Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v Molex to USB

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

I have made a cable to power my CK3 externally from a USB port, as I hate having to open the PC case each time, problem is it's only enough to power the CK3 and the drive needs 12v, as far as I know USB cables have 5v, + and - data lines and one ground is there anyway to step up 5v to output 12v to give the power thats needed to the drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Why not get something like this
    CK3XT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Why not get something like this
    CK3XT.jpg

I've got one of those which I used on my tower PC which died, so now I'm using my Media Center PC but the bracket on that CK3 adapter is too tall to make the card sit in. I've heard of a circuit called LM2577 which takes any DC input and steps it up to the desired output

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm acutely aware of how providing a steady 12v to the CK3 is a requirement and not doing so can ruin your drive - it's what they think bombed my first drive, a sudden drop and then over-volt to compensate from a dodgy PSU.

With that in mind, I'd go with something more complete than a hack-job step-up transformer which will be clunky, or a 3 USB bus (+15v) which might damage lines on the mobo. Why not shell out for either extension cables (like me) and run the molex from PSU through a gap in the back or front if your case has removable front panels for the DVD drive slots. Failing that, there are 220v to 12v DC adapters like this example one in the US you could source from a modding supplier.

I think I'll go with your long Molex cable suggestion, as I can lift a door off one of the empty PCI slots and run the cable from PSU out externally seems to be the most economical solution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-sata-ide-cable-set-474

I've used this before (the molex power supply that comes with it) and it worked grand.

• Advertisement

I'm going to order one of those cheers for recommending :)

TeamXecuter have come up with the Molext, it's powered by two 9v batteries and gives you 12v and you don't need a USB port or wall socket but at $29.99 it still doesn't beat the price of the product available on DX

justryan wrote: »
    TeamXecuter have come up with the Molext, it's powered by two 9v batteries and gives you 12v and you don't need a USB port or wall socket but at $29.99 it still doesn't beat the price of the product available on DX

What a kick in the balls it would be to run out of battery power mid-flash :p Does look nifty though, great for the mobile flasher

Exactly what I thought unless one of the batteries is fallback power, I wouldn't like to keep buying batteries either

Can't be fallback power, one battery alone only provides +9v. Still, 112 drive flashes is nothing to laugh about for two 9v batteries :D

• Advertisement

Hmm I think TeamXecuter won me over on this one, LEDs will flash indicating when the batteries are running out of juice link

Heh, I'm thinking that I never do mobile flashing and don't own an X360USB yet. Maybe if I ever do offer it as a service I'll upgrade :D

I have got the Maximus Lizard and they just released the firmware update for standalone mode today :D

Advertisement