Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Are Motorbikes Legally allowed on Bus Lanes?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Bus lanes I'll use if it'd be faster than the regular lane. I've pulled up beside bike cops at lights in the bus lane multiple times, no hassles. Also passed right through the checkpoint for bus lanes on the way into town before heuston, still no hassles. Bike lanes are a bit of a stretch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Shtanto wrote: »
    Pardon this zombie post, but I was pulled over on my bike coming home. A plain clothes garda as well (possibly idle on this, a Saturday) from Irishtown Garda station, pulled me over to tell me that bikes aren't allowed in bus lanes, though it depends on the sign. Apparently some bus lanes you can, but I'll be damned if I know where they are.

Sooooo? Did you have a quiet chat or did he do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I've always used bus lanes for my own personal safety and will continue to do and will argue same to a judge if required.....end of.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Bus lanes I'll use if it'd be faster than the regular lane. I've pulled up beside bike cops at lights in the bus lane multiple times, no hassles. Also passed right through the checkpoint for bus lanes on the way into town before heuston, still no hassles. Bike lanes are a bit of a stretch though.

Yeah I would agree with you, bus lanes no problem but bike lanes are taking the piss.
    As an occasional cyclist aswell I wouldn't go in one on the motorbike and I would say it to a biker if he came near me in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Expect the book to be thrown at you re bicycle lanes. Use age of same on a motorbike will see you in a world of pain if caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Expect the book to be thrown at you re bicycle lanes. Use age of same on a motorbike will see you in a world of pain if caught.

Only if it has a solid line. A hatched line allows entry to avoid obstacles and traffic is an obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yeah I would agree with you, bus lanes no problem but bike lanes are taking the piss.
    As an occasional cyclist aswell I wouldn't go in one on the motorbike and I would say it to a biker if he came near me in one.
    As I said originally I would never go in one if there were any cyclists around. Usually it's just to temporarily go around a car because filtering through the centre is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

If often use both bus lanes and bicycle lanes. Dipping in and out as needs be.
    The cycle lanes are very handy along the canal heading in and out of town ;). But I do keep my distance from the cyclist.
    And yes I know I shouldn't use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Shtanto wrote: »
    Pardon this zombie post, but I was pulled over on my bike coming home. A plain clothes garda as well (possibly idle on this, a Saturday) from Irishtown Garda station, pulled me over to tell me that bikes aren't allowed in bus lanes, though it depends on the sign. Apparently some bus lanes you can, but I'll be damned if I know where they are.

For example at the junction of South Great Georges St and Dame St in Dublin. Bus lane on the right but the sign says it's okay for motorcycles to turn right - hence must be okay for motorcycles to use that bus lane... unless they expect us to turn right from the left hand lane.

385680.JPG

Then again, maybe the garda was simply referring to the standard bus lane hours of operation as displayed on signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's a bit of a funny one as although it's marked "Bus Lane" on the road, there's no blue bus lane sign and it's that (not the road paint) which legally makes it a bus lane.

Same thing on Pearse St.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Slightly off topic, I had a foreign tourist actually stand in front of me last night and stop me mounting a large footpath because she "thinks I cant do that" !! She put her life in danger as I was actually in the middle of the manoeuvre to enforce something she knew nothing about !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Is it safe to assume you told her to "GF!" And ran her over?!

zubair wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume you told her to "GF!" And ran her over?!

Pretty much, she even tried to tell me she was a Garda !! I asked her to call for backup :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

D3V!L wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, I had a foreign tourist actually stand in front of me last night and stop me mounting a large footpath because she "thinks I cant do that" !! She put her life in danger as I was actually in the middle of the manoeuvre to enforce something she knew nothing about !!

Would have been a shame if you drove on her foot.
    Stuff like that annoys me. Geebag should mind her own business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »

She was right, footpaths are only for pedestrians. You can't ride a bicycle, motorbike or park a car with its wheels on a footpath. You can only cross them if the path is dished to allow access.

Del2005 wrote: »
    She was right, footpaths are only for pedestrians. You can't ride a bicycle, motorbike or park a car with its wheels on a footpath. You can only cross them if the path is dished to allow access.

QUICK TO THE BATMOBILE , ROBIN, something is afoot !! :rolleyes:

Advertisement