch about everybody equally. There is some foreign dude who wears the loudest jerseys known to man. I've tried talking to him but it's had no effect what so ever.

Nice one!

If only - however there have been comments about him from different riders after every race, all about the danger he is causing. He is clearly a strong rider and I guess his socks and lack of cleats make him easy to pick out. It's clear someone needs to have a word with him

Have a quiet work with Joe or Sam and they will have a chat or get someone in the group to.
    John Shortt or if he's out would be ideal as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

are you all from the same club???

seems a lot of infighting there.....I think the cracks are starting to appear!!!!!

morana wrote: »
    are you all from the same club???

seems a lot of infighting there.....I think the cracks are starting to appear!!!!!

The club is splitting up unfortunately

Some are becoming the Kings of Skerries CC

Raam is going to set up the Euro-Swords CC (all white gear)

Beasty the Royal Swords United club

The rest are fighting over who gets to keep Joe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

shaungil wrote: »
    A massey is classy but a Zetor is better.

My Dad has a Massy Ferguson 135 that's about 50 years old and still going strong. The Zetor is never better.

was marshalling last night so got the see what the pace was like from side of road. was freezing by the end. group one cantered along on first lap. Group 2 slightly quicker. Group 3 (which was huge) were going a good pace while semi scratch and scratch were flying. think Raam was at the front of semi-scratch on each lap. couple of guys were dropped from scratch group and were saying it was first time they've ever been dropped in club league so goes to show how fast scratch are going.

here's a few pics. apologies for quality. should have brought the camera but only had the phone. you can just about make out long socks guy in pic5 at front.

picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9458
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9457
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9456
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9455
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9454
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9453
    picture.php?albumid=1696&pictureid=9451

50 years old and still going strong.
    How can anything so old still be going strong;)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

How can anything so old still be going strong;)?

well maybe not strong but going anyway. typical cyclist - anything over 2 years needs to be replaced (my rule of thumb anyway) :D

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    The club is splitting up unfortunately

Some are becoming the Kings of Skerries CC

Raam is going to set up the Euro-Swords CC (all white gear)

Beasty the Royal Swords United club

The rest are fighting over who gets to keep Joe ;)

King of Skerries is already split into 3 sub groups,

Raam won't let anyone else into EuroSwords even Lusk or LBD.

Beasty has built his track and won't let anyone use it as he sets all comers records on it.

My Dad has a Massy Ferguson 135 that's about 50 years old and still going strong. The Zetor is never better.

was marshalling last night so got the see what the pace was like from side of road. was freezing by the end. group one cantered along on first lap. Group 2 slightly quicker. Group 3 (which was huge) were going a good pace while semi scratch and scratch were flying. think Raam was at the front of semi-scratch on each lap. couple of guys were dropped from scratch group and were saying it was first time they've ever been dropped in club league so goes to show how fast scratch are going.

here's a few pics. apologies for quality. should have brought the camera but only had the phone. you can just about make out long socks guy in pic5 at front.

I see that I was moving so fast that I was but a blur at the front of pic 6!!! Didn't stay so fast for long after that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

I was in group 2 for this, tough circuit and as others have said before we never really got the up and overs going. I think it's actually quite a hard circuit to get up and overs going well, due to it being quite narrow in sections and also the up and downs mean some lads who are good roulers are suffering a bit on the hilly bits and trying to hang on. For the last few years that this circuit has been in the league it's usually been hard to get up and overs going on it. [but wait 'til ye see Clonalvey if you think that Ardcath one goes up and down a bit :eek: ]

Anyway we got caught on the 3rd lap and scratch blasted by, couldn't really hang on there, saw some very interesting manouveres by mr. long socks [he was at the back and nearly took one or two lads out with some joyous displays of switching just before that tractor where RAAM had pulled in for his puncture]

After that, I managed to tag onto abc_xyz and Mick Rock who were doing a grand job altogether and another group formed and we stayed together 'til the final hill, I managed to drop my bloody chain [or somehow get it jammed] so had to slow up for a bit, and got back on after a bit and gave it a bit of a go up the hill at the end, or rather too much as I died gloriously half way up... great training though.

Corduff next week. Oh dear. Can't wait to see scratch absolutely murder everone. I think our group will need about 2 days handicap or so to stay away from them scratch boyo's?:rolleyes:

Hope the crash victims are ok also, and thanks to all the marshalls and Joe and Breda, and the lads in the cars and our very own mr. Garda motor bike man:cool:

Advertisement