Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neutering a dog in heat- Wicklow

• 04-05-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an 8 month old pup who went into heat yesterday. I was planning on getting her done last weekend but life got in the way. I really need to get her neutered as she goes to a dog minder who has unspayed male dogs and I don't want her to get caught which can always happen no matter how vigilant the minder is. I rang a couple of vets today but no one will take her and said I have to wait 6 weeks to get it done:(

Does anyone know of a vet that will neuter when a dog is in heat in the Wicklow/north Wexford/south Dublin area?

Also is there really a good reason as to why they won't do it when she is in heat? I had a dog before that got caught and the vet did it no problem, but won't do it now.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

There are two main reasons that you dont spay dogs in heat.

The first is that because of the heat the area is very very vascular compared to later in the cycle so there is an increases risk of hemorrhage and complications during the op.

The second reason is that spaying a bitch in heat can cause Pseudopregnancy
    because it messes up the dogs hormones by causing an abrupt stop in the amount of Progesterone -which the womb makes at this time and is linked to pregnancy.

Even if you can find a vet to do it,I wouldnt advise spaying at this time.

You might be able to find one who can put her on a drug to suppress the Heat but again there are complications to those as well :(

Id just wait out your few weeks and have her in as soon as she's finished to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would be absolutely stunned if you could find a vet that will spay her while she's in heat anywhere in the country. As the previous poster says, it is too dangerous for the bitch, she could haemorrhage. Actually, I doubt that the vet would have spayed her last weekend, once they'd examined her, as she would have been too close to her heat even then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You cant get her spayed while shes in heat like the other posters said.

You will just have to go through this heat and be very very careful, and dont send her to the dog minder until shes over her heat as it will be too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 volvick

She will die if you try do it now! and there are other risks or future problems, if you love your dog keep her at home for the next few weeks. Give her loads of toys to play with while your at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I would be shocked to find out if you did find a vet that would spay a dog in heat. Surgery and anaesthesia carry risks at any time but the risk is increased significantly if the animal is in heat because there is a greater blood supply to the area and haemorrhage is very likely. Wait about six weeks after she's over her heat. If she's bleeding at the moment, wait another five to six weeks at least. Phone your vet then and see what they say, they could examine her and see if it can be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement