Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell out of warranty issue... XPS M1330 RE: Nvidia Litigation

• 03-05-2011 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey,

Long story long, laptop 4 years old, bought for €1400. The GPU overheats, and its been bust for over a year. It is a known issue, and Dell had extended their warranty to 3 years for such a fault but did not alert their customers.

My laptop broke within this period, I assumed it was out of warranty, and because I had been given something else to do my work on I did not follow it up. A couple of months later I rang them and having deduced it was the known fault, explained my case. They told me that my laptop had just gone out of the extended warranty and it would cost roughly €360 to repair it! (I have the quote saved, it was roughly a year ago)

I decided to wait, as I had a functioning laptop. But when I finish college I have to return that, so I will desparately need a working one. So I called a week ago, and the quote has raised to €480 euro (they were not entertaining a free repair, or listening at all).

I'm going to send a registered letter, requesting repair or replacement, and threatening bringing my case to the small claims court. As I stated before it is a known issue: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html (People vs. Nvidia, USA)

There have been a few threads about this exact problem in the past. Just wondering if anyone has any more recent updates about the Nvidia Dell issue? I plan on basically basing my case on the grounds that they had a responsibilty of alerting their XPS customers of the issue. In which case I would never have been put in this situation!

I really need a replacement/repair asap to work on a project, any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think you are wasting your time. You've left it for over a year since it broke, and have no proof that it did break within the extended warranty period, so this could have happened more recently. At over 4 years old, it is by no means certain that the SCC would entertain your request for a repair or replacement (certainly not replacement, since you've had 4 years use out of it).

It will only cost you €15 to find out, but don't place too much reliance upon it. Be prepared to buy a new laptop soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FireHydrant

Wait I just realised after checking my mail, that I purchased it in March 2008, and in April 2010 I have the first quote. So that means Its just had its third birthday, but it broke before it got to two!

Surely if a consumer buys a top of the line product, there is a higher than average life expectation associated with the purchase. At the very least a responsibility on the part of the goods provider to notify of such widespread terminal faults?

I am more optimistic than you it seems...

*The duration of the warranty only lasted 1 year, + another for the specified fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If there was a fault and the seller is liable, they have a right to examine the item during the warranty period if you want them to repair/replace it. You should have sent the computer back immediately when the issue occurred. Also I am not a computer expert but from my limited knowledge and what I have read on boards and in the media, 4 years for a laptop which is used for work/study is a reasonable lifespan. Good luck.

Advertisement