Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trampolines, too dangerous?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

After 4 years of a trampoline (with a safety net) we've had no accidents whatsoever and hours and hours of family fun and excercise. Can't say the same about other toys though - bikes and scooters - Endless cut knees... football matches - pleanty of twisted ankles, ballet classes - torn muscle.. Camogie - bruised legs... Point Im trying to make is that kids will hurt themselves with all sorts of activities. It's just the trampoline being a relatively newer phenomenom that people are noticing the accidents more. How many kids are hurt off their bikes daily ? Probably 300% more than trampoline accidents.

The main safety points are

-Use a net
    -Separate big kids and little kids if having a party
    - Keep an eye on visitor's kids that aren't used to trampoline rules
    - Lay down the ground rules before use.

They're no more dangerous than any other outside toy once used properly.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree they are no more dangerous than any other activity if used properly. As a kid I ended up in hospital three times in three years from accidents and we never had a trampoline. :)

Kids will rough and tumble, and youve got to let them, with reasonable supervision and rules. We have a trampoline with net, and even with me standing by the opening, my son once ended up coming out through it on to the ground. So they do need you there while they are on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billy C

Thanks CrazyRabbit. Are those trampolines available here? I know how much work and how expensive it is to sink one in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Billy C wrote: »
    Thanks CrazyRabbit. Are those trampolines available here? I know how much work and how expensive it is to sink one in the ground.

http://www.dyg.ie/springfree-trampolines-Ireland-worlds-safest-trampoline-0

There are probably other sites as well...though they do seem only a new product to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

http://www.dyg.ie/springfree-trampolines-Ireland-worlds-safest-trampoline-0

There are probably other sites as well...though they do seem only a new product to Ireland.

OUCH..... starting price €759...:eek:

Thanks for posting the link tho :D

• Advertisement

OUCH..... starting price €759...:eek:

Thanks for posting the link tho :D

For something that will provide years of enjoyment & exercise, and yet be as safe as technically possible, I think it's worth it. Yes, it's a rip off price since materials probably cost about €200, but I'd probably still buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

An extra 500-600 quid for the added benefit of ... what exactly? Nothing hard inside the border? I've a 13' trampoline for my girls - 1' around the border is cushioned. But guess where the majority of the bouncing takes place? In the middle.

That trampoline is just preying on insecurities and there's no way I'd buy one.

And I'd also like to point out that in the first two pictures the children are bouncing above the level of the netting - that's a whiplash and broken neck risk if they catch their chin on the netting.

Not to mention this one:
    R54_Kids_Jumper.jpg

That kid could clear the netting completely. So much for safety.

Land face first on that 1' cushioned area and you'll find out exactly how un-cushioned it actually is. :D

Also, I doubt younger kids would be able to bounce that high, and they are the ones most at risk. To clear the net, I think an older child/adult would actually have to deliberately try it in order to succeed....but yes, it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got my lads a trampoline years ago and it was one of the best things they've ever had though we no longer have it.

It's like anything if it's not used correctly then accidents can happen. The only "damage" that occured on ours was the crotch of their trousers/tracksuit bottoms splitting.

On the other hand my older boy fractured 3 bones in his foot after running across the green and stumbled and bent his foot back, another time he was lying belly down on his skateboard and went over a speed ramp and the front wheel came down on his little finger and he fractured 2 bones in it and he also fractured his wrist at rugby training.

When I was a child I fell off a bike and broke my front teeth which have cost me a fortune over the years, I also had my stomach ripped open after running through and electric fence, as a 17 year old I fell off a horse and broke my wrist, as an adult in my 40's I slipped on ice and broke my ankle so accidents can happen from even the simpliest of things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This thread is interesting reading. I've always had a fear of trampolines - or rather of my kids using one.

We'll be moving soon, hopefully to a place with a proper garden and my nearly-three yr old has just started asking about getting one. Time to face my fears. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Billy C

Thanks for finding the link CrazyRabbit, I could only find the link to one in the US: they have a lot of stats about trampoline injuries: http://www.springfreetrampoline.com/independent-safety-research. According to A&E / E.R figures, most trampoline injuries are caused by falling off (52%), the second most common is banging into padded frame or support bars (31%) and the third is banging into other people (17%). I guess there is nothing you can do about the third one unless you monitor the children constantly, but if you can eradicate the main two which are 'equipment induced' (82%) that sound good.
    independent-safety-research

Billy C wrote: »
    Thanks for finding the link CrazyRabbit, I could only find the link to one in the US: they have a lot of stats about trampoline injuries: http://www.springfreetrampoline.com/independent-safety-research. According to A&E / E.R figures, most trampoline injuries are caused by falling off (52%), the second most common is banging into padded frame or support bars (31%) and the third is banging into other people (17%). I guess there is nothing you can do about the third one unless you monitor the children constantly, but if you can eradicate the main two which are 'equipment induced' (82%) that sound good.
    independent-safety-research
    If only one child is allowed to use it at any one time, then you also remove that 17%. But that might be going overboard...how serious an injury can you get from bumping into someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

If only one child is allowed to use it at any one time, then you also remove that 17%. But that might be going overboard...how serious an injury can you get from bumping into someone?[/QUOTE]

Brain damage!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-564761/Mother-boy-left-brain-damaged-bouncy-castle-accident-wins-1million-damages.html

That news article relates to a accident on a bouncy castle.

Ordered our first Trampoline, will be here next week, 10 foot with enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Last summer my 7yr old fractured a bone in his chest and also bit his tongue badly on our friends trampoline, when his bigger friend landed knees first on his chest.

Doctor said trampolines and bouncy castles should be banned as A&E are clogged up treating kids with injuries (many a lot worse than my lads knock), and that these were the 2 most common causes of injury for children attending A&E.

The neighbours have burried the trampoline to ground level as younger kids were going in under it while others were bouncing.

My lad loves them and it is great exercise and outdoors (he hasn't been put off by his accident).

We have a small bouncy castle which we monitor heavily and no one has ever been hurt on it.
    They are fun but also dangerous and need to be well supervised imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Last summer my 7yr old fractured a bone in his chest and also bit his tongue badly on our friends trampoline, when his bigger friend landed knees first on his chest.

Doctor said trampolines and bouncy castles should be banned as A&E are clogged up treating kids with injuries (many a lot worse than my lads knock), and that these were the 2 most common causes of injury for children attending A&E.

The neighbours have burried the trampoline to ground level as younger kids were going in under it while others were bouncing.

My lad loves them and it is great exercise and outdoors (he hasn't been put off by his accident).

We have a small bouncy castle which we monitor heavily and no one has ever been hurt on it.
    They are fun but also dangerous and need to be well supervised imo.

If you stick to one child at a time and have a net i cant see much damage being done to a child. My lady fell off (well jumped off, but landed wrong) bouncy castle there 2 years ago tore ligaments in her ankle and was on crutches for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my trampoline has safety nets i have had stitches twice with my kids in the back of the head and one three yr old broken leg just from the friction on the bone just jumping i work in a hospital and these accidents are more common place all the time they are far too dangerous and mine are now banned from them anywhere they go now its ur choiice but could you live with yourself if your child was the next fatility

Advertisement