Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Are Motorbikes Legally allowed on Bus Lanes?

• 03-05-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

I see so many bikes on bus lanes so its sort of a common assumption that it is legal, but is it really?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 3.2 turbo capri

my understanding is that motorbikes are not allowed to drive in the bus lanes , as seen a motorbike getting pulled for it by liffey valley one morning , saying that i didnt know and used to use the bus lanes the whole time when i had my blackbird lol .....

if u read the rules off the road no where does it say motorbikes can use the bus lanes but think it comes down to the police at the time and last year they where trying to bring in that motorbikes could use the lanes but think there was too many complaints and worries and about buses and motorbikes crashing together ................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Nope is the short answer.

Within the prescribed times, bus lanes can only be used by buses, psv's and emergency services vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They can't, but I've done a lot of miles in Dublin city and driven past countless police catching car drivers in them and was never stopped. Sometimes given a wave, a couple of times even waved into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Simple answer. No they are not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

No -- but the bus lane is one of the safest places on the road for a biker, so most take the risk and most garda turn a blind eye because of this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

jameshayes wrote: »
    No -- but the bus lane is one of the safest places on the road for a biker, so most take the risk and most garda turn a blind eye because of this

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you see a Garda bike/car/truck coming up behind you in a bus lane, would you pull into the normal lane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They can't, but I've done a lot of miles in Dublin city and driven past countless police catching car drivers in them and was never stopped. Sometimes given a wave, a couple of times even waved into them.

Once your not acting the maggot your fine.

jameshayes wrote: »

Very true, unless the other people that are not meant to be there decide to pull into it without looking!

If you see a Garda bike/car/truck coming up behind you in a bus lane, would you pull into the normal lane?

Of course - no need to annoy the boys in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I see so many bikes on bus lanes so its sort of a common assumption that it is legal, but is it really?

Cheers

Not allowed by law.

If you don't act the maggot, (ie 30-40 mph max) and don't in any way restrict the movement of vehicles (use your mirrors and lifesaver) that are allowed to use it then 99% of the time you'll be fine. I've gotten pulled very occasionally by garda but show a bit o respect and usually all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nope is the short answer.

Within the prescribed times, bus lanes can only be used by buses, psv's and emergency services vehicles

and pushbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Yes - in some Dublin city center bus lanes you can legally ride in them. For example the short stretch at the city end of Pearse St. where normal traffic is forced to turn right, and through access is only provided for buses, taxi's cycles & motorcycles. there are a couple of other locations - one is up by the Garden of Rememberence heading towards the river.

Other than those specific ones, bikes are prohibited by law from using the bus lanes. As said above, custom & practice is that we do, and that's usually fine provided you're riding sensibly and defensively, but it's all down to the discretion of the individual Garda at the end of the day.

€80 fine, no penalty points if it goes against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Is it not the case that all traffic can use bus lanes outside of the prescribed times:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

As above, strictly no, but everyone uses them. I was told by a guard its fine. "Never compromise safety for position" is the line my teacher said - and this can apply in this instance too, its a lot safer than dodging traffic. I have been pulled in in bus lanes a few times but never done for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Is it not the case that all traffic can use bus lanes outside of the prescribed times:confused:

Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Road > Rules for driving > Traffic signs & road markings > Buses
    In this section: Glossary: Diverging? Pinch Point? Chicane? If you aren’t sure what a word means, look it up in our glossary

Buses

Bus lanes

Bus lanes are sections of road reserved for buses, whether public or private. Taxis and bicycles may also use some bus lanes.
    Where there is a bus lane, you will see an upright blue and white sign on the side of the road on a pole and on the roadway there will be markings of a continuous white line and the words "Lána Bus". You must obey the road marking and the sign. The white plate shows when the section of road is meant only for the buses shown. Normally bus lanes operate from 7am to 7pm or during peak hours. Outside these times, all traffic may use them. You should check the information plate to confirm the time limits that apply.
    ts&rm_buses_00.jpgBus Lane
    ts&rm_buses_01.jpgContra Flow Bus Lane

There are two types of bus lane:
    • with-flow, and
    • contra-flow.
    A with-flow near-side bus lane, shown below, runs in the same direction as the traffic beside it. It can be used by bicycles and taxis as well as buses and is normally reserved during the periods shown on information signs at the start of the lane.
    buslane-offside.gifMoto198.gifbuslane-withflow.gifMoto198.gifinfo-plate.gif
    Contra-flow bus lane

A contra-flow bus lane runs in the opposite direction to the traffic beside it. It is reserved only for buses, which means that no other traffic may use it, day or night.
    Moto199.gif
    If a 'yield' sign appears at the end of the bus lane, the bus must give way to other vehicles as it merges back into normal traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

So, here's a related scenario-based question;you're on a road with two lanes plus a bus lane all going in the one direction. You're in the bus lane - but of course you're not driving a bus! The lane has own traffic light (i.e. has a green light with the word 'bus' written on it) that goes green before the green light for the other lanes. (The N11 is an example of this set up)

Do you go for the 'bus lane' traffic light, or do you wait for the 'main' light to go green? And does the answer change if it's past 7pm and the bus lane is not in operation?

Just curious what opinions here are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

There are (at least) two bus lanes in Dublin where bikes are legally allowed to ride . MAGS is actively campaigning for it to be legal on all bus lanes, there's more on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

psicic wrote: »
    So, here's a related scenario-based question;you're on a road with two lanes plus a bus lane all going in the one direction. You're in the bus lane - but of course you're not driving a bus! The lane has own traffic light (i.e. has a green light with the word 'bus' written on it) that goes green before the green light for the other lanes. (The N11 is an example of this set up)

Do you go for the 'bus lane' traffic light, or do you wait for the 'main' light to go green? And does the answer change if it's past 7pm and the bus lane is not in operation?

I dont drive a bike, but I would imagine that you would stop in between the bus lane and the 1st normal lane. Or else pull in front of the stopped traffic in the 1st lane.

Using the bus traffic lights would be a bit too cheeky in my eyes.

Legally, you probably shouldn't be in the bus lane to begin with but assuming you're ok with that then I don't see how it's any worse to use the lane's traffic lights. I assume that taxis use this light too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Stay out of contra flow bus lanes. You'll get done in them

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I assume that taxis use this light too?

About a quarter of taxis stop and wait for the main light, but the majority use the 'bus' lane light to go. With motorcyclists it seems to be 50-50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say your best bet is to go jump into the driving lane before the lights when the bus lane is in operation.

Out of hours there was a huge thread in motors about it, can't remember the outcome. But since by law we're supposed to drive in the left most lane and an out of hours bus lane is just normal road, I'd go on the bus light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Those lights are normally at a junction where some of the busses need to make a right turn at the next junction (hence crossing 2 or more lanes of traffic). The filter just gives them a headstart so they don't have to merge with the other lanes while they are moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭rameire

i use buslanes all the time, but take it slow and easy, and dont take the mick.
    i have been pulled once by a garda for driving in a buslane but that was to tell me that he had to stop me as he had a car stopped in the buslane and he was taking their details. he let me go after 30 seconds.

i have also been pulled over by a super int garda, he told me to get out of the gutten on my moped, drive in the middle of the road and use the buslanes.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Pardon this zombie post, but I was pulled over on my bike coming home. A plain clothes garda as well (possibly idle on this, a Saturday) from Irishtown Garda station, pulled me over to tell me that bikes aren't allowed in bus lanes, though it depends on the sign. Apparently some bus lanes you can, but I'll be damned if I know where they are.

Funny thing was I was singing a tune by Mika to myself just before it happened. Bad things always happen to me when I do that. Conversely, good things happen when I sing Florence and the Machine. Quite curious. Like it was Mika when I failed my car test, but Florence when I passed. Or Mika when I was diagnosed with MS but Florence when I won €40 on the lotto. I guess St. Columbanus is just trying to keep me in one piece. But also, filtering is not allowed, e.g. the practise of getting to the top of the lights in the gap between 2 rows of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Bus lane not legal alright never got in trouble for doing it myself and will continue to use it.

Who said filtering isn't legal? I think it's fine, again, never had any hassle for doing this either and I always thought it was legal. Some states in USA it's illegal but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Keith186 wrote: »
    Bus lane not legal alright never got in trouble for doing it myself and will continue to use it.

Who said filtering isn't legal? I think it's fine, again, never had any hassle for doing this either and I always thought it was legal. Some states in USA it's illegal but not here.

Strict interpretation of the rules of the road by a garda with nothing better to do on an overcast Saturday afternoon said it was illegal. I guess the main thing to take from this whole days events is not to ride like an eejit and keep yourself upright in a decent state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

IMO..it should stay as it is...I've never been pulled for using one,I've even being using them when there has been a Garda car/bike in view..as said previously if you don't act the tool you should be ok...it's the idiots that whore along in them that causes offence...if they were opened to bikes you'd have more accidents involving cars wanting to use them too....how many cars do you see using them when they shouldn't. ...

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »

Yup filtering is perfectly legal, or at least there isn't a law saying it's illegal. It's even in the RSA handbook (page 8). Of course, dangerous driving is still dangerous driving so if you're acting the maggot or filtering at high speed then a Garda could correctly call you up on it. Personally, I only filter when cars are stationary or very slow moving and I never filter up the inside of cars when they might turn off (regardless of whether they are indicating).

I also occasionally use the bus and cycle lanes for filtering but only when there are no cyclists or buses around and there is no other safe filtering route. I'm probably on the wrong side of the law on this but do it slow and safe and most Gardaí will tend to let you off.

Advertisement